Question Weird battery issues, any ideas?

Discussion in 'Switch - Exploits, Custom Firmwares & Soft Mods' started by AliceOnDrugs, Aug 15, 2018.

1. AliceOnDrugs
    OP

AliceOnDrugs Member

Newcomer
    Jul 4, 2018
    Argentina
    Hi guys,

My right rail pins bent because of a faulty jig and now the switch recognize it as wireless instead of handheld, even if it's attached, but it stills charges the joycon, so no biggie.

The issue i'm having, is since this happened, whenever I put my switch in sleep mode, it gets a little hot (not super hot, but a little) and the battery drain is kinda insane, If I've got 90% and I put it in sleep mode, once I grab it back, 3 hours later, I've got 57% battery.

I really don't know about this kind of stuff, but could it be because of the way it's charging de joycons? Could it be the bent pins on the switch?

Anyone had a similar issue?

Thanks in advance!

BTW, I cannot send it to repair 'cause I'm not from the states (I'm from Argentina) and there is no official nintendo service over here.

2. Pythonimus

Pythonimus Newbie

Newcomer
    Aug 5, 2018
    Bahamas, The
    Are two pins shorting somewhere?

3. olku

olku Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Oct 31, 2015
    Estonia
    Estonia
    Which pins are bent? Are they touching?

4. AliceOnDrugs
    OP

AliceOnDrugs Member

Newcomer
    Jul 4, 2018
    Argentina
    I think they are. Will check as soon as I get home, but if I recall correctly they are touching on the edge, I think it's the first 2 pins

5. thorasgar

thorasgar Checkout my evil Soon-in-ator™

Jul 3, 2010
    United States
    If you can’t fix the rail yourself an new rail is about $13 on eBay and a cell phone repair shop should be able to install it for you.

6. bundat

bundat ¿

Jul 25, 2018
    Antarctica
    Fixing it seems like it's a solderless job, just unscrewing some stuff, removing some connectors, then putting it all back together and screwing it all back in.

There's this step-by-step guide here with pictures for each step, try reading through it, it's a short read.
    I just read through it myself to confirm you don't have to solder anything:
    https://gbatemp.net/threads/fixing-worn-defective-controller-pins.513506/

thorasgar likes this.
  7. olku

olku Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Oct 31, 2015
    Estonia
    Estonia
    Shorted 9&10 pins shouldn't drain battery. Did it happen only once? It is possible that game you were playing didn't allow switch to sleep, there were problems with few games in the past, I think SMO and Rocket League were one of them.

8. guily6669

guily6669 GbaTemp is my Drug

Jun 3, 2013
    United States
    Doomed Island
    can't you just unbend the pins or put something like tape where its touching\shorting? (I mean just temporarily to see if it fixes the heating and battery drain, then you buy a new rail and just put the new in place of the old which is super easy...).