Hacking wbfs files and regular files on same USB drive

svjness

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hia, I have successfully created a USB drive with .wbfs files on it that work with the Wii USB loader. I also have a separate USB drive that I have loaded up with various emulators and roms that work.

-For the .wbfs drive, I have had to format it as a wbfs in order to write the .wbfs files using wbfs manager.
-For the other drive is formatted as NTFS that the emulators are able to see

I have 1 large capacity PNY 128gb USB drive that I would like to consolidate everything to. I tried partitioning it, but neither the USB loader or emulators can see the partitions. Is there a way to have the .wbfs files and my emulators/roms on the same drive, and what should the drive be formatted as? With it formatted as .wbfs I can't find a way to put the regular emulator and rom files on it, and with it as NTFS or FAT32 I cant seem to write .wbfs files to it.

aether23

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
you can have a fat32 formatted drive (this is the filesystem) and have both .wbfs and .iso files on it. WBFS are smaller. Wiibackupmanager can handle that very nicely. Use that if you would like.

Remember to format your fat32 drive with 32kb cluster or smaller and make the partition you have the game images on active. This way you can have everything on it, homebrew apps, game images, gamecube images, etc

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
".wbfs file" are files stored on FAT32 or NTFS.
If you are using a WBFS partition, it's not a wbfs "file". There's no file in WBFS partition format.

Also, you can't format a partition as ".wbfs", but as "WBFS".
.wbfs = file extension used for games stored on FAT32 and NTFS. (example SMNP01.wbfs)
WBFS = partition format, which doesn't have any files and need a program to list the installed games.

Convert your WBFS partition to FAT32 using wbfs2fat (in my signature).
You will not lose your games and you will have a working partition in fat32 32k/cluster with .wbfs files compatible with USBLoaders.

Do not use "WBFS Manager" (and don't follow random old guides with outdated information and programs)
use WiiBackupManager.

svjness

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Wii Backup Manager worked like a charm.
Drive was FAT32
Wii Backup Manager created a wbfs folder, I imported all my .wbfs files via Wii Backup Manager
Dragged over my app folders to the drive from my desktop

Wii USB loader detected and loaded the .wbfs files
Emulators detected my ROMs

Thanks!

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: https://www.youtube.com/shorts/T78NsMwZOA0