Hardware Voice chat options revealed

Deboog

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Nintendo's solution to voice chat is to tell me to use my phone... as a phone.
But not before downloaded their app.

If this is their idea of online infrastructure Ninty will be praying the Switch will even be able to break Wii U sales.

Reactions: Veho and thorasgar

Nikki_swap

The Lewdest
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well on twitter they revealed you can play PS4 games on it!

seriously tho, everyone is going full bash mode without any source given.

aside from the thing having a microphone jack, anyone could say "on twitter they said"

linuxares

The inadequate, autocratic beast!
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
Somewhat related, the Fire Emblem mobile game dropped yesterday, not long after Pokemon Duels.
Probably so people can switch(pun intended) to the other game once the "stamina" is out on for example Fire Emblem.

Kioku

猫。子猫です!
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
I think the pro controller should have a 3.5mm jack since that's the standard they're going with, but I can understand why the joy cons don't. For one thing, they're not always going to be together, and for another, they're not always going to be stationary. There's too much tech crammed into each of them to fit a wireless voice-audio unit, and there's not even a good place to put the jack on the outside of the joy cons. Having your smartphone in your pocket and a headset connected to that solves for several variables without having an overly-complicated or overpriced unique solution to the whole thing.
They could make a grip with a built in headphone jack.

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Nintendo's solution to voice chat is to tell me to use my phone... as a phone.
But not before downloaded their app.

If this is their idea of online infrastructure Ninty will be praying the Switch will even be able to break Wii U sales.
Obviously voice chat isn't the only feature of the app. And I'm sorry, but after undercutting PS+ and XBL by like half, Nintendo's service is instantly better. It could have no voice chat at all and it'd still be better. They aren't acting like they're doing you a favor by charging you money like MS and Sony do.

They could make a grip with a built in headphone jack.
I suppose it's a possibility.

Last edited by Xzi,
Reactions: TotalInsanity4

TotalInsanity4

GBAtemp Supreme Overlord
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's my belief that the Switch itself does offer voice chat directly from the unit, but when you're playing on the TV you have to use the Smartphone, plus they're probably pushing the smartphone companion app because it has many features beyond just the voice chat. So they just aren't advertising that you can chat from the device yet. I could be wrong, but there does seem to be some evidence there to back up my claim.
That's how I think it will probably happen too

Kerbangman

Trophies
XP
Country
That's not the case, this just doesn't seem to make as much sense to a Western audience (yet). The amount of smartphone and app usage in Japan is through the roof, and it's not like they're the first or only country where this is the case. A smartphone app and the 3.5mm standard allows them to tap into both markets at once while clearly differentiating the two by quality of games.

Somewhat related, the Fire Emblem mobile game dropped yesterday, not long after Pokemon Duels.

Everything on a console is patented.
Horizintal scrolling etc

I think it may be down to patents
https://www.google.de/patents/US20050245317
Voice chat on mobile is free to use without license.
Theres also this app which is what Nintendo are going to do https://discordapp.com/

Last edited by Kerbangman,

Dayfid

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
It's not even voice chat since you can't talk to strangers. How the fuck is that even considered voice chat if you can't talk to strangers.

voice
vois/
noun
noun: voice; plural noun: voices
the sound produced in a person's larynx and uttered through the mouth, as speech or song.
"Meg raised her voice"
chat
CHat/
verb
verb: chat; 3rd person present: chats; past tense: chatted; past participle: chatted; gerund or present participle: chatting
talk in a friendly and informal way.
"she chatted to her mother on the phone every day"

It's considered "voice chat" because that's what it is... Just because you can't talk to strangers doesn't mean it isn't still considered voice chat. :rolleyes:

kumikochan

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
No, its voice chat. deal with it.
nope voice chat as in game chat means talking with strangers you meet online. Talking with friends as in game chat without the means of talking to strangers like you have in a chatroom or in any other game chat isn't considered real voice chat (game). I'm not talking about voice chat through Skype but in a game chat manner. If you can't talk to strangers isn't game chat !!!

Last edited by kumikochan,

Bladexdsl

fanboys triggered 9k+
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
not even that it's APP CHAT it's not even in the console or the game!

FFS nintendo
723787498ec5048f7311806e8610dd56.jpg

Reactions: kumikochan

TheCyberQuake

Certified Geek
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I largely given up on skype. Even with a 110/10 Mb connection quality still sucks. Discord is much better.
At one point I was testing Razer Comms as an alternative. If it's still a thing I would look into that. It was the best call quality I've ever had through VoIP. Crystal clear audio and really good built-in noise cancellation. I'm surprised it isn't more popular. I don't mind discord but I'm not a big fan of it.

Reactions: thorasgar

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: Slap firm lol