Hacking WBFS Hard Drive completely wiped out

slicknixon

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So i had this 160GB drive hooked up to my Wii with 60 games installed which i mostly installed from discs. It took me days to get all the games on the drive.
So today I'm getting ready to use WBFS Manager for Mac (which i've used successfully for a long time now) when i leave the drive plugged into the USB port for about 20 mins while i go to take a shower. Well, when i come back i open WBFS Manager and to my surprise it will not recognize the drive. So i plug the drive back into the USB port on the Wii and go to the USB Loader when i receive a "this drive has not been formatted" message. Well, it looks like that god-forsaken piece of shit wiped out the drive. I am royally pissed at this app and i suggest that nobody uses it ever. It is going to take forever to get these games installed back onto the drive. I don't think i've ever been pissed at an app this much in my entire life. If it were alive, i would strangle the son of a bitch to death and throw it off a bridge.

slicknixon

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
just a quick update-

After thinking of other possible causes, i remembered that i forgot to power off the drive before unplugging it from the Wii and plugging it into the MacBook. The drive isn't USB-powered but instead has an AC adapter for power. I usually would turn the power off on the drive before unplugging the USB cable from the Wii, but does this really matter? I don't really want to comdemn the app if it wasn't the app's fault because i would like to use an updated version to get all of my games back onto the drive.

Could disconnecting the USB from the Wii without turning off the hard drive first be the reason the drive was wiped out?

harryk

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Australia
No. Turning off the power can only be worse, as you can interrupt the hard drive in the middle of a transaction. Maybe you should stop doing THAT and always unplug the USB cable FIRST.

brownmurder

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i have had this happenon my hard drive twice

i will be playing games 1 day and then the next day it will say no wbfs found

ClockWorK

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Mine displayed the same message a few times... with 40+ games on the drive. I went back to the PC and loaded WBFS manager.. It still showed all games on the drive. Wii still said drive wasn't formatted.

unplugged, replugged, shutdown, tried again.

Also, I made sure to do a 'safely remove hardware' when unplugging drive from pc.

after a few tries, wii recognized the partition again.

slicknixon

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well i tried unplugging, plugging back in etc. as well many times and still got the message. I've already reformatted and am reinstalling all the games. I'm only like 10 games in which to me is making good time but i've been doing the actual game discs first. The real bitches are the backup games which will sometimes start installing for like 30 mins and then the USB Loader will freeze and i have to try again until it copies without freezing. Not to mention all the games that i downloaded and installed and then deleted the original ISO file.. This is a real pain in the ass. It's going to take at least all night and most of tomorrow to get everything back onto the drive.

One thing i thought of though was the fact that i had a good bit of the drive filled with only about 25GB of space left. For about a month, i had 80GB free and had absolutely no problems and played games every day. For the people that had this problem, how much space did you have left before you got the message? Just out of curiosity.

mickthestud

Trophies
XP
Country
in my experience usb loaders are still very buggy and can be very unpredictable at times i would blame the usb loader over wbfs obviously when you put the hard drive into the wii the usb loader didnt pick uo your wbfs partition which can be a commen problem with some hard drives but why did you format it for you should have plugged it back into your computer to see if the games were still on the drive then you would now for sure what happened...

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Julie_Pilgrim @ Julie_Pilgrim:
    the internet
  • Julie_Pilgrim @ Julie_Pilgrim:
    @Psionic Roshambo i have 16 gb in my pc and i run into issues with ram more than i'd like to admit
  • HiradeGirl @ HiradeGirl:
    I got only 8GB of RAM. But I want 32GB.
  • Sonic Angel Knight @ Sonic Angel Knight:
    Time to just download more ram
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Yeah search Google
  • Sonic Angel Knight @ Sonic Angel Knight:
    Or, I also heard that if you use flash memory, it can act as more "RAM" at least windows tell me when I stick a flash drive into it.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It can act as a swap drive but that isn't more RAM, it's slooow.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I wish we could have 1Gbps external storage by now
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Like for micro
  • Veho @ Veho:
    New Myoo.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Veho, Yooo noice
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Looks like a Famicom handheld
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Yeah, they were going for that.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It's not very good though.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I'm watching the review, the emulators it uses suck bawls.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Software update might improve it.
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Or maybe someone will make like Emulation Station for it or something?
  • Veho @ Veho:
    That counts as a software update :tpi:
    +1
  • OctoAori20 @ OctoAori20:
    Ello
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I can think of the design teams process another joystick and no audio or a joystick and mono audio
  • Veho @ Veho:
    "You think we can just put the speakers at the top
    ?" "NO!"
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Pft stereo speakers you're fired
    +1
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Pft stereo speakers you're fired +1