Hacking Want to create a self-contained Super Smash Bros Brawl+ disc

Zhelkus

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I want to create a self-contained disc image of SSBB+ to run from my backup loader. I was thinking of using Wiim's tools to insert the modified files and at the same time remove any unnecessary media. My concern is with Ocarina... how would I introduce the changes Ocarina brings in to the game so that the self-contained disc doesn't need it anymore?

Zhelkus

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I know all the loaders are capable of that now. It's how I run Brawl+ all the time. But that debunks the idea of making a self-contained game.

Or are you saying that it isn't possible to introduce the Ocarina hacks into the game permanently?

Zhelkus

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hmmm... sounds like something way over my head.

Has anybody done it before or discussed it in more user-friendly detail?

giantpune

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i havent looked at brawl+ for quite some time. but last time i looked, i didnt see them reading anything from the SD card that wasnt a replacement for something in the iso. if that is really the case, then you could remove the part of their code that redirects that read to the SD card, and just replace the files in the iso.

to get the codehandler into place with all the necessary codes, i think the easiest way would be to use the homebrew apploader and hardcode some file offsets into it. then patch the hooks into the main.dol and replace it. this way, your apploader can read the prepatched main.dol into memory and then read the codelist & codehandler into memory

Zhelkus

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey giantpune! Thx for reading this.

It still sounds a bit technical but I'm understanding a bit more now. I know I can simply replace the source material with the modified files on the SD (I was thinking of using WIT for that). What I have no clue as to what to do is about the Ocarina codes.

giantpune said:
to get the codehandler into place with all the necessary codes, i think the easiest way would be to use the homebrew apploader and hardcode some file offsets into it. then patch the hooks into the main.dol and replace it. this way, your apploader can read the prepatched main.dol into memory and then read the codelist & codehandler into memory
So what are the tools I'd need to start getting my hands dirty with this last part? Can they all be found on wiibrew?

giantpune

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i think the hardest part of the whole task would be creating the codehandler. the way it works, the code handler and dol are read into memory and patched. you want the codehandler to already be patched for you. so, i would suggest lokoing at geckoOS source code and maybe adding some printf() or saving a log to a file, or something similar.

if you cant create the patched codehandler, or understand why you need it, then you might as well not bother with any of the rest of the idea.

Zhelkus

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah, having it all laid out like that makes the project seem too complicated. My expectations were about using a few tools to get the job done without so much hassle. Coding is just too deep for me.

Thanks for making it clear tho.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    OctoAori20 @ OctoAori20: Nice nice-