vWii bricked?

Discussion in 'Wii U - Hacking & Backup Loaders' started by CoolAlpha, Oct 5, 2015.

1. CoolAlpha
    OP

CoolAlpha GBAtemp Regular

Jan 21, 2015
    Hello,
    today I got a used Wii U 32GB with the 5.2.0 E firmware but I have issues when inserting a Wii game.
    As soon as I insert it I get an error screen with the code 101-0101.
    If I enter the Wii menu I get a black screen.
    Is anything I can do?
    I want also to reset to factory settings the Wii U but it ask for a internet connection.
    Is safe to put the Wii U online to do that?
    I don't want to update the console to the latest firmware...

2. Cylent1

Cylent1 Community Smart Ass!

Oct 5, 2015
    United States
    It seems to me someone fiddled with the vWii when they didn't know exactly what they were doing.
    I would use a Mario Party 10 or Splatoon disc to update TO 5.3.2, Then I would spoof it immediatly befor I went online to reset to factory default.
    Also this would be the only way to get your vWii to work correctly if I'm not mistaking.
    Good luck in your Journey's!

Last edited by Cylent1, Oct 6, 2015
  3. gunner007

gunner007 GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Dec 31, 2013
    United States
    Did you buy this new? If so return it.

Did you buy this used? Was it already hacked on the vWii side? Is HBC on the main screen? Does it load?

There hasn't been a vWii push since 4.1, so updating to 5.3.2 won't do you any favors. Plus if your IOS are messed up, it can at worst refuse the update.

Last edited by gunner007, Oct 6, 2015
  4. DeadlyFoez

DeadlyFoez GBAtemp Guru

Apr 12, 2009
    United States
    Thanks for reading. I can tell you will be a big help around here.

retrofan_k likes this.
  5. EmceeKerser

EmceeKerser GBAtemp Maniac

Jun 3, 2014
    The fuckin' Blue Mountains brah
    Its fucked. Return it

6. CoolAlpha
    OP

Jan 21, 2015
    Yeah, I think so too...I hope that somehow later I will be able unbrick as the hacking scene evolves

Hopeefully it will update, first I have to find a dvd, @gunner007 said that the IOS can be messed up and the console can refuse the update, is that true?

Yes it is used, no HBC on the main screen, only the Wii Menu, and as soon as I insert a Wii game the console gives the error 101-0101. I can enter the menu but then I get black screen on tv (and the message on the gamepad that it cannot be used)

Nah, I got it for 180€ with 7 games, I'll use the WiiU at least...

Last edited by CoolAlpha, Oct 6, 2015
  7. EmceeKerser

Jun 3, 2014

Yes. The console can refuse to update, depending on whats been done to it, maybe (and this is a big maybe, since youre on 5.2) when more homebrew comes out, there will be a way for you to fix it. However at this stage its not fixable.

8. CoolAlpha
    OP

Jan 21, 2015
    This morning I was able to reset it to factory defaults (I waited for over 30mins with a black screen, then I decided to remove the power and hopefully the console turned on) and I configured it.
    I remember that before the reset I was getting a message "Preparing update" or similar and then I got an error like "update failed, check your internet connection", and after that I was able to start the game(s).
    I don't think that I have games with fw higher than 5.2.0 (which probably was installed via internet, but I don't know if before or after the vWii brick)

9. CoolAlpha
    OP

Jan 21, 2015
    Ok, finally I got Mario Party 10, the update starts but at 29% I get the error 162-3147 :(
    Am I stuck on 5.2.0 forever?

10. [^Blark^]

[^Blark^] GBAtemp Fan

Dec 19, 2012
    United States
    https://gbatemp.net/threads/error-162-3006-wii-u-vwii-not-updateing-fix.375269/

not sure if this will help but someone else posted about Wii U/vWii not updating. maybe try the steps in that link.

Edit: also this will update past 5.3.2 so maybe its not best to do that..

Last edited by [^Blark^], Oct 18, 2015
  11. endoverend

endoverend AKA zooksman

GBAtemp Patron
    endoverend is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jun 6, 2013
    United States
    You're in a tough situation because you can't boot any games that give homebrew access on your vWii. If you could run homebrew then we could run a sysCheck to see what's wrong, but that's not currently an option. You're sure that no games will boot at all on your vWii?

12. CoolAlpha
    OP

Jan 21, 2015
    Yeah, as soon as I insert a game I get the error 160-0101 while starting the Wii menu I get a black screen
    Another strange thing (dunno if it is a console or gamepad issue) is that when I turn on the console the left joystick goes crazy and it selects the mii on the top left, I have to reset the controller keeping pressed A + B + (-) + (+) for 4 seconds on every boot

Last edited by CoolAlpha, Oct 18, 2015
  13. pedro702

pedro702 GBAtemp Guru

Mar 3, 2014
    Portugal
    that is a messed up console for sure lol i would return it and ask for a refund lol.

14. EmceeKerser

Jun 3, 2014
  15. endoverend

endoverend AKA zooksman

GBAtemp Patron

Our Patreon
    Jun 6, 2013
    United States
    What EmceeKerser is saying could potentially help, but not for a few months or more. But for now your vWii is basically bricked, and your Wii U can't update because of how bricked it is.

16. CoolAlpha
    OP

Jan 21, 2015
    Well seems to be my last hope :) but who knows when it will be released, also many users are switching to 5.3.2 because of loadiine...

Do you think I'll be able to run sysCheck with this hoax?

17. EmceeKerser

Jun 3, 2014
    We don't know, you'll have to wait and see if it will even be possible.

18. Kenrick Eason

Kenrick Eason Newbie

Newcomer
    Nov 21, 2015
    United States
    vWii is Bricked! My worst mistake when I patched the system menu to read copy disc.. Big Mistake! Now every time I go to vWii it stuck on Black Screen.. Is it a fix to turn it back to 4.3 U normal... I'm stuck in a hard place right now...

19. endoverend

endoverend AKA zooksman

GBAtemp Patron

Our Patreon
    Jun 6, 2013
    United States
    No, at this point there's basically nothing you can do to fix it. if you're desperate, you can try updating the Wii U or even formatting, but those only have a very small chance of working.

20. mech

mech ♥️♥️♥️♥️♥️♥️♥️♥️

Oct 26, 2014
    Vanuatu
    Why did you do this?