The One
OP
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
Sri Lanka
It's been a few weeks having a weird problem with windows 10. The CPU goes upto 100% when I open up a youtube video only, and then the mouse movement starts stuttering, audio sounds glitchy and overall the system starts acting in a low fps basically, and oddly enough, when the video is closed, everything goes back to normal, I really wonder what's up.
Checking the task manager, the only thing kinda suspicous is the "System and compressed memory" spiking up cpu usage, but other than that there's nothing weird, but the performance tab does show a 100% spike graph.

0c03cd6cc2.jpg

This is really annoying and I haven't been able to open up a youtube video in peace for ages since, a regular youtube tab works fine, but as an html5 video is played, my system gets possessed, not sure about other sites with html5 videos. Any ideas or solutions? ;(

EDIT: The System and compressed memory cpu usage goes up to 30% most of the time.

Last edited by Jiehfeng,

Originality

Chibi-neko
Trophies
Website
metalix.deviantart.com
XP
Country
Open up the resource manager and find out what threads have the highest usage when the CPU is at 100% usage, that will give you more information to guide you.

Also, what resolution are you playing your videos at? 480p? 720p? 1080p?

Jiehfeng

The One
OP
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
Sri Lanka
Open up the resource manager and find out what threads have the highest usage when the CPU is at 100% usage, that will give you more information to guide you.

Also, what resolution are you playing your videos at? 480p? 720p? 1080p?

You mean the resource monitor? Will do, but what do you mean by what threads have the highest cpu usage?

928e10e726.png

All I see is the processes, sorry I haven't used resource monitor before... :P
And I watch them all at 480p.

migles

All my gbatemp friends are now mods, except for me
Trophies
XP
Country
China
i have somehwat a similair issue,
the biggest process i have is 300 mb, the next is about 100 for another 2 about 50 mg, and then it's just a bunch of 2-4 mb processes
so how can this fill up 1.8gb of memory... it doesn't make sence

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

here's a screenshot, my computer has 3gb of ram (i know it's not much, i had 4 gb, but i had to remove 1 stick since it was not working propertly, it was corrupted)

task manager.png

Last edited by migles,

KSP

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's been a few weeks having a weird problem with windows 10. The CPU goes upto 100% when I open up a youtube video only, and then the mouse movement starts stuttering, audio sounds glitchy and overall the system starts acting in a low fps basically, and oddly enough, when the video is closed, everything goes back to normal, I really wonder what's up.
Checking the task manager, the only thing kinda suspicous is the "System and compressed memory" spiking up cpu usage, but other than that there's nothing weird, but the performance tab does show a 100% spike graph.

0c03cd6cc2.jpg

This is really annoying and I haven't been able to open up a youtube video in peace for ages since, a regular youtube tab works fine, but as an html5 video is played, my system gets possessed, not sure about other sites with html5 videos. Any ideas or solutions? ;(

EDIT: The System and compressed memory cpu usage goes up to 30% most of the time.
You need to click on the CPU tab on your taskmanager, this will categorize all running tasks according to CPU usage. From there you need to recreate the 100% CPU spike by going to Youtube and watch carefully because the culprit of the CPU spike will show up momentarily a the very top of the task manager because you've ordered it by highest CPU usage by clicking on the CPU tab.

Once you isolate the task that is causing the CPU spike, you need to either delete the software using the task or find a solution to fix it.

Jiehfeng

The One
OP
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
Sri Lanka
You need to click on the CPU tab on your taskmanager, this will categorize all running tasks according to CPU usage. From there you need to recreate the 100% CPU spike by going to Youtube and watch carefully because the culprit of the CPU spike will show up momentarily a the very top of the task manager because you've ordered it by highest CPU usage by clicking on the CPU tab.

Once you isolate the task that is causing the CPU spike, you need to either delete the software using the task or find a solution to fix it.

But I actually did that. And the process that came up was the system and compressed memory as in the OP, it's not a program oddly enough.

the biggest process i have is 300 mb, the next is about 100 for another 2 about 50 mg, and then it's just a bunch of 2-4 mb processes

here's a screenshot, my computer has 3gb of ram (i know it's not much, i had 4 gb, but i had to remove 1 stick since it was not working propertly, it was corrupted)

That's completely normal buddy, it's just the OS using a bit of RAM. ;)

chartube12

Captain Chaz 86
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
chrome can use a lot of resources. Each tab in chrome (and many other browsers now,) run under their own processes. Each taking up ram, cpu and in some cases gpu usage. it is actually recommended by google and microsoft to not run chrome, edge or opera without a PC with a minimum of 6 gb of ram. (if on windows 7 or newer) And if you lack the ram to not do more then 2 tabs

Last edited by chartube12,

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway

View attachment 50288
Memory usage by the kernel and drivers isn't shown in the processes tab. 3GB is just not enough these days. Even 4GB is pushing it. It will run but you might get low memory warnings and Windows crashing/freezing/turning into a slideshow if you try to play a game. 8GB is the least I would recommend otherwise you may have issues.

0c03cd6cc2.jpg

Your issue seems to be a very common one, a quick Google search shows many posts with the same problem. How much RAM do you have? Does the disk usage spike when you experience this problem? High disk usage tends to be what causes Windows to go into slideshow mode in my experience.

migles

All my gbatemp friends are now mods, except for me
Trophies
XP
Country
China
Memory usage by the kernel and drivers isn't shown in the processes tab. 3GB is just not enough these days. Even 4GB is pushing it. It will run but you might get low memory warnings and Windows crashing/freezing/turning into a slideshow if you try to play a game. 8GB is the least I would recommend otherwise you may have issues.
i stopped playing pc games a long time ago, this pc is too old, to upgrade it i would need to change everything, so new pc

but it's kinda bullshit now everything..
most stuff in there is related to windows and just shows a part of it :(

Jiehfeng

The One
OP
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
Sri Lanka
Your issue seems to be a very common one, a quick Google search shows many posts with the same problem. How much RAM do you have? Does the disk usage spike when you experience this problem? High disk usage tends to be what causes Windows to go into slideshow mode in my experience.

I think it is kinda common but almost all the solutions (or at least all that I found) didn't work for me. I have 8gigs or RAM (thinking to upgrade later). No it does not, just the CPU usage.

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
I think it is kinda common but almost all the solutions (or at least all that I found) didn't work for me. I have 8gigs or RAM (thinking to upgrade later). No it does not, just the CPU usage.
I'm not sure what the problem is. Maybe your RAM or HDD is failing? I've had some odd slowdowns and once or twice it was a sign of hardware failing but the other times I never really found a solution. The issues went away once I reinstalled Windows though.
It could also be your antivirus causing slowdowns when it's scanning accessed files in the background, it could be malware, it could be something you have installed (drivers, software) causing issues, it's hard to tell for sure. Reinstalling Windows might fix it since it would get rid of any drivers or software that might be causing the issue but there ought to be a better way to solve the problem.
Anyway, I think you would get better help if you asked on a computer troubleshooting/help forum such as bleepingcomputer. They know a lot more about fixing Windows issues than I or most people here do.

Reactions: Jiehfeng

Jiehfeng

The One
OP
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
Sri Lanka
I'm not sure what the problem is. Maybe your RAM or HDD is failing? I've had some odd slowdowns and once or twice it was a sign of hardware failing but the other times I never really found a solution. The issues went away once I reinstalled Windows though.
It could also be your antivirus causing slowdowns when it's scanning accessed files in the background, it could be malware, it could be something you have installed (drivers, software) causing issues, it's hard to tell for sure. Reinstalling Windows might fix it since it would get rid of any drivers or software that might be causing the issue but there ought to be a better way to solve the problem.
Anyway, I think you would get better help if you asked on a computer troubleshooting/help forum such as bleepingcomputer. They know a lot more about fixing Windows issues than I or most people here do.

It's hard to tell what is causing it, but surprisingly these few days the problem didn't happen at all, maybe I did something accidentally which fixed it, but I should wait and see... :unsure:
Since Windows 10 I've been experiencing a few issues, one being this, and the other is GTA V not working properly anymore. The keyboard is completely disabled in it and alt-tabbing from GTA V causes it to crash (not responding), and no one has had such an issue... I'll try out other forums.
Thanks for the help anyways. ^_^

Xanthe

Costco Executive Member
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Firefox and Chrome tends to be a resource Hog. Ever tried gaming with Firefox open? It's an absolute hog! Bluestacks will also take up a lot of your resources depending on what Apps you have. Try and disable some startup applications you do not need

Jiehfeng

The One
OP
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
Sri Lanka
I would also recommend using mps-youtube if you keep having issues with YT. Default youtube client is fucking terrible.

Yeah I agree I absolutely hate the html5 player, it's been eating up my bandwidth since the big update. Hopefully that fixes it, thanks.

Firefox and Chrome tends to be a resource Hog. Ever tried gaming with Firefox open? It's an absolute hog! Bluestacks will also take up a lot of your resources depending on what Apps you have. Try and disable some startup applications you do not need

I've dealt with such issues already, and when it comes to the resources it's pretty much only the RAM, gotta get myself an extra 8 soon. :D

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: LOL