Hacking vWii, semi bricked?

damysteryman

I am too busy IRL these days...
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
MightyOne
Ok, now that is very strange, that does not make any sense, the log file states specifically that IOS58 has been altered somehow.

"Found IOS 58: revision: 0x1920*" <- the asterisk at the end is what the hackmii log uses to indicate that an IOS is altered, and will then refuse to use it (hackmii installer will only use official unmodified IOS).

Are you 100% sure that you are using a good wad? The one I dumped should work fine... (MD5 of my dumped IOS58 wad: 69260d20de8a7a73826dd401c784d790)
I even tested everything on my WiiU, from smash stack right to testing out the IOS58 after installation with the vWii IOS58 installer channel I made, and it is all working on my end...

Like Cyan asked too, is your HBC still upside down?

Also, no need to delete an IOS before reinstalling, you can just install them over the top of themselves.

At least it is good to know that your GX forwarder channel is working though.

ch1z69

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
MightyOne
Ok, now that is very strange, that does not make any sense, the log file states specifically that IOS58 has been altered somehow.

"Found IOS 58: revision: 0x1920*" <- the asterisk at the end is what the hackmii log uses to indicate that an IOS is altered, and will then refuse to use it (hackmii installer will only use official unmodified IOS).

Are you 100% sure that you are using a good wad? The one I dumped should work fine... (MD5 of my dumped IOS58 wad: 69260d20de8a7a73826dd401c784d790)
I even tested everything on my WiiU, from smash stack right to testing out the IOS58 after installation with the vWii IOS58 installer channel I made, and it is all working on my end...

Like Cyan asked too, is your HBC still upside down?

Also, no need to delete an IOS before reinstalling, you can just install them over the top of themselves.

At least it is good to know that your GX forwarder channel is working though.

has anybody fixed this yet because i have the same problem ,ive done everything the same and hbc is still upside down

ch1z69

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
OK Guy's,

Succes! Big thanks to the guy's who made it possible!

I've managed to install IOS58 the following way:

1. Boot Homebrew Launcher 1.0 (1.3 did not recognize .dol files) via Smash Stack
2. Boot WiiMod lite 1.1
3. Change to IOS249
4. Install the IOS58 Wad Manager Channel via WiiMod's incorporated Wad Manager.
4. Install (original) IOS58 via Wad Installer channel

All worked like a charm, but i'm not there yet because:

I cannot reinstall HBC, it still freezes at SCAM screen. BUT i'm able to start HBC only the screen is upside down. So there are 2 issues left for me:

1. Homebrew Channel is upside down
2. USB Loader GX as a working Channel.

Below is the HBC Installer log.

HackMii v1.2 installer starting up
PVR = 00087200
running under IOS 59 rev 0x1c21
52 titles are installed
Found IOS 58: revision: 0x1920*
Found IOS 251: revision: 0x5212*
Found IOS 250: revision: 0x5212*
Found IOS 249: revision: 0x5212*
Found IOS 0: revision: 0x0*
Found IOS 9: revision: 0x50a.
Found IOS 62: revision: 0x191e.
Found IOS 59: revision: 0x1c21.
Found IOS 57: revision: 0x181f.
Found IOS 56: revision: 0x171e.
Found IOS 55: revision: 0x171f.
Found IOS 53: revision: 0x171f.
Found IOS 48: revision: 0x111c.
Found IOS 46: revision: 0xf17.
Found IOS 45: revision: 0xf17.
Found IOS 43: revision: 0xf17.
Found IOS 41: revision: 0xf17.
Found IOS 38: revision: 0x111c.
Found IOS 37: revision: 0x171f.
Found IOS 36: revision: 0xf18.
Found IOS 35: revision: 0xf18.
Found IOS 34: revision: 0xf18.
Found IOS 33: revision: 0xf18.
Found IOS 31: revision: 0xf18.
Found IOS 28: revision: 0x80f.
Found IOS 22: revision: 0x60e.
Found IOS 21: revision: 0x50f.
Found IOS 17: revision: 0x508.
Found IOS 15: revision: 0x508.
Found IOS 14: revision: 0x508.
Found IOS 13: revision: 0x508.
Found IOS 12: revision: 0x30e.
Found IOS 2: revision: 0x202.
Found IOS 80: revision: 0x1c20.
launching IOS 38 for the installer...

IOS launched...

IOS versions: Installer: 38, HBC: 0
starting preparations

have u had any luck fixing this ,mines done the same

Kippykip

j e f f
Trophies
Website
kippykip.com
XP
Country
Australia
You could try somehow hex editing the hackmii installer to use another ios
like maybe whatever cios was based off 58 or something

Nevermind, just found out you did that and fixed it :lol:

Sabinremson

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I am also working with a WiiU and I have the same problem with getting ios 58 back up and running. I can't get the homebrew launcher to show any apps or homebrew in either folder while(root/homebrew or root/apps) put into the root of the SD card. I had to use the Tales of Symphonia hack just to get the boot to go, as I cannot even run smash bros brawl for smash stack.

I was able to boot homebrew launcher through MMM in which all apps would show up (while in the apps folder), but if I boot it straight from the .ELF file from homebrew launcher itslelf off of the tales exploit, I still get the launcher, but no apps at all. Am I doing something wrong?

I also do NOT have any cios installed on my vWii.

ios 249 has no cios installed on it. I can't even use my ios 36 as a base installer without the vWii freezing every time.

I'm trying to find a loader of some sort that will give me AHBPROT access. At this point I don't care what it is. Perhaps I could use Homebrew channel 1.0.7? erm...that doesn't work with vWii does it?

Any help here would be appreciated. I have WADs galore but they do me no good if I can't install them because I'm guessing I don't have access...to do ANYTHING.

Any help here would be much appreciated....VERY MUCH appreciate indeed.

Sabinremson

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Okay so not trying to bump or anything...but new update, I've got the error code 105-3102 hitting my Wii U now, 3 days after formatting to clear up the channels on my vWii.

I'm going to go ahead and send it into Nintendo to hopefully pay them to do a NAND transfer to a refurbished console and send it back with the IOS's that were missing. I'll let you guys know how much it costs and how they handle the situation. I've already noticed quite a few users on these boards have posted about paying them and getting refurbished products back, no questions asked.

Word to the wise: if you wish to use your Wii U online, DO NOT install the Homebrew channel!

Now time to play dumb with Nintendo, wish me luck!

SupaSlug

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hi all, i have followed this through after deleting my IOS58 on vwii, you guys rock, for the most part everything is back to normal. Exept for the hbc upside down. I have checked all my SD cards etc. but all the IOS58's i have appear to be patched. Would it be possible to point me in the direction of an original unpatched??? Thanks.

Karunamon

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi folks - one hell of a necrobump happening here, but after fragging my vWii's IOS58 (I mis-read a guide to install Nintendont), I've been following the instructions here in an attempt to fix it.

I can tell you that it was broken by using Multi Mod Manager to install the v616x version of IOS58 - the one that's not specific to the vWii. So now, HBC boots to a black screen.

I've gotten as far as using Smash Stack to load the modified YAWMM provided by damysteryman (post located here). I've got a corrected IOS58 wad sitting on a separate USB drive. The problem is that I'm unable to select IOS249 as an option when prompted by YAWMM, and the other IOS'es don't want to recognize my thumb drive. (2GB, FAT32 formatted)

I've also had not much luck using other programs aside from YAWMM, usually due to the case of those apps providing a .DOL rather than an .ELF that Smash Stack can load. In particular, I'm unable to use Wii Homebrew Loader v1.0, as Smash Stack simply hangs the system when that app's boot.elf is in the SD root.

What am I missing here?

Much thanks in advance to anyone who replies, it feels like I'm on the edge of having it fixed again.

D

Deleted User

Should honestly create your own thread, no need to necrobump a 2 year old thread.

Did you install D2X CIOS? If 249-251 or 236 don't exist when cycling through the IOS list, you probably don't have them.

If you have any CIOS, you'll have to use those to install the WAD. If you don't have a CIOS installed, I'm sorry, you have yourself a brick as there is no other method to installing a WAD with HBC out. At that point, I'd recommend trying your luck with a repair.

Karunamon

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just operating on the "It's always better to post in an existing thread than to start a new one" principle, especially WRT existing problems - but I'll go make a new one if you think it's a good idea.

Update: Tried again, and got Wii Homebrew Loader -> WiiMod Lite working.

I do have IOS236 installed, and I can change to it, but I'm still unable to access the flash drive.

Reactions: TotalInsanity4

Karunamon

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Okay, that worked. Apparently the advice with regard to using a thumb drive is not applicable in this situation.

Got the vWii IOS58 installer loaded and visible on the homescreen.

Only thing missing now is an actual copy of the vWii IOS58.

D

Deleted User

249-251 can use USB, but only if they're the correct versions.

As far as 58, check your PM. Hopefully your 236 is correctly patched to kill system titles and allow access.

You should be able to use YAWMM to load on 236 and install IOS 58 from the SD there.

Good luck.

Karunamon

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Somehow I feel if I'd have posted here first, that would have been about 3 hours of messing around saved.

HBC is now working as expected, and I owe you a beer :D

I'll make a new thread for the Nintendont issues.

For anyone that comes along in the future, I'll post a full writeup below.

Karunamon

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Syscheck attached.

Code:
SysCheck v2.3.2 HacksDen Edition by JoostinOnline, Double_A, R2-D2199, and Nano
...runs on IOS58 (rev 6432).

Region: NTSC-U
System Menu 4.3U (v609)

Drive date: 06.28.2011
Homebrew Channel 1.1.2 running on IOS58

Hollywood v0x21
Console ID: 610954084
Console Type: vWii
Shop Channel Country: United States (49)
Boot2 v0
Found 50 titles.
Found 32 IOS on this console. 0 of them are stub.

vIOS9 (rev 1290): No Patches
vIOS12 (rev 782): No Patches
vIOS13 (rev 1288): No Patches
vIOS14 (rev 1288): No Patches
vIOS15 (rev 1288): No Patches
vIOS17 (rev 1288): No Patches
vIOS21 (rev 1295): No Patches
vIOS22 (rev 1550): No Patches
vIOS28 (rev 2063): No Patches
vIOS31 (rev 3864): No Patches
vIOS33 (rev 3864): No Patches
vIOS34 (rev 3864): No Patches
vIOS35 (rev 3864): No Patches
vIOS36 (rev 3864): No Patches
vIOS37 (rev 5919): No Patches
vIOS38 (rev 4380): No Patches
vIOS41 (rev 3863): No Patches
vIOS43 (rev 3863): No Patches
vIOS45 (rev 3863): No Patches
vIOS46 (rev 3863): No Patches
vIOS48 (rev 4380): No Patches
vIOS53 (rev 5919): No Patches
vIOS55 (rev 5919): No Patches
vIOS56 (rev 5918): No Patches
vIOS57 (rev 6175): No Patches
vIOS58 (rev 6432): USB 2.0
vIOS59 (rev 9249): No Patches
vIOS62 (rev 6942): No Patches
vIOS80 (rev 7200): No Patches
vIOS236 (rev 65535): Trucha Bug, ES Identify, NAND Access
vIOS512 (rev 7): No Patches
vIOS513 (rev 1): No Patches
Report generated on 04/12/2015.

Reactions: NintendU_the_great
D

Deleted User

Pretty much what I expected. You don't have CIOS 249-251 installed. Count yourself lucky you had 236 - otherwise it was game over.

Follow the below tutorial before you do anything else: (follow from "Let's Go" to step 17 - this may take an hour or so to do, but is worth it. Also REMOVE ANY WADS ALREADY ON THE SD)

http://gbatemp.net/threads/simple-guide-to-install-cios-on-vwii-backup-nand-and-keys.339890/

Importantly do step 5A as it will let you dump your current IOS to WAD if you ever run into this again.

For anyone reading, please don't mess with IOS on vWii - there's 0 reason to. If you don't have a CIOS installed or a vulnerable IOS, you will have a brick.

Karunamon

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Also, as promised, how I got into this mess and how I got out of it.

Your mileage may vary, void where prohibited, kids eat free, no purchase necessary to win, no warranties, you should probably ask someone before following these steps as my breakage may be different from your breakage.

I broke my system (semi bricked) by NOT R-ing TFM.

Don't do this.

Don't live-follow instructions.

Don't follow them while you're tired or under chemical influence. Read them all the way through first and only then follow them after you understand.

In general, do not screw with IOSes on the Virtual Wii.

It is by pure luck that this screwup didn't result in a permanently broken Wii U.

Good? Good.

Anyways, this breakage was a result of installing an incorrect IOS58 on a vWii (Wii U) via Multi Mod Manager. Homebrew Channel would only come up to a black screen. So, we need to replace IOS58 with the valid version.

I acquired the following things:
  • A FAT32 formatted SD (not SDHC) card, 2GB or less.
  • A fresh IOS58 WAD from a vWii. Backups are best, friendly people are good too.
  • A copy of Wii Homebrew Launcher v1.0
  • A copy of damysteryman's modified IOS58 installer WAD
  • A copy of WiiMod Manager Lite
  • A copy of Smash Stack
  • A retail copy of Super Smash Bros Brawl. Rent it, buy it, or borrow it from a friend.
Steps:
  1. Take your freshly formatted SD card and plug it into your Wii U.
  2. This may not apply to you, but it did to me: Erase all data on Smash Bros via the options menu.
  3. Go into the stage builder, and move the 3 sample stages onto the SD card.
  4. Leave the stage builder.
  5. Retrieve the SD card from the Wii U and plug the SD card into your computer
  6. Rename the "private" folder on the card to "oldprivate"
  7. Extract Smash Stack onto the SD card. This is the first key to the vault - There should now be a "private" and an "oldprivate" folder.
  8. Extract Wii Homebrew Launcher onto the root of the card. This is the second key - Smash Stack will boot this for us.
  9. Extract WiiMod Manager into the APPS folder on the card. This is the third key, we'll use it to install the IOS58 installer.
  10. Extract damysteryman's installer onto the root of the card. Fourth key - we'll use this to install the fixed IOS.
  11. And the last piece, the actual IOS58 wad. Put that onto the root.
  12. Rename the IOS58 wad to "IOS58-64-v6432.wad".
  13. Ensure that you have not confused the IOS58 installer wad with the IOS58 wad. The installer can be named anything, but the IOS58 wad must be named as mentioned in step 12.
  14. Eject your card from the computer and plug it into the Wii U.
  15. Go back into the stage builder.
  16. Smash Stack should do its magic and launch Wii Homebrew Launcher.
  17. If you froze here, unplug the SD card, power down the Wii U, and start Smash Bros back up again. Do not plug the SD card back in until you're back at the Smash Bros title screen. I had to do this a couple of times before the exploit would work.
  18. From the Wii Homebrew Launcher, select WiiMod Manager Lite
  19. Select "Change IOS", and select IOS236.
  20. Navigate to WAD Manager. Select the SD card as the storage device, and select the installer wad.
  21. That install should complete successfully. Exit to the Wii system menu.
  22. You should see the IOS58 installer on the system menu home screen. Run it.
  23. Click through - if you've named the file correctly, it will install.
  24. You are now unbricked.

Reactions: RedEye531
D

Deleted User

Not to rain on your parade or anything - but you can just use YAWMM to install the WAD via SmashStack. Only a couple steps.

The only reason you were able to recover is by previously installing IOS236. CIOS 249-251 is also viable. Most people get so gung-ho they rush into modding before installing the few failsafes available.

Also 236 has to be installed manually. It's not part of the normal IOS chain. So if they don't install it prior to the brick - this won't help them.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://www.instagram.com/reel/C6rI8eXgDxd/?igsh=MWYybHY2YXoyM3I2cQ==