Hardware What about the 3DS's build quality?

Arnold Schwarzen

Trophies
Website
gov.ca.gov
XP
Country
United States
The E3 units look really durable and a lot more so than any of the previous DS models. If we get anything like what we've seen the build quality will be excellent as per usual and you'll have to go at it with a hammer to damage the hinge. I see no separation on the hinge like what is present on the DS Lite/i/XL so I don't see how it could break on its own. I applaud Nintendo for that and will if this is true for the final units.

omgpwn666

Guy gamer and proud!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ive had my DS phat, DS lite, and DSi so far since launch and they're all fine except for the hinge on my DS lite. My friend sat on it while we were playing Brawl.

MelodieOctavia

Just your friendly neighborhood Transbian.
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
yourmom.com
XP
Country
Djibouti
Jerald214 said:
Well, I'm just curious, how well-built do you think the 3DS will be? Sure hope that Nintendo has learned about the issues with the DS lite and DSi's shoulder button and hinge issues. (I've got a DS lite, R button is broken with a cracked hinge. I also have a DSi, the L button won't work properly anymore.)
smile.gif

I play my Lite on a daily basis. My brother got it on launch day, and I bought it from him, and it still works like a charm. Seriously, you people must be throwing your shit down the stairs or some shit.

YayMii

hi
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
xcdjy said:
What do you people do to your DS's to make the hinges break?
Shaking it violently/slamming it closed causes the hinge to become weaker and weaker.
I broke mine when my dad startled me while I was playing. I was lying on my bed.

Arnold Schwarzen

Trophies
Website
gov.ca.gov
XP
Country
United States
I've actually thrown my lite around (though not on real hard surfaces) but yeah a bunch of times on the carpet accidental or on purpose and not a dent. I'm surprised I'm not seeing a hairline crack on the hinge in the 4 years that I have had it.

EDIT: Also purposely opened and closed the hinge real quick (to fully open position) with one or two hands many times.

Elritha

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
I treat my DS Lite with care, not too rough on it or the buttons. No cracks or faulty buttons yet. Purchased soon after it was launched.

I can see Nintendo trying to make the 3DS more durable than the DS. Will mean less repairs for them and more profit in the long term.

Hanafuda

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
FWIW, shoulder buttons are a 'relatively' easy fix. You need the triwing screwdriver or gamebit or whatever special tools are needed to disassemble, but I've managed to get shoulder buttons working like new on SNES controllers, Gameboys, and DS units a number of times. Just disassemble and give the microswitch for the shoulder button a short blast with some contact cleaner. You can get it at RadioShack, etc. Work the switch a few times before the cleaner evaporates. Put it all back together and I'll betcha that shoulder button works again. I wouldn't do this to anything still under warranty, but once its past warranty you've really got nothing to lose by giving this a try.

davidsl_128

GBAtemp Brightsider
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Colombia
TM2-Megatron said:
xcdjy said:
What do you people do to your DS's to make the hinges break?

This.

Do you guys take hammers to them or something? I've had a DS Lite since launch, and it's still in perfect condition. It even looks pretty new, if I take the time to polish the fingerprints/etc. off the casing. I dunno how you're doing it, but you need to learn to treat your stuff better.
Well my hinge broke from normal usage
frown.gif
With normal usage I don't mean super careful using (sure I try to prevent any falls or stuff like that, and I clean it every 2 or 3 months, but I don't treat it like is was made of glass
laugh.gif
). Besides, one of the target audiences for the DS/3DS are kids, which tend to handle things in a less careful way, so they should be sturdier.

So I do hope the 3DS will be sturdier
smile.gif

Nollog

Trophies
XP
Country
Ireland
SamAsh07 said:
You need to play like a normal human, I have a DS phat since its launch and its in perfect condition, DS lite since 2008 and its perfecto, DSi since this January and its also perfectly fine, I don't see any problem in their qualities. Its not the handheld, its the holder.
Well Said.

Hanafuda

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Anectdotal obsevation, but the white DSLite's seems to have the cracked hinge problem more than others. My oldest kid has a black launch DSLite that works well, no hinge crack, that he passed onto his little sister when he later decided he wanted a crimson/black one. The crimson/black one is also still 100% like new. And he is HARD on gadgets. On the other hand, my white launch DSLite lasted 4 months before getting the right-side hinge crack. Returned for a warranty replacement, which also got it within 6 months. Returned for another replacement, which got it after a year and a half. When I contacted Nintendo for the replacement the 2nd time around I begged them for a different color and they wouldn't do it. I've continued using the 3rd white replacement for the last two years with the crack, and about a week ago the hings finally gave way and now swings loose. I'm probably going to buy one of the cobalt/black DSLite's while I still can ... my M3DSReal won't work on the DSi and I expect it'll be a while before we have a well-developed option for the 3DS.

tabboo

Trophies
XP
Country
i had a ds original, and gave that waay because the hinge came off. i bought a DSLite, and it wore out within the year.i got my warranty, i now have a black DSLite, and that has lasted over 2 years
smile.gif
very sturdy.... or is that just because i have a case??

Isabelyes

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Netherlands
I've got a DSi for little more than a year,
and the R button is completely broken,
the top half is somewhat 'moveable',
and I've, sadly, also experienced my L button not working, lately.

I treat my DSi the best I can. I've been extremely careful with it since I got it.
It never fell, I never shake it, I never hit it or anything...
Believe me when I say that I know no one who treats his stuff better than I do.

My DSLite also had a cracked hinge, but that could be because my 'somewhat' more chaotic brother played on it sometimes.

When I still had a DSLite, I always thought it was the people's fault for not treating their consoles right.
Now, however, I know that it can absolutely happen to anyone, and that these problems are sheer coincidence. Ofcourse, trying to eat your DS will help breaking it, too, but DSes are just really random.

Some break, some don't. I've even seen the DSLite of my neighbour break,
but he always takes it to restaurants etc. (yeah, it's weird) and never takes good care of his stuff,
because 'his parents will always buy him new ones'.

I sincerely hope that Nintendo will make the 3DS a lot sturdier - or at least gives us better L & R Buttons.

Nollog

Trophies
XP
Country
Ireland
Hanafuda said:
I'm probably going to buy one of the cobalt/black DSLite's while I still can ... my M3DSReal won't work on the DSi and I expect it'll be a while before we have a well-developed option for the 3DS.
You could maybe buy a few 3DS games before robbing the company of millions by pirating the 3DS games after you get a hack...

Hanafuda

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Nollog said:
Hanafuda said:
I'm probably going to buy one of the cobalt/black DSLite's while I still can ... my M3DSReal won't work on the DSi and I expect it'll be a while before we have a well-developed option for the 3DS.
You could maybe buy a few 3DS games before robbing the company of millions by pirating the 3DS games after you get a hack...

yeah, preach on, mr. perfect. I'm raising two kids here and Nintendo gets hundreds from me every year. The 1st party games we like get bought, and there are multiple Wii's and DS's in the house. I was only speaking of buying for yours truly in that post above ... I'll be buying at least two 3DS's, with games, for my kids before Daddy even thinks about getting one.

Jerald214

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Even my two cousins(who both have DS lites) have hinge problems. And they take real good care of them too.

Edit: Too bad we can't have our DSes fixed here in the Philippines. No customer support center here with Nintendo or anything
frown.gif

Can't even participate with Club Nintendo to register our systems and get rewards.

Pcygigas

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Senegal
my only concern is the Slide pad.
the psp slim analog stick seriously suck,And its gonna suck even more if the slide pad is spoils after half a year.
I always put my dsl in the pouch, so far no problems at all(my DS was roughly 4 years old).

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Keep current Gen consoles stock mod last gen imo