*WARNING* Sharing Wii U Homebrew (Brick Warning)

Discussion in 'Wii U - Hacking & Backup Loaders' started by Mathew_Wi, Jun 26, 2015.

1. Mathew_Wi
    OP

Mathew_Wi bye

Sep 29, 2009
    I'm making this thread to warn people that it is very easy to brick your Wii U with just the webkit exploit. So, if you want to run a specific homebrew, be sure to get the source code. Wii U bricks caused by this are not currently fixable.

Just a friendly reminder to those testing out homebrew made by other users. :lol:

pelago, 2Hack, VinsCool and 1 other person like this.

2. zoogie

zoogie simple pimp tool

Nov 30, 2014
    United States
    Has this been happening? Seems like a stretch to write to nand when everything so far seems userland.

3. Mathew_Wi
    OP

Mathew_Wi bye

Sep 29, 2009
    This hasn't happened yet, as far as I know. Nintendo is very generous with what they give you in userland. I've personally caused a brick to a devkit with just userland, however they have easy restore functions.

zoogie likes this.
  4. wj44

wj44 GBAtemp Fan

Jun 18, 2015
    Gambia, The
    @Mathew_Wii
    Ok then please share a html that "BRICK" the Wii U.
    (I think it can't brick the Wii U because Nintendo protects sys files)

5. EmceeKerser

EmceeKerser GBAtemp Maniac

Jun 3, 2014
    The fuckin' Blue Mountains brah
    I find this so hard to believe

6. The Real Jdbye

The Real Jdbye Always Remember 30/07/08

GBAtemp Patron
    The Real Jdbye is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Mar 17, 2010
    Norway
    Alola
    This sounds like a really bad idea. Some skid will end up abusing it to brick people's consoles.
    Anyway, I see no reason why he would lie about this. There could be any number of ways to brick a Wii U that doesn't involve sys files, and for that matter, don't you think that protection is what causes the brick in the first place? ;)
    If there was no protection, we could modify anything without causing a brick, as long as the files are correctly made.

Last edited by The Real Jdbye, Jun 26, 2015
    depaul likes this.
  7. thekarter104

thekarter104 GBAtemp Maniac

Mar 28, 2013
    United States
    Hmmm, wonder why and how a brick happens with just userland and not writing to NAND?

Well, I got the blinking red light after using the Browser exploit with a USB in it, maybe that's it?? And I just turned on the Wii U that time.

8. FaTaL_ErRoR

FaTaL_ErRoR AKA ŦƕƎ ƠṀƐƝ

Mar 9, 2014
    United States
    Red blinking light? At exploit or upon boot? More than likely it's just your controller about to run out of power....(lol j/k)
    Are you able to read the RAM? If this is happening during the exploit it's ppc shutting down. Kinda like an internal hard reset.(if this is when it's happening then I am officially wrong with webkit not having enough access) If this happens when you simply boot your console up then well guess that's a big oops on your part.

9. thekarter104

Mar 28, 2013
    United States
    The exploit just showed Hello World.
    After I held the power button for 4 seconds to turn it off, the red light started blinking and couldn't turn on the Wii U again.

10. FaTaL_ErRoR

FaTaL_ErRoR AKA ŦƕƎ ƠṀƐƝ

Mar 9, 2014
    United States
    is it still this way as in is this permanent or after shutting off your pc then rebooting wiiu all is good?

11. thekarter104

Mar 28, 2013
    United States
    Wii U is good now and can play for hours again. I was shocked when I saw the red light blinking.

12. FaTaL_ErRoR

FaTaL_ErRoR AKA ŦƕƎ ƠṀƐƝ

Mar 9, 2014
    United States
    The red light blinking and only being temporary is actually a real good sign. (well for these guys anyway not for my post about webkit not getting enough access)

13. thekarter104

Mar 28, 2013
    United States
    Forgot to mention I unplugged the power of the Wii U, and back on and it worked again for hours.

14. Cyan

Cyan GBATemp's lurking knight

Global Moderator
    Oct 27, 2002
    France
    Engine room, learning
    it's a general warning, or one specific to an existing/released homebrew?
    Is it a specific function name or API that we should look and fear in the sources? or a write or access to some place? or deliberately bricking codes (like deleting files would be obvious hint)
    saying to always check the sources is a good advice, but not knowing what to look for might be hard to find.
    simple homebrew are easy to check I guess, but if users start making bigger projects it will be harder to understand for the end users.

Also, you should compile it yourself!
    there's always a possibility someone provide different sources than the compiled binary.

pelago likes this.
  15. AboodXD

AboodXD I hack NSMB games, and other shiz.

Oct 11, 2014
    United Arab Emirates
    Not under a rock.
    NWPlayer123 said that the red blinking light means that the system is overheating.

16. Captain_N

Captain_N GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Mar 29, 2010
    United States
    i used to get the blinking red light back in 2012 when turning off the wii U right after closing a game or turning if off right after it was turned on. Somtimes it took a few times to get it to boot. Unplugging it often worked. My guess it was a software bug. it stopped happening after one of the large updates in 2013.
    Mine was not over heating since it happened after being on for like 10 secs.

pelago likes this.
  17. AboodXD

AboodXD I hack NSMB games, and other shiz.

Oct 11, 2014
    United Arab Emirates
    Not under a rock.
    Maybe it was overheating when it was off too? :unsure:

18. EmceeKerser

EmceeKerser GBAtemp Maniac

Jun 3, 2014
    The fuckin' Blue Mountains brah
    The wii did that when wiiconnect24 was on

19. Mathew_Wi
    OP

Mathew_Wi bye

Sep 29, 2009
    I can say if you want, but I feel like it's just begging kiddies to start doing it maliciously.

20. Cyan

Cyan GBATemp's lurking knight

Global Moderator
    Oct 27, 2002
    France
    Engine room, learning
    Yeah, I thought it was something like that because you didn't tell it explicitly.
    If you think it's best to not say it, then don't.

But you warned users, they are free to try random homebrew or be careful.

I think knowlegeable developers should know it, and check project's released sources and warn users if needed. eventually, someone will find it by narrowing the changes between revisions.