Voice acting sometimes fails.

Discussion in 'PSP - Games & Content' started by Rydian, Aug 24, 2010.

Aug 24, 2010

Voice acting sometimes fails. by Rydian at 5:28 AM (1,241 Views / 0 Likes) 11 replies

1. Rydian
    OP

Member Rydian Resident Furvert™

Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
    United States
    I'm playing Crisis Core on a PSP slim, 5.50 Prometheus.
    This issue happened when I was on 5.50 Gen-D3 as well, playing Dissidia.

The problem is that some lines of dialogue during in-game cutscene will play, and some won't. Usually if a line of dialogue fails to play, then the rest of the voice acting is silent for that cutscene as well. That's normally not a big deal as it's subtitled anyways with both games, but with Crisis Core sometimes the subtitle text doesn't show up either, or it shows up and then vanishes in a split-second .

Game loading/playing speed seems just fine other than that.
    My memory stick is an 8GB Sandisc, Chinese.
    Both games are ISO, not CSO, and match popular dumps.

-Plugins-
    Game Categories VSH
    PSNLover VSH
    Cheatmaster VSH
    Cheatmaster Game
    PSNLover Game
    CWCheatpops POPS
    psploader POPS

I'm going to try it later without the plugins, and if that doesn't work I'll back up my memory stick, format it, and copy all the files back. I just wanted to see if this was a known issue with anything, as I thought it was just Dissidia at first.

EDIT: Copied everything off, formatted through windows, then through the PSP, copied everything back on and disabled all plugins. No change. Near the beginning of the game, with the "dumbapples" scene, after the "if he was your friend why didn't you just ask?" line, like clockwork, both the voices and subtitles stop playing properly, though the scene continues fine.

2. Jolan

Member Jolan Unlimited Bear Works

Bulgaria
    Have you tried a re-flash?

3. issy12

Member issy12 GBAtemp Regular

United Kingdom
    i would try getting another ISO

4. Rydian
    OP

United States
    Was considering that. Could I just download the GEN-D3 installer and run it?

5. Ultralex

Member Ultralex GBAtemp Fan

Germany
    YYou know that prometheus is just a patch and not a standalone cfw,you ar still on d3.
    Just run the d3 installer.

6. Rydian
    OP

United States
    My concern was that since promethus is just an addition, if the installation of D3 would remove what promethus added.

EDIT: Back on D3, same issue. I'll try making sure my copy of the game's not damaged.

7. Zetta_x

Member Zetta_x The Insane Statistician

United States
    How often is this occurring. I went through the first couple cutscenes and didn't notice any problems. I'm doing 5.5 gen D3. What I did notice was that the data transfer to the memory stick was kind of often during the first cut scene. Maybe the memory stick is not keeping up with outputting speed? If it's verified with a good dump, there is little more that can be the problem.

8. Rydian
    OP

United States
    With Dissidia it happened a lot, I played through all the story modes and I'd say 50% of the lines, I never got to hear. It's odd, because everything else loads perfectly, so I thought little of it. Just, when a line wouldn't play, more often than not the rest in that scene wouldn't play either. Sometimes I'd get a few more lines in before stopping, sometimes not.

But again, that was subtitled so it was a minor annoyance.

However with Crisis Core it's happening on the dot every time, in the first outside mission to wutai, during the talk about dumbapples, right after Zack says something like "if he was your friend why didn't you just ask?", the audio cuts out, and the subtitles seem to cut out as well... but the game continues along just fine.

I haven't tried another cutscene after that, because I'm obviously missing some storyline elements.

Also, when I say "cutscene", I don't mean FMV. I mean the in-game scenes where you have no control and they're going around having flashbacks and whatever.

9. Zetta_x

Member Zetta_x The Insane Statistician

United States
    I'll get to the dumbapples scene of Crisis Core and see if the same thing happens. May take a minute so I'll re-edit this post. I also have a slim so I'm pretty sure we have similar components hardware wise maybe the slight differentiation of the magic stick.

Hmm... I just passed that scene. Everything seemed to work fine. I was watching the magic stick loading LED (I believe the orange one that randomly flashes on the left side of the PSP) and it was not responding. My initial guess was that the scenes were being streamed from the magic stick and some hardware specific was interfering with having a perfect stream. That does not seem to be the case. I'll continue playing the game and see if anything similar to what you have described has happened. I'm actually no PSP expert but I hope the information I post will be some use in diagnosing the problem!

10. DarkDusk

Newcomer DarkDusk Member

United States
    It's your memory stick. Try the game again with a different stick.

11. Rydian
    OP

United States
    Turns out my copy of the game was damaged. ^^; It wouldn't actually go much further beyond that point. Got it from scratch again and it's working fine.

Took me a while to check because I didn't feel like transferring 1.6 gigs of data for the fourth time, 'ya know?

12. Blaze163

Member Blaze163 The White Phoenix's purifying flame.

United Kingdom
    I had a similar issue with Ace Combat X Skies Of Deception, the cutscenes and sound files were all screwy, playing out of sequence. Generally just a bad file when that happens, I just delete it and try again.