DS App Studio™ Developer
OP
Trophies
Website
www.awsomisoft.com
XP
Country
United States
So, I was earlier noticing my internet was so bad, even though it is a really good internet, that i couldn't even access it. So, I was checking to see what the problem was. My webroot firewall was on, but my Windows Firewall was not. So, I turned it on and everything then was fine.

Was someone Ping Spamming my IP? My webroot firewall was on, so I didn't know. What I don't get is how someone could ping my IP if I don't port forward, because in order for communication to enter routers is if they port forward.

What do you think?

sergster1

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Do you use DSL or Cable? Also what time of day was this.

IIRC with Cable you share your internet connection bandwidth with the people within your neighborhood

With DSL you have a dedicated connection and you get your own allocated bandwidth that isnt shared.

However if you happen to have VERIZON dsl (e_e) You might notice alot of slowdowns cause they DO tend to throttle internet speeds if they see you abusing your bandwidth (like if youre torrenting) or there might be telephone line problems.

Also the time of day matters with Cable because there may be more people on at a certain time than other times.

Not sure about DSL though cause I rarely use it.

Now if you have FIOS.... I have no clue ._.

RoyalCardMan

DS App Studio™ Developer
OP
Trophies
Website
www.awsomisoft.com
XP
Country
United States
Well, I have DSL(QWEST).

But the thing is my bro is able to play Minecraft just fine with no lag. I mean, everybody else in my household can use the internet just fine, but me. Even if they are not on the internet.

Someone suggested it was my network card, but it hasn't been this slow before that I ca't even access the internet, even if a very good connection is made.

EDIT: Didn't someone buy out QWEST?

jefffisher

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
if someone was spam pinging you they would have been hitting your external ip not your internal and your router probably would have handled it.
probably some other problem, a lot of websites have been going slow for me lately but not all. the problem might not even been on your end.

RoyalCardMan

DS App Studio™ Developer
OP
Trophies
Website
www.awsomisoft.com
XP
Country
United States
jefffisher said:
if someone was spam pinging you they would have been hitting your external ip not your internal and your router probably would have handled it.
probably some other problem, a lot of websites have been going slow for me lately but not all. the problem might not even been on your end.
That is true about the external IP. Well, I looked it up and it said that there is a bug with WinXP users if the Windows Firewall is Off.

I am just worried if any of my information was leaked. It probably wasn't though(fortunately).

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    OctoAori20 @ OctoAori20: Nice nice-