Hacking Question What can/can't be done with SX OS Pro?

Shoruk3n

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi all,

So I placed an order for SX OS Pro about 2 weeks ago and will be shipped a dongle from batch 4, but as I'm reading the forums I'm unsure if I should cancel or not. What I would like to be able to do is dump my cartridge games to my SD card and just play offline single player stuff. Is this an option with SX OS? Is it/will it be an option with reiNX/atmosphere/any other CFW? Thanks!

Draxzelex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So far, the only advantage SX OS carries is the ability to play .XCI files. With the release of ReiNX and the signature patch kernels, we can load .NSP files without the need for DevMenu or SX OS. However, all .NSPs without SX OS work on firmware 5.1 only. With the Tinfoil homebrew application, you can install .NSP files on any firmware with SX OS. SX OS doesn't directly support dumping games, but through community developed homebrew, you can do so. Also, SX OS currently does not offer a way to backup your NAND which you can do with Hekate.

Last edited by Draxzelex,

Kyuuketsuki

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
You can dump your cartridges without SX-PRO, but it does allow you to play them with ease of not having to download and setup additional tools.

It's by far the easiest way of playing your downloads legally acquired backups. B-)

Shoruk3n

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So far, the only advantage SX OS carries is the ability to play .XCI files. With the release of ReiNX and the signature patch kernels, we can load .NSP files without the need for DevMenu or SX OS. However, all .NSPs without SX OS work on firmware 5.1 only. With the Tinfoil homebrew application, you can install .NSP files on any firmware with SX OS. SX OS doesn't directly support dumping games, but through community developed homebrew, you can do so. Also, SX OS currently does not offer a way to backup your NAND which you can do with Hekate.

You are very helpful in like every thread I've seen on this board, thank you. :) I'm still learning all the terms here, let me see if I'm on the right track...so a .xcl file is a cartridge dump, and a .nsp is a package game installer that has been downloaded through Nintendo's online service, correct?

You can dump your cartridges without SX-PRO, but it does allow you to play them with ease of not having to download and setup additional tools.

It's by far the easiest way of playing your downloads legally acquired backups. B-)

Lol. So if SX OS was free, it would probably be the go-to solution for the community?

Draxzelex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You are very helpful in like every thread I've seen on this board, thank you. :) I'm still learning all the terms here, let me see if I'm on the right track...so a .xcl file is a cartridge dump, and a .nsp is a package game installer that has been downloaded through Nintendo's online service, correct?
Correct. Currently, the only way to obtain .NSP files are by downloading the .NCA files from Nintendo's CDN and converting them into .NSP which is weird because the guy that first made that tool also made a raw .NSP converter which does not work as well as his CDNSP tool

Shoruk3n

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Correct. Currently, the only way to obtain .NSP files are by downloading the .NCA files from Nintendo's CDN and converting them into .NSP which is weird because the guy that first made that tool also made a raw .NSP converter which does not work as well as his CDNSP tool

Interesting. Are there games that are available exclusively as one format? And is it not possible for an individual to acquire and distribute a game in the form of a .nsp?

Draxzelex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Interesting. Are there games that are available exclusively as one format? And is it not possible for an individual to acquire and distribute a game in the form of a .nsp?
Yes but I don't know of any lists off the top of my head. I know that Yooka-Laylee for example is an eShop exclusive. Outside of that, using a CDNSP, anyone can obtain games in the .NSP format and distribute them and have already begun distribution if you know where to look.

Shoruk3n

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yes but I don't know of any lists off the top of my head. I know that Yooka-Laylee for example is an eShop exclusive. Outside of that, using a CDNSP, anyone can obtain games in the .NSP format and distribute them and have already begun distribution if you know where to look.

Hmm, so I think there's a thread that lists the filenames of such distributions, right? The release database maintained by PRAGMA?

From what I gather reading the other active threads (eg. Nintendo banning from CDN), using some kind of homebrew to access the eShop is pretty much a guaranteed ban is it not?

Draxzelex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hmm, so I think there's a thread that lists the filenames of such distributions, right? The release database maintained by PRAGMA?

From what I gather reading the other active threads (eg. Nintendo banning from CDN), using some kind of homebrew to access the eShop is pretty much a guaranteed ban is it not?
I thought the one maintained by Pragma was a list of titles that work under LayeredFS. Or maybe he has another list of games that I'm not thinking of. Anyways, nothing is a guaranteed ban as none of us work for Nintendo. What we can say is that using any kind of CDN tool with your own console's certificate has a high chance of banning you because not everyone has been banned for using it yet.

Shoruk3n

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I thought the one maintained by Pragma was a list of titles that work under LayeredFS. Or maybe he has another list of games that I'm not thinking of. Anyways, nothing is a guaranteed ban as none of us work for Nintendo. What we can say is that using any kind of CDN tool with your own console's certificate has a high chance of banning you because not everyone has been banned for using it yet.

This is the tread I was referencing.

As far as certificates go, is it analogous to a serial #? So my console has a unique identifier that is used when connecting to CDN? Do cartridges then have unique certificates as well?

Draxzelex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This is the tread I was referencing.

As far as certificates go, is it analogous to a serial #? So my console has a unique identifier that is used when connecting to CDN? Do cartridges then have unique certificates as well?
Hmm, I guess not that many people use it nowadays unfortunately. But it does useful if he is keeping it up-to-date.

Moving on, your console has a unique identifier that is not your serial number embedded within it. When they are made in the factory, they are christened with these console certificates and is used for all online access. Game cartridges on the other hand have a separate certificate needed to play games online. This was the case during the 3DS era as well except now Nintendo has the ability to flag games being played online when the injected certificate doesn't match the base game. Because of this, Nintendo now can also simply ban the certificate being used to play the game online rather than the console (or the console as well). The full details of what I just said come from here: https://www.reddit.com/r/SwitchHacks/comments/759myu/the_eshop_and_cdn_explained_switch_edition/

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: No those are just incoming calls +1