WeeBabyDoll

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Hey everyone,
My mother in laws laptop - which currently runs windows vista has become corrupt. Her laptop never came with a recovery disk (which is supposed to reinstall windows vista I think)
I have downloaded the recovery disk and put it onto cd (both recovery for 32 bit and 64 bit - I don't know which version she is running as I can't access her laptop.)
Now, this recovery CD definatly re-installs vista? And it doesnt need any serial numbers or reject it because it isn't a ligitimate copy?? Is there anything else I should know about the recovery disk?
I do have one my uncle did for me when my vista laptop went hay-wire but it has a virus, but I got rid of it when I reinstalled my anti-virus and did a scan. I would feel better using the one I have made as it doesnt have a virus.
Also, another friend wants me to do her desktop computer - would using the recovery disk on hers be safe aswell?? Thanks for any help you can offer.

Chris_Skylock

Trophies
Website
www.friendster.com
XP
Country
recovery disk only fixes the problems. you will need COMMAND PROMPT knowledge

if it has vista pre-installed, try pressing F10 while booting.

if you have the CD, it's a recovery disk that re-install vista. the one you download probably will fix it while retaining the installed one. dont be confused with recovery to a recovery recovery

WeeBabyDoll

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Would it be okay if I posted the link to the download? From what I gather they completely re-install vista...
The disk my uncle made for me completely re-installed windows vista when I had it.

WeeBabyDoll

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Oh I just re-read what they were saying and it says it is just recovery and not re-installation...
So just use my uncles disk? I have been doing reading and online it says their should be a function to create this kind of disk. Is this right enough?

spotanjo3

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
To follow the instruction. Google is your friend.. There are tons about this to show step by step. Its easy, really. I suggest you find it and print it then follow it, thats simple.
smile.gif

WeeBabyDoll

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I have been reading up on others who are trying to reinstall having not been sent a disk. Other people are saying to phone up the manufacturers and ask them to send one out if it is still covered by warrenty - which my mother in laws isnt.

exangel

executioner angel
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
WeeBabyDoll said:
I have been reading up on others who are trying to reinstall having not been sent a disk. Other people are saying to phone up the manufacturers and ask them to send one out if it is still covered by warrenty - which my mother in laws isnt.

Two times I have had to "buy" the recovery disc for a machine to do a restoration of the operating system. Even if they are not under warranty you can usually get a disc from the manufacturer but you're almost always responsible for the Shipping and Handling and often a fee for the disc itself.

Machines that were not sold with a recovery disc amongst its packaged documentation typically have a recovery partition. Unless it was removed or was never there, there may be information about booting from the recovery partition in the documentation or online (PDF) manual for that model. A recovery partition typically contains an image that can restore the machine to its factory-installed state.

Good luck

WeeBabyDoll

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Also, 1 more question - does it matter if the computers were made bu different manufacturers? My mother in laws is e-machine and mine was advent. Would the same disk still work?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BakerMan
    I rather enjoy a life of taking it easy. I haven't reached that life yet though.
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: "I'm cheating on you with your hamster's cousin's owner's dog's favorite tree" +1