Hacking vWii with Wii U Gamepad Progress?

TheFallenOne

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Hey guys,

I was wondering what kind of progress has been made on using the Wii U gamepad as a controller in vWii mode.

I know it's not possible yet, that's not what I'm asking. I'm more specifically interested in what kind of work has been done to make it happen, as I've been looking for an outlet for my free time (programmer), and thought this might be a good one.

I've read a few articles and messed around a little bit with libdrc already, so I know how the gamepad operates/communicates with the Wii U, and there's been a decent bit of work put into using the gamepad with PCs, but... what about with vWii?

Reactions: jammybudga777

jammybudga777

Trophies
XP
Country
other then it being used on a pc. i dont think anybody has attempted to make an approach on the gamepad to increase the "fun" in vwii mode.
(which im suprised at really).
what would be really cool for a start is if we could use the gamepad buttons while in vwii mode. :)
but yea im suprised nobodys been whiling to have a poke at the ios in vwii

FPSRussi4

Trophies
XP
Country
Laos
I can't find the direct post, but this question has been answered. I believe Marcan said that it's a lot harder than it sounds, because it's not just a matter of mapping buttons to wiimote functions due to the buttons technically not being there during vWii. Check back when a WiiU exploit comes up, I think it'll be a lot easier then.

Reactions: jammybudga777

MikeyTaylorGaming

YouTube Glitcher
Trophies
Website
youtube.com
XP
Country
United Kingdom
With additional hardware or a custom firmware for the gampad, it could be used in vWii mode easily.

I personally don't see that as too accurate... I would see it as a cIOS being created for the Wii/ vWII. Although I'm not sure how a U's gamepad communicates but I don't think it will have an IOS/ firmware.

The reason i say this, IOS control how the Wii functions, Previously we couldn't USBs for anything other than peripherals (E.G Rockband instruments). so a cIOS222 was created to help the Wii read USB devices properly.

If a cIOS was created that could allow the Wii to communicate with the Gamepad in some way then we're onto something. That also opens up the opportunity to play games using the gamepad on a regular Wii console. This may be a completely new cIOS or it could just be a modification to the existing wiimote communication IOS (which is still technically a cIOS haha)

Maxternal

Peanut Gallery Spokesman
Trophies
Website
gbadev.googlecode.com
XP
Country
With additional hardware or a custom firmware for the gampad, it could be used in vWii mode easily.
Even with the right model of USB Wi-Fi adapter to sniff out the the control information from the connection between the gamepad and the Wii U, I wouldn't exactly call this "easy" You'd still have to convince the IOS to translate that information into wiimote/classic controller information and make it look like it's come in over Bluetooth when it really hasn't AND possibly make the adjustments in the custom gamepad firmware you mentioned. You would need to adjust it in such a way that it would still work fine in Wii U mode, take off the little "gamepad controls don't work in Wii mode" message and make sure button information is actually being transmitted if it's not already.
and what about using Wii u pro for vWii?
This would be less trouble but still a lot of work since you'd still have to intercept Bluetooth information inside the IOS and patch/translate it so that it looks like a Wiimote and classic controller.

tbgtbg

Shaking the ring ropes up in the sky
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This would be less trouble but still a lot of work since you'd still have to intercept Bluetooth information inside the IOS and patch/translate it so that it looks like a Wiimote and classic controller.

Does the way Devolution does it provide any insight into how to possibly get it working in Wii in general or not?

duffmmann

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I would have to think that with enough knowledge, studying what will have been done to enable the Gamepad to be used with the PC will eventually lead to Wii homebrew that enables the Gamepad to be used.

Maxternal

Peanut Gallery Spokesman
Trophies
Website
gbadev.googlecode.com
XP
Country
Does the way Devolution does it provide any insight into how to possibly get it working in Wii in general or not?
Well, Devolution is closed sourced ... BUT it's developer has given an idea of what would be involved in getting it to work. (and the PC app that lets you connect to the Pro controller has some documentation on that as well.)
The thing is that Devolution knows it's not connecting with a classic controller. It knows it's a Pro controller and communicates with it accordingly. (The same thing could be incorporated into other homebrew apps on both Wii and vWii with relative ease) I think what we're talking about here is having Wii games connect to it, though. Making them THINK that they're telling the IOS to talk to a wiimote with a classic controller attached when it's REALLY talking to a pro controller is the tricky part.

Reactions: Ray Lewis

Ray Lewis

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I can't find the direct post, but this question has been answered. I believe Marcan said that it's a lot harder than it sounds, because it's not just a matter of mapping buttons to wiimote functions due to the buttons technically not being there during vWii. Check back when a WiiU exploit comes up, I think it'll be a lot easier then.
I almost fell out of my chair laughing. "When pigs fly" and "When hell freezes over" sound better than "Check back when a WiiU exploit comes up." The real question is will Maxternal be able to do it when he finishes his tri-core vWii project. I would not bet an exploit is shared even when he reaches it--and he will reach his goal. Anything is possible, BUT is it feasible?

Crewman

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Crewman said:
With additional hardware or a custom firmware for the gampad, it could be used in vWii mode easily.​
Even with the right model of USB Wi-Fi adapter to sniff out the the control information from the connection between the gamepad and the Wii U, I wouldn't exactly call this "easy" You'd still have to convince the IOS to translate that information into wiimote/classic controller information and make it look like it's come in over Bluetooth when it really hasn't AND possibly make the adjustments in the custom gamepad firmware you mentioned. You would need to adjust it in such a way that it would still work fine in Wii U mode, take off the little "gamepad controls don't work in Wii mode" message and make sure button information is actually being transmitted if it's not already.

All the tools you need for a hardware methode are already existing (e.g. libdrc) and working on their own. The only work that has be done is bring them together.

If someone could tell me how to connect the Wii Us DRH to PC, I would write the rest of the code.

Btw. gz on your Wii U Maxternal. Make sure you don't break it or the kid in the background of the unboxing video will go creazy^^

Reactions: Maxternal

FPSRussi4

Trophies
XP
Country
Laos
I almost fell out of my chair laughing. "When pigs fly" and "When hell freezes over" sound better than "Check back when a WiiU exploit comes up." The real question is will Maxternal be able to do it when he finishes his tri-core vWii project. I would not bet an exploit is shared even when he reaches it--and he will reach his goal. Anything is possible, BUT is it feasible?

I apologize for being fairly new to all of this and giving my best guess. I also mentioned that "I THINK it will be a lot easier then", meaning it's my personal opinion that it will be easier when an exploit is developed-yes, I have faith that maxternal will release an exploit, and once again apologize for being optimistic on the internet.

TheSandromatic

Trophies
XP
Country
There are some games on the eshop that run a game in vwii using the gamepad as the controller? Pandora's Tower being one example. Couldn't you take a look at how that game does it and use it to launch say the homebrew channel? (you also then get free homebrew on the vWii as well. Just a thought.)

BossRoss93

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This is the big thing I want from IOSU. I have done some work on the hardware side of things, here is a video of what I made cause I am like you, I wanna be able to actually use the gamepad as more than a screen for the vwii

But i mean, it was a lot of work, and there are some caveats to it.

Si I am going to probably take some time when IOSU comes out to work on this from a software side. A lot of programming went into this but it was like, all low level micro controller work.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: good night