WDF = Wii Disc File

Discussion in 'Wii - Backup Loaders' started by Wiimm, Oct 4, 2009.

1. bowser

bowser Mwa ha ha ha!

Sep 1, 2008
    India
    GBAtemp ↑↑↓↓← → ← →BA
    You mean just for storing the file? Or so that you can play it on the Wii? The Wii can't read this format.

2. Wiimm
    OP

Wiimm Developer

Aug 11, 2009
    Gambia, The
    Germany
    WDF file are simple files that can be stored to a DVD. But such DVD can't be used with the Wii.

If you want to burn an ISO image just pipe it to the burning program like:
    wdf-cat image.wdf | the_burner (unix like; the linux program 'wdf-cat' already exists and is part of WWT)

3. lazyguy

lazyguy GBAtemp Regular

Oct 17, 2006
    Canada
    ciso need to be scrubbed for max compression right?
    does wdf need to be scrubbed before getting best compression

4. Wiimm
    OP

Wiimm Developer

Aug 11, 2009
    Gambia, The
    Germany
    In the moment: Yes.
    But import to a WBFS and export as WDF do scrubbing while writing the WDF.

5. Wiimm
    OP

Wiimm Developer

Aug 11, 2009
    Gambia, The
    Germany
    I have tested the 3 tools 'iso2wdf', 'wdf2iso' and 'wdf-cat' with more than 2 million files (mixed files including pictures and documents, but only 50 Wii ISO images) without any errors. This means that the 3 tools are stable and the usage is sure. For more details call the script './scripts/test-wdf-tools.sh' from the distribution without parameters.

The WWT tool has imported and exported my 50 ISO games with different options (--fast --iso --wdf --io 0..3 --cache) and no failure was found: The last output was always identically to the source.

Because of the positive tests, I declare WDF as ready for operation. I have already converted all of my games into WDF.

6. mousex

mousex GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jan 23, 2009
    United States
    How do you test iso2wdf and wdf2iso with pictures and documents? Shouldn't they just skip these files? [​IMG]

7. Wiimm
    OP

Wiimm Developer

Aug 11, 2009
    Gambia, The
    Germany
    Both program can handle any files not only ISO images:
    - iso2wdf searches files for holes (zero filled blocks) and builds the WDF file.
    - wdf2iso takes the WDF an builds the original file

The names are somewhat misleading. But when I planned the programs they were clearly intended to convert ISO to WDF and vice versa.

8. bowser

bowser Mwa ha ha ha!

Sep 1, 2008
    India
    GBAtemp ↑↑↓↓← → ← →BA
    Any chance of a Windows version of this tool? [​IMG]

9. Shuny

Shuny I'm in yr forum, reading yr postz

Nov 15, 2006
    France
    Somewhere in the world
    So, basically, it's a destructive format that uses what Dack discovered with his WiiScrubber a year ago, right ?

I'll keep using WiiScrubber I think,.

10. bowser

bowser Mwa ha ha ha!

Sep 1, 2008
    India
    GBAtemp ↑↑↓↓← → ← →BA
    But after using WiiScrubber you have to zip the ISO to achieve compression. And unzip it before adding it to WBFS. With this you can skip the extra zip/unzip steps.

11. Wiimm
    OP

Wiimm Developer

Aug 11, 2009
    Gambia, The
    Germany
    That's it! And compressing/decompressing costs a lot of time. WWT can handle WDF files fast and directly.

12. Wiimm
    OP

Wiimm Developer

Aug 11, 2009
    Gambia, The
    Germany
    A late answer, but now I know what I say [​IMG]

On the other hand I have used the linux tool 'wbfs' to build ideal sparse files. And wbfs uses the parameter ONLY_GAME_PARTITION.

13. the

the Advanced Member

Newcomer
    May 22, 2009
    Serbia, Republic of
    Moscow
    Time effective solutions are meaningful only when something long-running is run frequently

How frequently do you import or export game images to or from WBFS? I guess not much. So ordinary compressing solutions like RAR does the job very effectively, don't they?

14. mousex

mousex GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jan 23, 2009
    United States
    no

15. Wiimm
    OP

Wiimm Developer

Aug 11, 2009
    Gambia, The
    Germany
    Effective programming is always meaningful. And what are the advantages of rar against wdf?
    WDF supports fast random access. And this means that it can be used by usb loaders, sometimes.

16. the

the Advanced Member

Newcomer
    May 22, 2009
    Serbia, Republic of
    Moscow
    The random access is another one advantage when it is required to do frequently. And I agree that RAR isn't suitable for that.

But a periodical import / export operation isn't a such case

Meanwhile I also see this format useful it will be used by usb loaders, if it will be. So I have nothing against this format, but I think that at this moment its advantages aren't obvious

17. Kkolko

Kkolko GBAtemp Regular

Nov 22, 2008
    Belgium
    What's the difference between this and adding ISOs to a FAT formatted HDD using Wii Backup Manager? It scrubs the ISOs as well.

18. zx3junglist

zx3junglist Member

Newcomer
    Dec 24, 2009
    United States
    Speaking of which, have you gotten any idea if WDF can/will be implemented by any USB loaders? This would be the crowning achievement here, and would save on tons of disk space for those of us who chose not to use WBFS. If not, and if it is feasible, I'd suggest reaching out to some of the devs who are active in the community to see if they see the value in this.

Thanks
    -ZX

19. PapyJason

PapyJason Newbie

Newcomer
    May 3, 2008
    United States
    hi
    Wdf and wbfs files are very similar in term of size so it's already implemented in gx loader and cfg loader , reading directly a wbfs file from a fat or ntfs partition.Beside u have many posts who speak about this new implementation.

20. zx3junglist

zx3junglist Member

Newcomer
    Dec 24, 2009
    United States
    I hadn't heard of native support for WDF in either loader. I've got both installed so I suppose I'll give it a try. Are you quite sure about this?

thanks
    -ZX