Hardware Volume of Wii Drive Noise...

2cb2ct7

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
I'm fortunate enough to own 2 Wii's, one from Japan, one from Australia.

Australia = Drivechip unknown, Wiikey mod, sits upright.

Japan = D2C, Wii-Clip D2CKey mod, sits flat.

The Japanese console makes considerably more noise for (presumably) heavy loading sequences than the Australian Wii.

My questions are:

1) Is this related to the console orientation
2) Is this related to different drivechips (and therefore drives)
3) A less than optimal reassembly of Wii following Wii-Clip installation

Thanks!

I was pretty careful with the reassembly but (for those who have also opened their Wii up) I did notice that the four screws for attaching the actual drive to the case didn't seem to be the same length. The screw in one of the rubber stabilised seems to be able to go much deeper and "squish" the stabilising rubber. I only screwed it level not so that is squished the rubber. Might open it up again and have a look.

PigVenus

Trophies
XP
Country
I think that sometimes some drives are just louder than others. My original d2c drive was very quiet. My replacement d2b drives is quite noisy (but works fine).

krazykirk

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Well you can check if the orientation makes any difference by taking the stand off and make the Aus one lie down. I agree with PigVenus, some drives are probably louder than others, especially since it's from a different region, although that shouldn't really make that much of a difference at all.

I don't understand the 3rd question :wtf: But if you're asking if the noise could be related to what you're saying, then you could be right. If it is really loud enough to cause concern, you might want to take it apart and take a look.

lenselijer

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
wiikey runs your drive at 3x, d2ckey runs it at the normal 6x speed
smile.gif

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: yawn