Hacking vWii or a modded Wii?

vanzan

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I have a modded Wii. I'm wondering if I upgrade to a Wii U can the vWii do everything the modded Wii can do? I mean Gamecube games and playing Wii games from a hard drive in particular.

I realise that the Wii U is yet to be modded to allow the playing of Wii U games from a hard drive. Just wondering if I get rid of my modded Wii in favour of a Wii U will I lose anything?

Thanks!

Bhampster

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have both. I prefer to have only the Wii U hooked up since it simplifies an already complicated AV setup and uses HDMI like everything else I have now.

The Wii can do (I think) everything the vWii can do and even more plus you don't run the risk of damaging the Wii U which is nice. Also my Wii has gamecube ports that my Wii U doesn't have. So far though I haven't ever used the Gamecube ports...

If I tried to have both systems, then I would likely want more controllers because you have to sync them to the system you use and that would be a mess. Also, I like the gamepad for playing my SNES and Gameboy games.. it's a good size for that and the system can sort of stand alone since it was the screen and speakers.

Last edited by Bhampster,

EclipseSin

Ignorant Wizard
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Main differences I've noticed are below, including obvious stuff

• GamePad as extra TV and Sensor Bar
  • Different cIOS (dont use Wii ones)
  • More DSI Errors (mostly when exiting apps, not using them, and stuff that hasnt been updated for vWii)
  • Network seems more reliable (could just have a bad adapter in my og wii)
  • 720p scaling (basic/lossy imo)
  • No native gamecube controller ports. (afaik, havent seen any gc port mods for wii u, just the usb adapter)
  • Requires Disc for Hacking
  • Needs updated Forwarders
  • Needs homebrew channel forwarder for widescreen/fullscreen (16:9 only) hbc.
Sorry if I missed anything or messed up one. Should be correct. Though I dont use vWii/Wii much anymore.

Reactions: lordelan

Minotaurus

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
I have a modded Wii. I'm wondering if I upgrade to a Wii U can the vWii do everything the modded Wii can do? I mean Gamecube games and playing Wii games from a hard drive in particular.

I realise that the Wii U is yet to be modded to allow the playing of Wii U games from a hard drive. Just wondering if I get rid of my modded Wii in favour of a Wii U will I lose anything?

Thanks!

Yes you can play wii and gamecube games from an external hard drive in vwii. For loading gamecube games take a look in the nintendont thread and the other stickies. Also remember that you cannot do everything the same as you did on your wii. What I mean is that some things are different in vwii. Otherwise it can result in a vwii brick, meaning that you can't boot in vwii anymore (however you can use Wii U mode).
I hope i helped you with this

Reactions: vanzan

AmandaRose

Do what I do. Hold tight and pretend it’s a plan
Trophies
Website
www.rockstarnorth.com
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Main differences I've noticed are below, including obvious stuff

• GamePad as extra TV and Sensor Bar
  • Different cIOS (dont use Wii ones)
  • More DSI Errors (mostly when exiting apps, not using them, and stuff that hasnt been updated for vWii)
  • Network seems more reliable (could just have a bad adapter in my og wii)
  • 720p scaling (basic/lossy imo)
  • No native gamecube controller ports. (afaik, havent seen any gc port mods for wii u, just the usb adapter)
  • Requires Disc for Hacking
  • Needs updated Forwarders
  • Needs homebrew channel forwarder for widescreen/fullscreen (16:9 only) hbc.
Sorry if I missed anything or messed up one. Should be correct. Though I dont use vWii/Wii much anymore.
I agree with most of your points other than on vwii I very rarely get dsi errors but on my two wii's I get them all the time

Reactions: EclipseSin

EclipseSin

Ignorant Wizard
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I agree with most of your points other than on vwii I very rarely get dsi errors but on my two wii's I get them all the time
Well, I use to get DSI errors a lot on Wii too, but I only get them really from older homebrew anymore (Nintendont I sometimes get a dsi going back to hbc but not often) and I haven't touched the Wii in forever. So that might be why it seems like that to me. Just haven't used the Wii in a while compared to vWii.

Reactions: AmandaRose

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @salazarcosplay, Good.