Warner Bros. now Blu-ray exclusive

Discussion in 'Sony PlayStation 1 & 2' started by Sc4rFac3d, Jan 4, 2008.

1. ca82686

ca82686 Member

Newcomer
    Nov 25, 2005
    United States
    the cost of storage is in GBs isnt it? the cost of next gen formats are in dollars. not to the say content is free itself, get comcast, hippie =P or get VHS FTW. notice i didnt say beta, who was that made by again?

2. Jiggah

Jiggah GBAtemp Maniac

Nov 9, 2002
    United States
    If comcast was free sure, but it's 60 bucks a month now let's say oh 8 gigs for full content, still gonna take all night. Now, on top of that let's figure in convenience, if I want my movie on the go or go over to a friends house, etc. Plus, most people aren't too computer literate, and you gotta factor in how much of the population actually have broadband.

People who talk about digital downloads don't realize that even with debit cards/credit cards, paying online...we still have paper money. I think most people who advocate online downloading of content don't factor in the convenience/portability factor.

3. ca82686

ca82686 Member

Newcomer
    Nov 25, 2005
    United States
    it wouldnt take all night if you had comcast. VHS takes care of your friend/any computer illiterate person. so youre too cheap for comcast, yet you and suposedly your friend have a HD movie player? cmon now. Im sure more people have broadband vs all the reqresite HD stuff to play the movie you already have on VHS and/or DVD

4. Jiggah

Jiggah GBAtemp Maniac

Nov 9, 2002
    United States
    Uh...yea it will. Now, if you're talking FiOS...maybe less. Like I said, you don't factor in a lot other than just getting the content. There more than just how to get the content, it's what the average consumer expects to be able to do with that content. I don't know how young you are, but you should basically look at digital downloads for music now as a blue print. 56K downloading mp3s = forever....about 10 years down the line...it's everywhere, and even then they are still selling a physical format, too. On top of that, the industry will want to protect that content.

5. ca82686

ca82686 Member

Newcomer
    Nov 25, 2005
    United States
    read the name. cmon, kazaa didnt take THAT long... those were the days. CDs and such are flopping miserably as well, so you're just helping my point. DRM is junk, amazon sells it without em, and if you follow RIAA statements, ripping a cd you bought to your hard drive is illegal. read around more, boy =P

6. Jiggah

Jiggah GBAtemp Maniac

Nov 9, 2002
    United States
    I'm not sure where you're going with that, but exactly the point. Why the hell would the MPAA be willing to allow users easier access to pirating, unless with protection. Even with CD floppying now, it took years for that to start happening. Basically, you need to be realistic here. Just like Ze said, if you expect Blu-Ray to go away in 2 years time, dream on...there's too much at stake for the MPAA, just like the RIAA taking a long time to catch up with the digital downloads market.

Like I said, be realistic, people still go out to rent movies, even though you can watch them OnDemand. Tangible goods simply don't go away.

7. BoneMonkey

BoneMonkey The cheese stash is a lie.

Banned
    Dec 9, 2006
    United States
    USA
  8. ca82686

ca82686 Member

Newcomer
    Nov 25, 2005
    United States
    what are you talking about, pretzel sammiches totally rule all. VHS still wins

9. Strokemouth

Strokemouth GBAtemp Regular

Nov 27, 2004
    United States
    NY
    Have you ever downloaded an HD movie from the 360 marketplace? You can begin viewing the movie after a minute or two as long as your connection can maintain the buffer...works like a champ.

10. Pigwooly

Pigwooly GBAtemp Fan

May 1, 2007
    United States
    First off, in terms of the main topic and Blue Ray looking like it's winning, thank God! I prefer Blue Ray because it has a much larger storage capacity and as an animator and game designer I create 25 gigs of media to burn every month, so it'll be nice to do it on a single disc. But mainly, I just want the format wars to be over, so that a standard can be adopted and become widespread. If HD-DVD won tomorrow I'd still be happy, just slightly less so. Having two competing standards is really bad for the industry. It prevents the general public from adopting either, which keeps prices high and makes it likely that both will betamax on us and just die out.

Now in regards to the quote above:

Don't forget the other problem with digital downloads as they stand.

At this point Blue Ray burners are very expensive which means I would have to keep my downloaded movies on my computer's hard drive or my Xbox's hard drive. Either way I can't spare all that space and at some point that harddrive is going to be obsolete or dead at which point I would lose all of my movies. That's fine for a rental, but if I'm going to be paying a purchase price then I need to have it on a physical disc that I can own and keep as long as I want.

It's an absolute deal breaker for me. Even when Blue Ray burners become affordable, which will probably be sooner than later we would still need to convince movie publishers to eliminate DRM from their files before I'd buy them. If I can't back it up to a physical disc then I'm not paying for it. I've had too many hard drives fail on me.

What I would be up for would be a rental download service where you could stream a movie over the internet for like 2 bucks and an episode of a tv show for 50 cents. If they did that I would use it constantly, cancel my netflix and probably never buy a DVD or Blue Ray again.

Quick Reply
Draft saved Draft deleted