Hacking Wearing out?

DoodleMaestro

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well, after about two years I think my Edge is finally gonna bite it.
Frequently it registers as no card in my DS, and when playing games on it after about an hour the game will crash, no matter what game it is.
Is this normal?
Do the EDGE cards just wear out?
I mean, They're cheap, so it's no biggie, but I'm just wondering if I need to clean it or something, or if it's genuinely dying.

dbspanks

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It might just be a contact issue, I have had contact issues with 4 differnet cards, I can usually solve it by cleaning the card contacts and system contacts, Some cards also suggest using the paper trick, which calls for you to slide a small piece of paper uncer the contacts of the card to help it make better contact with the system. It could also be just dying but sounds more like the contact issue though.
Good Luck

DoodleMaestro

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ah, you're right.
I haven't had any trouble with it upon cleaning the contacts.
I'll hope it continues to go smoothly.
Thanks for the tip!
Also, I cleaned it with rubbing alcohol since I'm fairly certain that does no damage to hardware.
If you know of something better though, please let me know.

Maz7006

iSEXu
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I have to admit, that i am experiencing the same issue with my edge lately (also ahd mine for 2 years, got it in summer 08)

then again i think it just general wear and tear.

cleaning the contacts was a great plus for me, and also be gentle with it, dnt yank it out and in so many times

if you have a carrying case, remove the edge first (for it does stick out a bit and the case could possibly harm it)

hope it helps

trumpet-205

Embrace the darkness within
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
If you are using rubbing alcohol, make sure to use 91% concentrated instead of 70% for faster evaporation.

Nothing wrong using rubbing alcohol to clean PCB. In fact people even use it to clean mother board. Just let it dry for 10 minutes and you good to go.

dnniwa485

Trophies
XP
Country
bleh... lacquer thinner is the most preferred one to clean motherboard though.. not a alcohol.. because if you use alcohol, it contains 30% water that may possible still reside on your motherboard if you use it.

but if you use it.. wow you're lucky that your motherboard still working ehh.

and yeah.. since the issue here are the contacts.. why just use a pencil eraser ... it much much more safer that anything else. Plus that the eraser is widely available for you to use.

trumpet-205

Embrace the darkness within
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
dnniwa485 said:
bleh... lacquer thinner is the most preferred one to clean motherboard though.. not a alcohol.. because if you use alcohol, it contains 30% water that may possible still reside on your motherboard if you use it.

and yeah.. since the issue here are the contacts.. why just use a pencil eraser ... it much much more safer that anything else. Plus that the eraser is widely available for you to use.

That is why I say to use 91% alcohol. Perhaps you misread it? You can grab a bottle of 91% alcohol in Walmart for less than 2 dollars.

DoodleMaestro

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
trumpet-205 said:
dnniwa485 said:

That is why I say to use 91% alcohol. Perhaps you misread it? You can grab a bottle of 91% alcohol in Walmart for less than 2 dollars.

Just ignore him, he's either trolling or seriously stupid.

Todderbert

Korg Fanboy
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I personally use an audio/video head cleaner on my contacts. I've brought 30 year old colecovision carts back to life using a 320grit emery board and following it up with a contact cleaner.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: yawn