Votes: 7 36.8%

• Total voters

fikatr

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Turkey
really we need one no one is using da noob paradise everyone is using (including me)

Homebrew devolopment and flashcard & custom firmwares for questions

Majickhat55

The Red Woman
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The only thing you can really do is suspend members who open new threads continuously. Since it's free to join etc, you can't stop it by trying to direct the traffic. I think the Noob Paradise thread is the best we've got. Though I do see where some of them may feel ignored on the noob thread since questions get buried quickly and they never get an answer, if it's not a simple question I don't see the need to chastise for asking on a new one in that case. Meh

Reactions: Ryccardo

Majickhat55

The Red Woman
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Honestly, that section seems to be dead more or less. I see people asking on occasion here and there but what is the use if the majority of threads started have single digits in replies and still go unanswered? No one is going there to answer just as no one is going there to ask. Le sigh.....

mashers

Stubborn ape
Trophies
XP
Country
I hate those 'noob' threads. They're unwieldy threads with thousands of posts. I really don't think it's helpful for the following reasons:
  1. All of the questions and answers are in one thread making it really hard to keep track. It's like being in a room with everyone talking at the same time.
  2. The thread is huge, meaning it's hard to find information which has been posted previously
  3. There are no topic headings like there are with individual threads.

In my opinion the huge 'noob' threads are like taking a library of books which are all separated into categories and each have their own title, and trying to condense them down into one massive book.

This also makes it harder for new members to establish what has already been asked. If there's a thread with the title of the question they have, it seems much more likely to me that they'll read it than if the question is buried among thousands of other posts in a thread hundreds of pages long with nothing to separate each question.

My opinion is that the noob thread should be locked, and a noob forum created instead. The advantages of this would be:
  • There is a place for new members to create threads with their questions
  • RegulR visitors who don't want to see the noob questions can ignore the whole noob forum
  • New members directed to the noob forum could more easily see what has already been asked by looking through the titles of the threads, so this could actually reduce duplication of questions (of which I suspect there is a lot in the noob thread)

0x40

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't get why the moderators don't just merge threads like that into the noob paradise thread.

TheCyberQuake

Certified Geek
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
There is a difference between asking a legitimate question that isn't noobish and just asking a question that has already been answered 100 times over. But even the smart questions for some reason get shot down. And I've tried asking questions in the noob forum myself, and I got one reply, which instead of explaining why something wouldn't work (which is what I asked for), they just gave a simple no. If people would be more helpful with their answers and questions weren't buried pages deep in a mater of a few hours then maybe it would work, but with how it currently is the noob question paradise just doensn't work well, and that's caused by both those who question and those who answer.
If people would actually answer questions people post in threads then maybe they wouldn't be constantly asking those questions. But all that ever happens is they get directed to a thread with over 1000 pages where if you ask a question you will probably not even get an answer, or at least you won't get an answer that goes into enough detail to explain the answer, even when you ask why it isn't possible, and not just if it is possible.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uLN9qrJ8ESs