Hacking vWii homebrew question

Saxton

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
I intend to install homebrew on my vWii using Bathaxx, primarily for running GC/Wii backups from USB HDD. I've seen a lot of different guides how to go about it, and I'm not quite sure which one would be the best for vWii. Could somebody, from their own experience, point some good ones out for me? Thanks in advance.

GorTesK

Mad Hatter
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
http://gbatemp.net/threads/simple-guide-to-install-cios-on-vwii-backup-nand-and-keys.339890/
that's the guide I used and everything worked like a charm. I Use Wiiflow for backup loading, but feel free to use usb loader gx if you want to
wii backups are no problem at all but for gc backups there is no public vwii compatible loader, YET
and if your usb hdd has no own power cable, you might need an y-usb-cable, because 1wiiu usb slot may not provide enough power

Saxton

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
So, I've successfully installed HBC, completed the guide you've sent, but all of my attempts at playing backups from wiiflow end in a black screen and require me to pull the power supply out.
USB Loader GX on the other hand simply crashes on launch.

GorTesK

Mad Hatter
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
what kind of hdd are you using? got its own power cable? usb powered? normal usb cable or y-cable? ntfs, fat32, wbfs? what program did you use to dump the games? gonna need more info here ^^
but I bet, it's either a power or format problem

Saxton

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Since my hard drives are both USB powered, I first used a 32 GB SD card, then a 8 GB pendrive, both FAT32. As for the games, they were iso images converted to WBFS with Wii Backup Manager.

Deferet

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
In my experience, I've found that a powered external HD is much more reliable. I have an old 80 gig WD external that I used to use for school back in the day that I converted to my Wii game drive, and it's never failed me

GorTesK

Mad Hatter
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
try using normal isos on a ntfs drive...thats how I do it and it never failed me (I also use a 1tb external powered hdd, which I also use for storing movies and stuff) and if you want to use your hdd instead of a sd card or an usb stick, either get yourself an y-usb cable or a hdd with seperate power cable
if it still doesnt work, maybe the isos are faulty? try making new dumps using wiiflow or usbloader gx

edit: and btw I dont use any backup managers... just put the isos into a folder called "wbfs" on the ntfs hdd

Saxton

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
I tried formatting my pendrive to NTFS and putting the game iso into a "wbfs" folder as you said. This time, instead of the console freezing, it simply returned to Wii Menu.

GorTesK

Mad Hatter
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
but you can see the games in the list after starting wiiflow? or does it just freeze up/send you back to home menu right after starting wiiflow? :/

edit: and I would still suggest using a real hdd, no pendrives, dunno about the compatibility with those... I remember my ps2 always had problems with various pendrives, but my external powered hdd (the same that I still now use on my wiiu) always worked

edit2: you are using the upper usb slot in the back of the wiiu, right? not the ones in the front, but the upper one in the back - contrary to the old wii, where you had to use the lower usb slot in the back

Saxton

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
I can see the game list, yes. Upon launching the game itself though, the screen goes black for a moment and returns to Wii Menu.

GorTesK

Mad Hatter
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
seems like I edited my post, after you already replied... so in case you didn't see it, I'm reposting it for you^^

"edit: and I would still suggest using a real hdd, no pendrives, dunno about the compatibility with those... I remember my ps2 always had problems with various pendrives, but my external powered hdd (the same that I still now use on my wiiu) always worked

edit2: you are using the upper usb slot in the back of the wiiu, right? not the ones in the front, but the upper one in the back - contrary to the old wii, where you had to use the lower usb slot in the back"

GorTesK

Mad Hatter
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
well, use a real hdd, no pendrive, with a y-cable or use a hdd with external power cable... other than that I don't have any ideas left... :/ sry, I hope, someone else might be of more help

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    DinohScene @ DinohScene: ahh nothing beats a coffee disaronno at work