WDF = Wii Disc File

Discussion in 'Wii - Backup Loaders' started by Wiimm, Oct 4, 2009.

1. mousex

mousex GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jan 23, 2009
    United States
    He just said you should use .wbfs files instead of .wdf files because the size is nearly the same.

2. zx3junglist

zx3junglist Member

Newcomer
    Dec 24, 2009
    United States
    you're right, I guess I misread his post. So if I understand, there's really no advantages to implementing WDF support in loaders since we already have .wbfs file support?

3. Wiimm
    OP

Wiimm Developer

Aug 11, 2009
    Gambia, The
    Germany

4. fgghjjkll

fgghjjkll GBATemp MegaMan

GBAtemp Patron
    fgghjjkll is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jul 7, 2008
    I really don't know anything but what about a tiny space to fake a game's barcode one the disk (or whatever. BCA or something). It would stop MANY anti piracy checks...

5. sonicsleep

sonicsleep Member

Newcomer
    May 23, 2009
    I'm a little confused... Please tell me if I am understanding this right...
    So.. WDF is pretty much just the game without any rubbish data. It doesn't compress the entire thing, just the zeros. Because of this it is easy to convert into other formats. It also has the possibility of being used by usb loaders as well.

so a .wdf is pretty much the same as a .wbfs file except it's a much leaner system.

If the above is correct, you would be insane to bother with .wdf unless it was implemented by some usb loaders. Otherwise you could just use .wbfs which is a little bigger but can be used as either storage or to just play the game on the wii.

However if .WDF was picked up for usb loaders then I guess it would be the way to go.

6. Wiimm
    OP

Wiimm Developer

Aug 11, 2009
    Gambia, The
    Germany
    I have added the member 'bca_data'.

And what's about:
    - preferred_ios
    - preferred_title
    - load_counter

7. WaRMarinE

WaRMarinE GBAtemp Regular

Feb 19, 2009
    Mexico
    Mexico
    Epic WIN. LMAO!!

8. ChokeD

ChokeD The Contributor

Jul 18, 2009
    United States
    No, you don't wbfs backup manager reads rar files and unpacks scrubs and transfers files to HDD.

So, if I'm reading this stuff correctly the wdf file isn't compressed so to speak but yet trimmed of the data that doesn't need read by the Wii ?? Wouldn't that speed up the read times possibly preventing or helping lag in some games ???

Thanks for all the good stuff your putting out there for us.

9. Wiimm
    OP

Wiimm Developer

Aug 11, 2009
    Gambia, The
    Germany
    (de-)compressing ÂISOs is waste of time because the the needed data is crypt and have nearly the same size as uncompressed. WDF allows direct (random) access. For example, the tool 'wit' can scan or rename ID and title of a WDF very fast -- try this with a cISO.

I asked many times but nobody can tell me, what cIOS is in technical details. And so I had implemented WDF a half year ago. All my backpus are stored as WDF. I think WDF is better than any compressed format. And now we discuss a new extended version of WDF which is direct usable by usb loaders and store all additionally infos needed (like BCA). Oggzee made the first suggestions.

10. oggzee

oggzee GBAtemp Addict

Apr 11, 2009
    Slovenia
    To clear the cISO lack of info a little bit, ... I too was confused by it, and the reason is because there are 2 different cISO formats floating around:
    - one is by pismo tech: http://www.pismotechnic.com/ciso/
    which supports all kinds of compression and encryption and who knows what more
    - the other one used by hermes wbfs_win and wii backup manager and I think nubecoder ncWBFS tool (which uses the extension .wbi instead of .ciso exactly because a different .ciso format already exists)
    The two formats are not compatible in any way.
    The .ciso format by hermes (not sure if he is the original implementator) is very simple, does not support any kind of compression - only skipping of unused blocks (scrubbing), it's more similar to WDF and WBFS but much simpler, so this format too allows random access and is suitable for direct loading (which uLoader also supports)
    Basically cISO by hermes looks like this:

4 bytes: CISO
    4 bytes: block size (int32) (usually 4MB)
    32k-8bytes: byte map of used blocks
    DATA BLOCKS

in other words:

struct ciso_header {
    char tag[4];
    int32 block_size;
    char map[32*1024-8];
    };

So, data is 32k aligned and scrubbed.
    btw, I looked into how .ciso looks like only recently, since the only place where i could find this info is source code of hermes wbfs_win.

11. Wiimm
    OP

Wiimm Developer

Aug 11, 2009
    Gambia, The
    Germany
    @oggzee
    Thanx for info

12. pokeparadox

pokeparadox GBAtemp Regular

Dec 31, 2008
    WDF is a more refined format... it really SHOULD become widely supported by USB loaders, IMO.

13. WiiUBricker

WiiUBricker Insert Custom Title

Sep 19, 2009
    Argentina
    Espresso
    Why should I use WDF instead of simply trimming an ISO with WiiScrubber? The file size would be the same without any compression required and speed should also be similar to WDF.

14. Wiimm
    OP

Wiimm Developer

Aug 11, 2009
    Gambia, The
    Germany
    I have taken a look into the uloader sources. If extracting from WBFS the block size is the same as "wbfs_sec_sz" (WBFS sector size).

And after analyzing the CISO format I think there is only need for WDF V2 when additional info like BCA should be stored. Without more info CISO is a good container for scrubbed ISOs if the block size is a multiple of 32768 (the wii disc sector size). To keep the mapping table small greater minimal block size or a maximal block number might be required.

15. forbore

forbore GBAtemp Regular

Oct 30, 2008
    Canada
    /dev/canada/quebec
    It's been a while since I last followed what was happening on the scene (at least 6 months) but IMO WDF is a great format for Wii files. It's easy to use, very fast, and does not need any compression. I don't know about the other formats released "recently" but WDF works very well.

16. wishmasterf

wishmasterf GBAtemp Regular

Apr 20, 2009
    Australia
    Austria
    Is there any USB-loader which is able to use wdf?

17. Richardarkless

Richardarkless GBAtemp Regular

Dec 11, 2009
    wdf is old, wiimms newest creation is wia (wii iso archive) which makes games even smaller, unfortunately both wdf and wia is only used for backup purposes, not for usb game loading and it never will be

18. wishmasterf

wishmasterf GBAtemp Regular

Apr 20, 2009
    Australia
    Austria
    I know about that, but wia will never be used to load games in usb-loader because of the compression, but i think wdf could be used to load games.

19. sorgelig

sorgelig GBAtemp Regular

May 2, 2009
    Serbia, Republic of
    We already have WBFS. May be it's worse in saving space (due to 2mb chunks), worse structure, etc... But it was first and already implemented in all loaders. Someone (me for example) is keeping all Wii ISOs in WBFS file format. While WDF looks better, it's not revolutionary better. There is no reason to convert all you library to WDF. You won't get anything noticeable. Even adding new ISO as WDF is not reasonable since it's better to keep all ISOs in the same format.

WDF has been appeared tooo late, sorry.

20. Wiimm
    OP

Wiimm Developer

Aug 11, 2009
    Gambia, The
    Germany
    I agree mostly.

But WDF was there before WBFS files are used by USB loaders. I developed WDF to save disc space. Since the beginning of wwt/wit I'm using WBFS files instead of WBFS partitions for test purposes. If I remember right some month later oggzees has the idea to use WBFS files with only 1 image for USB loaders.