What are the VR apps like?

Discussion in 'Mobile Phones and Media Players' started by Harsky, Oct 23, 2015.

1. Harsky
    OP

Harsky Madmin

Aug 2, 2004
    I've been browsing ebay and I saw some of those "VR headsets" where you can put in your phone as the display and use it as a cheap VR unit. Is this just a cheap gimmick or is it fun to use now and again?

2. DSAndi

DSAndi GBAtemp Regular

Jul 18, 2008
    Gambia, The
    Depents: i got a cardboard VR Set for my Smartphone.
    Android has a lot VR Apps. For me its more a gimmick because i dont have magnet switch to really play most things.
    The 3D effect is nice but i recommend a high resolution display. 1080p or even higher.
    Just because if you go lower you will see dots because of the zooming factor.

Otherwise it seems fine. I think you can also stream games to your Device and use cardboard for VR, but the resolution will suck.

But i would rather wait for a HTC Vive to use with PC.
    Elite Dangerous works great with VR and seems to be the best commercial VR game to date.

3. T-hug

T-hug Always like this.

pip Chief Editor
    Oct 24, 2002
    England
    I tried it last week on my Galaxy S6 Edge and it worked really nice. Tried a Rollercoaster app, Sisters, Divergent VR, Insidious 3 VR and Orbulus. They were all fun (Twins and Insidious are pretty scary lol) but it is a novelty and something to show friends when they come round.
    I paid £2 for the google cardboard from ebay and I haven't messed with it since. It's worth the try if you have a good phone though imo.
    I can't see myself spending any real time with it now but if anyone knows of any other good apps to use with it please post them!

4. Selim873

Selim873 Nunnayobeesnes

Jul 31, 2010
    United States
    Chillin' with Bob Ross
    I was curious about this as well. I was hoping Keep Talking and Nobody Explodes would be compatible, but it seems to only work with that expensive set that Samsung has exclusively for their phone. Kinda weird though, the PC version just uses the Oculus and an Xbox controller, so I assumed the Android version would just need Cardboard along with SixAxis or something.