Hardware Voice chat options revealed

kumikochan

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
On twitter voice chat options have been revealed.
You can only talk through the app.
You can only talk to people on your friendlist from social media.
You can only talk to friends on your team.
You can't talk to strangers wich aren't on your social media page or friendlist.

Reactions: DeoNaught
S

Saiyan Lusitano

Voice-chat on a smartphone? Use Nintendo's app! Rather than, um.. you know, Skype which is actually free.

kumikochan

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Voice-chat on a smartphone? Use Nintendo's app! Rather than, um.. you know, Skype which is actually free.
It's not even voice chat since you can't talk to strangers. How the fuck is that even considered voice chat if you can't talk to strangers.

osaka35

Instructional Designer
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
gotta keep the options kid friendly I suppose. And this might make chat bearable for those games we all know are inhabited by teenagers who think screaming into their mic is the height of hilarity. It makes sense to me.

ihaveahax

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Will this "app" be on the Switch, or on a smartphone?
probably phone
Our new dedicated smart device app will connect to Nintendo Switch and let you invite friends to play online, set play appointments, and chat with friends during online matches in compatible games─all from your smart device.

A free, limited version of this app will be available for download in summer 2017.

migles

All my gbatemp friends are now mods, except for me
Trophies
XP
Country
China
stupidest idea i've ever heard instead of allowing proper voice chat lets make people use their fucking phones! nintendo 1 step forward 2 steps back... :glare:
how dafuq you voice chat? with an headset\earphones you can't hear the game. (because it's playing on the console)
you will have to grab your phone in your sholder? kids will go to the hospital with neck injuries and create long term problems
or using the phone speakers, not only the phone will grab the console sound, but the person will not be able to hear others... there is a lot of echo and people either too far from the phone or too close...

how do you properly use both things????

Last edited by migles,
Reactions: Quantumcat

fatsquirrel

Trophies
XP
Country
how do you properly use both things????
8319832-businessman-with-eight-hands-in-elegant-suit-working-hold-notepad-clipboard-cell-phone-paper-document-contract-folder-business-plan-concept-of-busy.jpg

Windaga

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm... Confused. Why would you want to use a smartphone app over something built into the system? I understand the whole "well then you can use the app instead of each individual game's built in client, so it's more stable and consistent throughout!" Mentality.... But if that were the case, why not do it like the X1 and have a party feature run on the OS level to allow the same thing? Am I missing something?

thorasgar

Checkout my evil Soon-in-ator™
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I will just die laughing if Apple pulls their typical shit and tries to force Nintendo's online service to run the trough the App Store so they get 30%.

Reactions: Saiyan Lusitano

migles

All my gbatemp friends are now mods, except for me
Trophies
XP
Country
China
Are people aware that there are devices capable of wirelessly connecting to your phone in order transmit and receive audio signals?
yeah i am aware. what device btw, in the perfect world you don't need anything..
the switch can connect to the phone wirelessly (it has bluetooth and wifi so..) and output the sound via the phone so you can use your headset connected to the phone.
but keep in mind they are always 5 years behind. i don't believe they will come up with a great idea like that...
then there are some issues like the phone must be powerfull enough, compatibilities and whatnot, and the lag the sound will have..

Veho

The man who cried "Ni".
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
It could be that this app is like the Steam mobile app and is an extension of the online service, but not actually required. I hope.

On a related note:

Nintendo website said:
* Online services require a Nintendo Account. Starting in fall 2017, some online services will also require a paid subscription. Paid online service availability may be limited based on location.

Yeah, if their past coverage is any indication, I won't have access to any online content here.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    NinStar @ NinStar: you are a product of my imagination