Hardware Weird N3DS issue c-stick malfunction!

Benja81

GBATemp Sporaddict
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I am having the dumbest issue with my N3DSXL Majora's mask edition, and c-stick drift. At first I thought it was a gyro malfunction, because it would only occur while holding the 3DS at certain angles. For examplei if I'm lying down is when I first noticed it. I discovered last night that something is actually botched possibly internally between the lid hatch and the c-stick. If I am playing a game that uses the c-stick for looking around, I found that as I am closing the lid, it literally pushes the c-stick down as though I am looking down, my game shifts down at the same speed I am closing the lid. And at certain angles, it seems that the weight of the lid alone, without closing it, pushing down on the console makes it think I am pushing the c-stick down as well :(

I know this is a very odd issue but I have confirmed thats whats happening for sure, its not a sync issue with the c-stick or anything like I thought at first. Maybe someone with extensive internal knowledge of the N3ds hardware can imagine how this would be possible or know of a fix :(

Benja81

GBATemp Sporaddict
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Since its suck a weird issue, here is a video of what I mean, clear as day when I lower the lid it drifts downward from the c-stick, wth?!!

Benja81

GBATemp Sporaddict
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You could send it to Nintendo for repairs unless you have CFW, otherwise I don't know how to fix it sorry.
Thanks for looking at the thread. So I've narrowed it down to homebrew games, I fired up Majora's Mask which uses the c stick for looking, and it doesn't happen! :)

Edit: It happens with Majora's Mask and Moon Chronicals also, just didn't notice it at first, its much less pronounced and only at the slightest angle on those games, but is happening. I might not have noticed it at all if I didn't know about it. Maybe cstick is too sensitive on the homebrew games?

Last edited by Benja81,
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Use the 3DSident-GUI app. Press (START) and (SELECT) at the same time to pull up the button tester.

You can track the drift by gauging the read out, C Stick: ####, ####

The c-stick might be contaminated with dirt or grim that is sticking or nudging the pressure ever so slightly away from neutral.

You can try ripping off that crappy stock nub, removing the battery (for electric safety), cleaning the c-stick peg area with a soft bristle toothbrush dipped in 91% isopropyl rubbing alcohol, and blow drying on low heat + slow fan speed with a hair dryer with sweeping motions. Be careful not to burn or melt the plastic sheet covering the lower screen digitizer.

Upgrade the c-stick with either the PSP-1000 cap or Lenovo Super Low Profile TrackPoint nub.

There's a possibility the strain gages within the c-stick have been permanently deformed or damaged from excessive directional presses due to poor grip from the terrible stock nub.
You would be required to fix this by replacing the c-stick part.

Reactions: Benja81

Benja81

GBATemp Sporaddict
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Use the 3DSident-GUI app. Press (START) and (SELECT) at the same time to pull up the button tester.

You can track the drift by gauging the read out, C Stick: ####, ####

The c-stick might be contaminated with dirt or grim that is sticking or nudging the pressure ever so slightly away from neutral.

You can try ripping off that crappy stock nub, removing the battery (for electric safety), cleaning the c-stick peg area with a soft bristle toothbrush dipped in 91% isopropyl rubbing alcohol, and blow drying on low heat + slow fan speed with a hair dryer with sweeping motions. Be careful not to burn or melt the plastic sheet covering the lower screen digitizer.

Upgrade the c-stick with either the PSP-1000 cap or Lenovo Super Low Profile TrackPoint nub.

There's a possibility the strain gages within the c-stick have been permanently deformed or damaged from excessive directional presses due to poor grip from the terrible stock nub.
You would be required to fix this by replacing the c-stick part.
Thanks! I always thought about doing this, maybe now is the time then.

EDIT: If anyone has this problem SPECIFICALLY WITH HOMEBREW GAMES the c-stick for looking up and down on games like eduke3d, ctrquake, ctrhexen ii, turns out the issue is just that the sensitivity was set way too high. Turn down sensitivity in settings and the issue stopped happening :)

Last edited by Benja81,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: This movie rip so werid has 10180p quality but the audios ripped with movie theater audio quality