WBFS Hard drive messed up!

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by Luckkill4u, Dec 10, 2009.

Dec 10, 2009

WBFS Hard drive messed up! by Luckkill4u at 1:13 AM (3,161 Views / 0 Likes) 19 replies

1. Luckkill4u
    OP

Member Luckkill4u SOLDIER

Canada
    Well about a while ago I converted my WD My passport eliet 500GB to WBFS on USB loader GX a couple months ago, but now i cant get it back to a normal format. It does not have a drive number, it wont show up on My Computer and it wont show up on drive manager. I tried everything i could think of and i looked around the internet but no luck. BTW i tried Partition wizard 4.0 and there is 2 games on it. So now im stumped...

2. Elritha

Member Elritha GBAtemp Addict

Canada
    Try going to control panel ->administrative tools -> computer management -> disk management.

From there you should be able to see your drive and assign it a drive letter, or format it.

Edit: Or just go to start -> run and type in 'compmgmt.msc' to get to the computer management screen.

3. Luckkill4u
    OP

Canada
    I already tried that the drive wont show

Is there a possibility of USB Loader GX formatting or telling what drive number it is?

4. Hells Guardian

Member Hells Guardian GBAtemp Maniac

United States
    if it doesn't show up in the disc managment tool then it's not an issue with format..... It's an issue with the drive not conecting correctly. It should show in the system as an unformatted drive partition. check the cable connecting it to the computer. If nothing else works does it work in the loaders and WBFS managers ect?

5. Luckkill4u
    OP

Canada
    It does connect to USB loader and a program called Active@ KillDisk but it wont format.

6. Riicky

Member Riicky GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    hook ur drive up to the pc and see what letter your wbfs manager assigns it, then try to format it through a command prompt

7. vigilantez

Newcomer vigilantez Newbie

Canada
    i had a problem today i reinstalled win7 and once i connected the hdd it reconized 2 drives 1 ask to format and other ntfs i installed a few programs and well the wbfs didnt show up anymore but it still worked on the wii

now if this is your problem it's pritty easy to fix if windows does not show you your drive

right click on my computer -> Properties -> Device Manager

now goto Disk Drives on the list expand tree

right click on you usb hdd and Uninstall

once unistall is done

refresh (Scan for Hardware Changes)

and it will work

good luck [​IMG]

8. Luckkill4u
    OP

Canada
    No luck, but thanx anyways. I think this drive is dead... it will be recognised by computer but thats about it... I wiped the whole disk permenatly and it took a very long time, about 15 hours and i still have this stupid problem. I tried WD FAT32 formatter but it has a error in reading drive capacity, so i can't format useing that. It might be a formatting problem.

9. vigilantez

Newcomer vigilantez Newbie

Canada
    did you try deleting partions and creating a sinlge 1 then format it NTFS ? and why in the wolrd would you wait 15 hours ? try and find some diagnostic tools for hdd's and check it out also

10. TroyTheZombie

Member TroyTheZombie GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Canada
  11. Luckkill4u
    OP

Canada
  12. Elritha

Member Elritha GBAtemp Addict

Canada
    You could grab a boot disk with some tools on it and try and format the drive out of windows. Sounds like it could be dead though.

13. Luckkill4u
    OP

Canada
    Hmn.. Partition Wizard now recognises it as a "Bad Disk", I'm almost sure the drive is dead now. I hope its warranty is still good maybe i could get a new one hehehe.

14. TroyTheZombie

Canada
    If its an I/O error, it is almost definitely a bad hard drive or casing.

15. Luckkill4u
    OP

Canada
    Any chance of a fix?

16. TroyTheZombie

Canada
    well, you can narrow down what the fault is I suppose.

Try a different hard drive in the casing, or try hooking up the hard drive directly to your computer (IDE cable for IDE drive, sata cable for sata) to see if it is detected that way.

should tell which of the 2 are bad. Then, replace whichever one is giving the issue.

you would have to look up how to open your specific casing however.

17. lolpatrol

Newcomer lolpatrol Newbie

Germany
    If you want make sure, your hdd is broken use one of WD's Harddrive tools "Data Lifeguard Diagnostic" for the WD Scorpio Blue series.
    I'm not sure it'll function properly through usb, so you might need to open your hdd case and connect the hdd directly through sata to your pc and run the tool.
    Also I recommend to use the dos version. If the tool shows that your disc is broken. ---> use your Warranty or get a new Drive.

Try another USB-Port or try to use a Y-wire to start the drive through 2 usbport

18. Luckkill4u
    OP

Canada
    I have one of the older My Passport Elites, not this one. I don't want to open my hard drive case because it could void my warranty and i tried the data Lifeguard Diagnostic and it could not find the hard drive.

19. Cyclonius

Newcomer Cyclonius Member

United States
    I had the same prob.....Tried it all and nothing but disk errors.....western digital replaced mine for free and did not ask for a receipt or anything they just wanted the serial number and a few other details.

20. Luckkill4u
    OP

Canada
    What did you use to get the replacement? I tried the website but they wanted me to send it in specialy boxed and pay $110. BTW my warranty says i one free replacement.

Edit:Nevermind, i dont have to pay $110, it was just the value of the drive.