TrollyX

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
Hello everyone,

I read about NDS Contraint when it came out and I was pretty excited about it. However, it seems that I won't be able to get online, since I can't make a WEP hotspot...

If you don't want to read about my suffering, skip to the bold part :D
Things I have tried:
  • Open Hotspot using my Android phone
  • Ad-Hoc Network using my laptop.
  • I can't use the Nintendo WiFi USB Connector.
  • Connectify doesn't work on Windows XP. (Neither does Virtual Router, at least for me)
  • Using an old router as an AP only to understand it it not wireless (pfffft...)
My questions:
  1. Is there any other method to connect to active servers that doesn't include a WEP connection?
  2. Is there any method to connect to a WEP hotspot?

UPDATE: Sorry for making this thread. Apparently, my router supports an option to have a second SSID, which I enabled and made it open WEP. I connected and I can now play. If anyone is struggling to connect and his router supports this, it works like a charm.

Last edited by TrollyX,
Reactions: Milozaki

Ryccardo

Penguin accelerator
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Is there any other method to connect to active servers that doesn't include a WEP connection?
Use an unencrypted network ;)

Apparently, my router supports an option to have a second SSID, which I enabled and made it open WEP. I connected and I can now play. If anyone is struggling to connect and his router supports this, it works like a charm.
That's pretty much the only trivial way (apart from using a second physically separate AP):

on Windows some older wireless cards (and independent programs like Connectify, iirc) came with ugly replacements for XP SP2's built-in wifi support that included hotspot features, but they were pretty much instantly dropped when Win7 came out with its native hotspot features - on Linux (I tried on ubuntu 18.4 iirc) you can run a WEP hotspot with NetworkManager (manual configuration editing needed) but once connected I couldn't actually get online with it...

TrollyX

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
Use an unencrypted network ;)

That's pretty much the only trivial way (apart from using a second physically separate AP):

on Windows some older wireless cards (and independent programs like Connectify, iirc) came with ugly replacements for XP SP2's built-in wifi support that included hotspot features, but they were pretty much instantly dropped when Win7 came out with its native hotspot features - on Linux (I tried on ubuntu 18.4 iirc) you can run a WEP hotspot with NetworkManager (manual configuration editing needed) but once connected I couldn't actually get online with it...

Well, the built-in hotspot features of newer Windows versions don't seem to be working for my DSi. I connected to it but couldn't get online. I think that the DS(i) can't work with ad-hoc networks? I am not sure about it.

Ryccardo

Penguin accelerator
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Well, the built-in hotspot features of newer Windows versions don't seem to be working for my DSi. I connected to it but couldn't get online. I think that the DS(i) can't work with ad-hoc networks? I am not sure about it.
The hotspot (hostednetwork) feature creates a WPA(2?) infrastructure network and you don't get a choice about that; and like any WPA infrastructure network, it only works with software capable of using the DSi's wireless card as opposed to the DS'es

The option to create an adhoc network is separate, and I am fairly sure no Nintendo product ever made supports them (and the concept as a whole probably deserves a mention here)

Reactions: TrollyX

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye: you can fap to your favorite character without it being gay