Vita - Does it run on AC (power) only?

Discussion in 'PS Vita - Console, Accessories and Hardware' started by TrudleR, Jan 29, 2014.

1. TrudleR
    OP

TrudleR Newbie

Newcomer
    Jan 3, 2014
    Swaziland
    Hello guys

I like devices which last "forever". The problem on the current Lithium-Ion technology is, that the battery-life drains even if you don't use it. Means: If you want to be nostalgic in 20 years and you take your vita, it'll maybe be dead because of the old battery and you won't be able to find a new one without doing handstands.

I saw that the device is only powered over micro-usb. My HTC One drains battery if I use the whole power out of it, even if plugged in. So there is really to less power going in. If it is the same for the vita, I wont be really happy about this product.

Is it the same for the vita? I hope anyone can help me with it, since I'm not really sure if you are able to replace the battery/take it out for testing.

Or did you play on it while charging and notice , that even while charging the battery drained?

Greets
    Trudler

2. Nathan Drake

Nathan Drake Obligations fulfilled, now I depart.

Jan 2, 2011
    As a Vita owner, I can confirm that I played it to near death off the charger, plugged that sucker in, and it charged more than I lost, meaning that it charged even while I played just fine. Also, when not in use, the power-saver/sleep mode is probably the best thing ever. I've left my Vita in sleep mode for days and come back to it seemingly having lost no power, despite not being on the charger.

Edit: Though, if you're asking if it can run off the charger without the battery in, I don't know. The Vita battery isn't exactly easily removed. I would guess that it might be able to, since I believe the PSP could also run off of the charger only, but a quick google brings up nothing on it either.

3. Arras

Arras GBAtemp Guru

Sep 14, 2010
    Netherlands
    For some reason my PSP never turned on with an empty battery, but remove the battery entirely and it started just fine. (when hooked up to a charger, of course) Or the other way around, can't quite remember. I think it was this way though.

4. TrudleR
    OP

TrudleR Newbie

Newcomer
    Jan 3, 2014
    Swaziland
    @Narthan Drake: Thanks for your reply. :) Good to hear.

Arras: Do

EDIT:

This is the second time that my answer gets cut?! I didn't write just "Do" to Arras.

Original Text:

@Narthan Drake: Thanks for your reply. :) Good to hear.

Arras: Don't you mean PS Vita? ;)