Hacking Voice Chat App?

nintendojii

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Has anyone made a homebrew app for the Wii which lets people talk with each other in any game? Is this even possible to make?

clownz

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think all in all thats the biggest downfall to wii online, i loved xbox live, i wish the nintendo would come out with something like that for the wii, it'd just make it that much more popular.

Det1re

det1re.de
Trophies
Website
det1re.de
XP
Country
Gambia, The
clownz said:
I think all in all thats the biggest downfall to wii online, i loved xbox live, i wish the nintendo would come out with something like that for the wii, it'd just make it that much more popular.

They have it, called WiiSpeak. But it's not the same as for XBox and only few (1?) games support it.

gamer1035

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
is it possible to make an app that allowed voice chat in the background so that you could talk to each other while playing brawl or mario kart wii online?

Det1re

det1re.de
Trophies
Website
det1re.de
XP
Country
Gambia, The
The Wii isn't designed to allow Multitasking. You can compare it like MS-DOS. You can run a card game OR a texteditor. But you can never run a card game AND a texteditor. Maybe we can enable Multitasking somewhen, like it was done on PSP, but if this ever happen... who knows.

Tagg7

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I highly doubt this is possible. If something like this were done, the game itself would run extremely slowly. Debunked.

teq

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's extremely possible to do.

However, the amount of reverse engineering required per game would be astronomical(you couldn't just apply this to the system menu and IOSes).

The problem isn't so much the games themselves as it is Nintendo's poorly designed subsystem.

comex

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Tagg7 said:
I highly doubt this is possible. If something like this were done, the game itself would run extremely slowly. Debunked.

wrong

QUOTE(teq @ Jun 20 2009, 11:22 PM) It's extremely possible to do.

However, the amount of reverse engineering required per game would be astronomical(you couldn't just apply this to the system menu and IOSes).

The problem isn't so much the games themselves as it is Nintendo's poorly designed subsystem.

wrong

Sonic4Ever

Trophies
XP
Country
France
comex said:
Tagg7 said:

wrong

wrong

Tell me more please, I'm interested about this.

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Honestly, it would probably just be better to use Ventrilo on a computer and your Wii. Depending on the distance, you could probably use a wireless headset (Bluetooth) and play your Wii in a close but different room. Mind you, I've never used Bluetooth, so I wouldn't know.

clownz

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm thinking something like xlink kai. Use the computer to connect to a specified gaming network and then for the chatrooms using a system like skype through your own computer.

I dont think it would be possible to reverse engineer the games and have them work the way you want using the wii and its internal hardware for support.

thats just my two cents though, i have been wrong.

teq

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
comex said:
Tagg7 said:

wrong

wrong

Uh, considering you quoted two contradicting opinions, how is it possible for them both to be wrong?

WiiSpeak is perfectly able to run alongside games that are designed to use it, provided the game uses an IOS that supports it. With all that has been done just in the realm of modifying IOSes and games, it can't be impossible(despite how elaborate) for someone to inject their own code.

WiiShizzza

Graphics juggler
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Gambia, The
wondering what's Comex up at.....
... but smells..... yummy
smile.gif

slashy

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
teq said:
comex said:
Tagg7 said:

wrong

wrong

Uh, considering you quoted two contradicting opinions, how is it possible for them both to be wrong?

WiiSpeak is perfectly able to run alongside games that are designed to use it, provided the game uses an IOS that supports it. With all that has been done just in the realm of modifying IOSes and games, it can't be impossible(despite how elaborate) for someone to inject their own code.

I guess it just means that it WOULD be possible via IOS modification and not making the Games run slow, since it already HAS been done (see WiiSpeak @ Animal Crossing).

On the other Hand if i'm right with that part, this means your statement would be wrong that way that it requires to reverse engineer every game. As you already said the problem aren't the games, its the Subsystem. But if you implement it there, you don't have to struggle with games. Guess we all read the post by marcan about the extendability of the Wiis features. But since Nintendo already provided such a feature, you dont need to hack it into games, just into a globally used IOS and enable it by default. Only thing is that you would totally lack the chance of ingame configuring anything on that feature. So if you want to mute it you would have the modified IOS to read an config file, maybe with an setting per game and make your settings BEFORE you start the games.

correct me if i'm wrong
wink.gif

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @OctoAori20, Thank you. Hope you're in good spirits today like I am. :)