vWii emulation compared with Wii U

Discussion in 'Wii U - Emulation & CEMU' started by Tomassi, Feb 21, 2018.

1. Tomassi
    OP

Tomassi Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Dec 19, 2017
    United Kingdom
    Hi guys

I have a CBHC hacked Wii U, but I've not hacked the vWii side of things. In order to play emulated consoles I see I can download Retroarch to use on the Wii U and play SNES, NES, SEGA etc etc, but I was hoping to rekindle my youth and play ZX Spectrum and Amiga games as well. Any ideas if there are emulators for them on Wii U, or if I need to hack the vWii side and put some on there? Or are there no such emulators at all?

Thanks in advance :-)

2. ploggy

ploggy WAKA! WAKA!

Aug 29, 2007
    United Kingdom
    WiiU Retroarch DOES support Amiga and ZX Spectrum too ;)

3. Tomassi
    OP

Tomassi Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Dec 19, 2017
    United Kingdom
    It does??! Really??!! WOW!!!!! This is awesome, so I just need to download and install Retroarch and find some games to play? What is the name of the emulators for those particular systems on RetroArch? I'm mainly used to the SNES, NES and Genesis ones, I've never seen Spectrum or Amiga on there? Thanks for your help.

4. ploggy

ploggy WAKA! WAKA!

Aug 29, 2007
    United Kingdom
    Iirc the ZX spectrum core is called Fuse and the Amiga core is called Puae, for the Amiga core your going to need a Kickstart rom though.

5. Tomassi
    OP

Tomassi Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Dec 19, 2017
    United Kingdom
    OK, but both cores work well and are easy to setup and use, or are they quite hit and miss? Are you telling me I will be able to play Sensible Soccer on my Wii U gamepad on the sofa?!!? Please tell me I can :-)

6. ploggy

ploggy WAKA! WAKA!

Aug 29, 2007
    United Kingdom
  7. Tomassi
    OP

Tomassi Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Dec 19, 2017
    United Kingdom
    Thank you so much man (woman?)!!! You have made me so happy if I can get that up and running. I'll leave you in peace and relay any other questions in the correct thread. Thank you thank you thank you!!! :-)

ploggy likes this.
  8. ploggy

ploggy WAKA! WAKA!

Aug 29, 2007
    United Kingdom
    Mans good lol. You welcome mate :P I'll probably be the one helping you in that thread too, it's just that's the best place to get your Retroarch questions answered ;)

9. Tomassi
    OP

Tomassi Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Dec 19, 2017
    United Kingdom
    OK, cool thanks Ploggy! I've had Retroarch experience on PS3 but only with the 'easy' cores such as SNES and NES etc. I'm guessing the likes of Amiga and Spectrum are a bit harder because they are based on discs/tapes and keyboards etc rather than consoles? How complex is it to get a game running on the Amiga one for instance?

10. ploggy

ploggy WAKA! WAKA!

Aug 29, 2007
    United Kingdom
    Yep, any disk/tape Core is hard to setup but for Amiga its harder again since it uses config files. The config files are per game. I'll use Sensible Soccer as an example..

First your going to need to get yourself a Amiga Kickstart rom (I'm using 1.3 for Sensible Soccer) and place it somewhere on your SD Card.
    Then get yourself a copy Sensible Soccer and place it Somewhere on your SD Card.
    Then edit this Config file and place it in the same folder as your Sensible Soccer Game..

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1duOVhAEEh5aX7pv2zLR_zf_wwf5TcWzg

Once you've edited the Config file and it's in the same place as the Game you can load up Retroarch and boot your game..
    Load content/Browse to the game and load the .uae file ;)
    The game should boot up :)

Next the Emulator Controls..
    ZL = Brings up the Joy select. (While in this mode you can swap Joy with "L" button, You can change the Mouse speed 1-6 with "R" button and swap to Mouse with "-" )
    Y = bring the Amiga Emulator Menu. ("-" Enable Mouse)
    A = Fire Button.
    + = Onscreen Keyboard.
    ZR = Enable/Disable Sound.
    D-Pad = Control Joy.

(Certain games require the Joy to be Swapped or a certain button to be Pressed on the Onscreen Keyboard to start etc.. You have to mess around with the settings yourself..) :P
    It may look daunting at first but remember once you've got one game setup you can pretty much use that as a template for other games which would you'd only really need to change the Configs game name, number of disks and location ;) (in some rare occasions you may need to change the Kickstart.rom to a higher/lower version)

11. eilz

eilz Newbie

Newcomer
    Dec 7, 2018
    United Kingdom

@ploggy - I used the file and it fired up the game fine, but I had to change the below to get the screen working correctly if it helps anyone

gfx_width 640
    gfx_height 512

Question:) Is there anyway to stretch the screen (so uses widescreen) two side area, is there a setting in config, I tried a few but no go so far?

Screen play is square, wondered if aspect ratio setting either in config of UAE or maybe within RetroArch Video settings itself would work

Last edited by eilz, Dec 7, 2018
  12. azy77

azy77 Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Apr 11, 2016
    Sorry to hijack this thread, is it possible to map certain keyboard characters to a classic controller for P-UAE e.g Space Bar to 'x' button?

Also, any luck running Shadow of the Beast 3 fullspeed? I tried and it runs very slowly like a slideshow.

Last edited by azy77, Dec 7, 2018
  13. pedroka26

pedroka26 Newbie

Newcomer
    Sunday
    Brazil
    New kid on the block!

Here's my question: how does the NES and SNES cores performs with the new input lag feature (Run-Ahead) enabled?