MightyOne

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Guy's

I Installed HBC to vWii with success, and was able to launc homebrew application. After installing USB Loader GX (WAD) file I wasn't able to start USB Loader as an channel. I then installed IOS58 (wad) file using Yet Another WAD Manager. all went wel, but after returning to HBC all menu's were upside down.

I then uninstalled the IOS58.wad, but then my problems started. Now I can't launch HBC (it returns to system menu) but I also can't reinstall HBC (using Smash Stack exploit, it hangs at scam message).

I'm out of options right now, I'm able to launch Wii Homebrew Launcher.

greetz,

Leon

rooskie54

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This should be in WiiU hacking since it's vWii related.

Why did you install IOS58? A vWii would already have it. Don't install IOSes for a regular wii on a vWii.

My guess is that the homebrew channel installer is panicking when it tries to use IOS58 because it's a wii IOS on a vWii. You could use the Homebrew Launcher to install the correct version of IOS58, but I'm not sure how you'd go about getting it or if that's even the thing to do. I don't have a WiiU so wait for someone else to weigh in before you do anything.

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Did you follow a tutorial to hack your vWii?
It didn't tell you to not install a Wii IOS on vWii?

And NEVER uninstall a IOS!

With a chance, the tutorial you followed to hack your vWii had steps to create a NAND dump and you didn't skip this step.
if you have a NAND dump, you can repack the IOS 58 into a WAD (mount your vWii NAND dump into ShowMiiWads in NAND mode, right click on IOS58, pack as WAD).
This is the WAD you need to install, the Wad of "vWii IOS 58".
Do not reinstall the Wii's version.

edit:
But you can't launch a wad manager to reinstall the IOS without access to HBC.

See idea from Damysteryman bellow!

Reactions: Fpsrussia117

MightyOne

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Did you follow a tutorial to hack your vWii?
It didn't tell you to not install a Wii IOS on vWii?

And NEVER uninstall a IOS!

With a chance, the tutorial you followed to hack your vWii had steps to create a NAND dump and you didn't skip this step.
if you have a NAND dump, you can repack the IOS 58 into a WAD (mount your vWii NAND dump into ShowMiiWads in NAND mode, right click on IOS58, pack as WAD).
This is the WAD you need to install, the Wad of "vWii IOS 58".
Do not reinstall the Wii's version.

Yes I followed a tutorial, and de IOS58 wad was in the zip file that came with it. Before installing custom stuff i've made a backup using FSTOOLS. Question is how to install IOS85 using Smash Stack exploit?

HackMII/HBC won't start (stuck at scam screen), installer log tell's me:

HackMii v1.2 installer starting up
PVR = 00087200
running under IOS 59 rev 0x1c21
50 titles are installed
Found IOS 251: revision: 0x5212*
Found IOS 250: revision: 0x5212*
Found IOS 249: revision: 0x5212*
Found IOS 0: revision: 0x0*
Found IOS 9: revision: 0x50a.
Found IOS 62: revision: 0x191e.
Found IOS 59: revision: 0x1c21.
Found IOS 57: revision: 0x181f.
Found IOS 56: revision: 0x171e.
Found IOS 55: revision: 0x171f.
Found IOS 53: revision: 0x171f.
Found IOS 48: revision: 0x111c.
Found IOS 46: revision: 0xf17.
Found IOS 45: revision: 0xf17.
Found IOS 43: revision: 0xf17.
Found IOS 41: revision: 0xf17.
Found IOS 38: revision: 0x111c.
Found IOS 37: revision: 0x171f.
Found IOS 36: revision: 0xf18.
Found IOS 35: revision: 0xf18.
Found IOS 34: revision: 0xf18.
Found IOS 33: revision: 0xf18.
Found IOS 31: revision: 0xf18.
Found IOS 28: revision: 0x80f.
Found IOS 22: revision: 0x60e.
Found IOS 21: revision: 0x50f.
Found IOS 17: revision: 0x508.
Found IOS 15: revision: 0x508.
Found IOS 14: revision: 0x508.
Found IOS 13: revision: 0x508.
Found IOS 12: revision: 0x30e.
Found IOS 2: revision: 0x202.
Found IOS 80: revision: 0x1c20.
launching IOS 38 for the installer...

IOS launched...

IOS versions: Installer: 38, HBC: 0
starting preparations

Smash Stack requires a boot.elf file and dop-mii is a .dol file zo i'm not sure how to reinstall IOS58 I've managed to get Homebrew Channel Launcher starting, but i've read it can not install IOS's (due to some flag)

damysteryman

I am too busy IRL these days...
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Well shit, this is a pickle... especially complicated since it has happened on vWii.
Mainly because even if you had a .wad of vWii IOS58 ready to install, I do not think there is really a publicly available way to do it (other than HBC, which is not available...).

AFAIK you would need an app with an IOS exploit coded into it, to give yourself the ability to actually disable AHBPROT, and then MEMPROT, to be able to patch the running IOS in memory (like most installer apps do nowadays), to be able to kill off the restriction in vWii IOS that prevents install of system titles... and IIRC the only app available to do that IS Hackmii Installer... (Not sure if casper has been updated to work on WiiU vWii)

According to your Hackmii log, since it cannot find IOS58 to reload to, it is trying to reload under vWii IOS38... and judging by the freeze, it appears that it may not be compatible.

I did think of maybe loading the USB Loader GX channel, but then remembered that the channel itself would probably require IOS58 for its AHBPROT-related features.

Any other ordinary homebrew loaded directly would not have the required permissions to install the vWii IOS58.

HOWEVER

While typing this big long post, I have also been brainstorming... I now recall riivolution has its own IOS exploit coded into it, and should be able to be loaded directly via a game exploit like smash stack. Perhaps we could use riivolution and use its file patching and replacement features to load up a homebrew .dol (a vWii-supporting wad installer) in place of a game's main.dol, with the full access we need, and then install the required wad that way!

That should work, but I have never tried it though, so not 100% sure.

jammybudga777

Trophies
XP
Country
ummm maybe a silly idea but!! could you not use usbloader gx to install a wad (ios 58) to your nand? im not sure if it only allows you to install to your emulated nand or both (real and emulated) and also im not sure what other havoc this "could" cause..... also hopeing you have usbloadger channel and not loading through homebrew channel

MightyOne

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
I have USB Loader GX as a channel, only USB Loader GX does not start as well, both HBC and USB Loader GX start and return to the system menu. (for that same reason I have installed IOS58 in the first place)

damysteryman

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
jammybudga777
Well, not sure if the USB Loader channel itself will work (it would probably try to reload under IOS58, which is not there, therefore not loading). And also, I do not think USB Loader GX has the extra patch to kill off that restriction that WiiU vWii has against installing system titles like IOS. Also running directly from an exploit, it would not access to apply the patch anyway...

However...

MightyOne
I did neglect a small detail before in my last post: you may not have IOS58, but you DO still have cIOS installed... so you CAN load a cIOS-using app via smashstack and install things!

But d2x cIOS do not have that restriction killed off in them though (most apps patching it usually do so temporarily in memory), so we cannot install an IOS wad right away, but we can get a vWii-specific installer homebrew that can, and then use THAT by building a custom channel with this installer in it, with the AHBPROT flag set in its TMD...

...and then install THAT channel by running a wad installer via smash stack, then reloading to a cIOS to install it.

THEN, after installing said AHBPROT installer channel, we go back to Wii Menu, and load it up, and should then be able to use that to install the vWii IOS58 just fine!

:D

@everyone else
...now that I think about it, the "Kill off Anti-Systitle Install" patch probably SHOULD be added to vWii versions of d2x cIOS... I did not think it was necessary since most apps that need it just patch it in due to them already having full access, but now it could be good for recovery purposes.

Reactions: jammybudga777

MightyOne

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
That sounds like a plan, however i'm kind of new to the homebrew community so the tech talk dazzles me a little bit. I'm not sure what to do next.

jammybudga777

Trophies
XP
Country
@ mightyone im not sure as too what ios's u have installed before your mess started but if you was to have patched ios 80 would this not allow homebrew channel to be launched from a sd card? or does this still require ios 58 as well

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
And also, I do not think USB Loader GX has the extra patch to kill off that restriction that WiiU vWii has against installing system titles like IOS.
I added it to my current working build. it can now run without cIOS (but can't see USB yet), so it can use IOS58+ahb+patches to get NAND resources.
But it will not help him, as the Wad install feature in the loader is only for EmuNAND.

damysteryman

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Ok, I am back now, and I have a solution tutorial now :)

MightyOne

Can you still load up Yet Another Wad Manager Mod, either via Smash Stack, or via Wii Homebrew Launcher?
If not, let me know.

Also, do you have a vWii-specific version of a IOS58 wad? (Should be IOS58 v6432)
If not, let me know about that too.
No other versions of IOS58 will work, it must be the vWii version.

Instructions:
1. Download this vWii IOS58 Wad Installer channel wad I made (V58I.wad) from here, and copy it to your SD card:
http://www.mediafire.com/?2l0v546joiaiyb5

2. Get your vWii IOS58 wad, make sure it is named IOS58-64-v6432.wad, and put it on the root directory of your SD card.

3. Load up Yet Another Wad Manager Mod somehow, either via Smash Stack, or via Wii Homebrew Launcher, whichever is easiest for you.
When YAWMM asks for something along the lines of "Select IOS to use for installation" select IOS 249.
Then navigate to the V58I.wad and install it. It should install fine.

3. After that go back to Wii Menu and load up the new channel that you just installed.

4. IOS58 Installer will run, use that to install vWii IOS58. It should install fine.

Then it should be done! After successfully reinstalling your vWii IOS58, try loading up the Hackmii Installer again.

Once all done, you should be ok to delete/uninstall that V58I channel wad if you like. (But preferably not anything else though!)

MightyOne

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
I've tried to launch YAWMM from Smash Stack, but it returns a DSI exception when I choose SD card as source. Homebrew Launcher requires a controller without motion plus (which I do not own).

MightyOne

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
OK, this is what i've tried:

1. Launch YAWMM via Smash Stack, after selecting the WAD source it throws me a DSI exception
2. Launch YAWMM via Homebrew Launcher, It throws me a DSI exception after selecting IOS249
3. Launch WAD Manager via Homebrew Launcher, it gives an error on installing wad file (Installing Ticket ret. -2011)

Sadly I was not able to install the channel.

jammybudga777

Trophies
XP
Country
OK, this is what i've tried:

1. Launch YAWMM via Smash Stack, after selecting the WAD source it throws me a DSI exception
2. Launch YAWMM via Homebrew Launcher, It throws me a DSI exception after selecting IOS249
3. Launch WAD Manager via Homebrew Launcher, it gives an error on installing wad file (Installing Ticket ret. -2011)

Sadly I was not able to install the channel.

you do have 249 installed dont you? and that ticket ret is probable because your not loaded at 249. i cant remember properly but doesnt YAWMM do a fake signature if needed when its connected to the internet? i could be wrong

MightyOne

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
you do have 249 installed dont you? and that ticket ret is probable because your not loaded at 249. i cant remember properly but doesnt YAWMM do a fake signature if needed when its connected to the internet? i could be wrong

According to HBC Installer log IOS249 is installed

Found IOS 249: revision: 0x5212

damysteryman

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Ok, I am back again.

I have been testing more things myself too, and I also got a DSI exception. I ran it via Smash Stack directly and got DSI exception when selecting IOS249. But I did figure out a workaround, but it also requires you have a USB storage device.

I removed all SD and USB devices when YAWMM loaded up, selected IOS249, and then AFTER that, I put in a USB device with the V58I.wad in, then selected USB 2.0 Device at the device select, and it loaded up! (Trying this with SD would not work... would not see it after IOS reload, only USB 2.0 Device...)

I used this version of YAWMM: (Thx Joostin :) )
http://www.hacksden.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=793&d=1369548542

So, maybe try this:

1. Get a USB device, and put the V58I.wad onto it. But do not insert the USB device into the WiiU yet.

2. Get the above YAWMM (or maybe try your one if you like, but not sure if it is the same version or not) and run the boot.elf directly from Smash Stack.

3. As soon as YAWMM loads up, make sure all devices are removed from WiiU (SD, USB etc.)

4. Only after that, when it asks what IOS to use, select IOS249, and it SHOULD load this time.

5. Now, insert just the USB into the WiiU, in to the upper port on the back of the WiiU.

6. When it asks for the device to use, select USB 2.0 Storage device (not the non-2.0 one). After a few seconds it should fail, but just select it again and it should actually work (not sure why it does this, but eh).

7. Once finally loaded up, install the V58I.wad, and then exit back to Wii Menu.

8. Back at Wii Menu, insert the SD card with the vWii IOS58 wad and run the newly installed channel, and install IOS58, and then you should hopefully be able to then run Hackmii Installer once more.

I hope this works this time.
Otherwise maybe we could try running that Wad Manager again and investigate the -2011 error there instead (most likely WM was not running under IOS249 at the time)

Reactions: jammybudga777

MightyOne

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Tried it but I still got an exception, however I tried to load ModMii via Smash stack and it loads perhaps we can do something with that? when launching WAD manager via modmii it states that IOS36 is not sufficient to install WAD's. but when i try to change IOS to 249 ModMii freezes

jammybudga777

Trophies
XP
Country
modmii loading on the wii?? thats new to me i thought it was just for use on the pc? could you not use multi mod manager to patch ios 36 and then reload into that and then try installing ios 58? ill check to see what v249 i have because i think i got stuck with a simular problem but not because i removed a ios. i think when i was installing the D2X i couldnt get anything to install without having 249v54321 but ill check soon

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @salazarcosplay, Morning