Hacking Virgin Backwards Compatibility mod?

LanHikariDS

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Mostly trying to get my thoughts written out before I go to sleep and maybe get some feedback, so apologies if the opening post is a little jumbled around, I'll probably clean it up in the morning (probably not). Expect rambling fantasies from someone who doesn't know what he's talking about-

After some sifting around on the internet, I came to find out that Microsoft would allow you to burn Xbox 360 Backwards Compatibility updates onto a disc and run the burned disc on your Xbox 360 and install the update. ( https://web.archive.org/web/2010091...-GB/games/backwardscompatibility_old.htm#disc ) I've yet to personally test whether or not this still works in newer dashboards, but assuming that it does still work, it led me to think about possible implications for modding. Now, it's nearly 5:00am, and I lack much knowledges in the workings of the update, but I see it as a (very unlikely) possibility to become the Xbox 360's equivalent to the Dreamcast's MilCD exploit. Though, I feel like such an obvious trick would already have been published about to hell, and probably even patched by Microsoft. Now, onto the more realistic of possibilities, what if we modified the update file to allow more games to run on the 360? I mean, I don't expect anyone to figure out how to make broken games work, but I've seen that TimeSplitters Future Perfect mostly works if enabled on a modded 360, why not enable it in the modded update to play on a virgin 360? I mean, if Horizon can sign and rehash save files to work on 360, why wouldn't we be able to do the same with XEX files?

LanHikariDS

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Huh, that sucks, but I can't say I could expect much else. I didn't know the current signatures were "broken", but they still work for save games?

DinohScene

Gay twink catboy
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
It's possible to inject downloaded Xbox saves from the web, the moment the 360 came out and Xbox BC was a thing, people immediately tried the hacked saves but to no avail.

That being said, hardware hacked machines have a hacked emulator that allows them to play more games then the stock one can.
At this point in the 360's life, I don't think there's much you can expect.
Back when the RGH was released, there was a small peak in activity but it dwindled down really quickly.

I guess people where more interested in hosting cheat lobbies for COD kiddies and ruining XBLive then to develop useful programs...

LanHikariDS

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah, I know I could play more Xbox Classic games on a hacked 360, but I've only got the one console that I do use for Xbox Live, so fully hacking it is a no-go. Besides, the only use I even have for hacking my 360 would be to have another system that can play TimeSplitters: Future Perfect, for LAN parties and such, so it's really not even worth getting a 360 to mod; at that point, I might as well just get another original Xbox.

As for the possibility of getting new BC games officially, I dunno. I feel there's a *very* slim chance that they might add a game or two to the 360's BC list if it gets added to XBO's list, and isn't already on the 360 list, because Star Wars Battlefront II wasn't downloadable on 360, but got added to 360's Games on Demand back in April when it went Backwards Compatible on XBO.

And yeah, I agree. Whenever the Xbox community gets ahold of any kind of exploit or hack, that game's pretty much ruined if left alone. Halo Reach's Grifball playlist is a testament to that, in that it's literally impossible to play Grifball anymore.

DinohScene

Gay twink catboy
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
I think MS might add a few more games to BC but yeh, it won't be much haha.
Ever considered Dual NAND?
Hacked and retail state, best of both worlds.

LanHikariDS

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey, something is something. Considering Dambuster has the rights to TimeSplitters again, here's hoping :D
I never looked too much into how to mod a 360, I hardly even know the difference between RGH and JTAG, but dual NAND is entirely new to me.

DinohScene

Gay twink catboy
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
RGH is a unpatchable hack for all 360's made between 2007 and now, excluding the redesigned Slims.
JTAG is for the old phatties with a dash equal or lower then 7371.

Dual NAND on RGH is possible ;p
It gives you an extra NAND which you can use as a clean NAND so that you can go on XBLive.

lisreal2401

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
When I started to look at the first post, I got about three sentences in before I was like... oh, this is me in 2011.

I'll die before there's a software hack on the 360, well another one... insane good job by Microsoft, not that I can't by a RGH right now, I just want to see it happen

LanHikariDS

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Define "Redesigned Slims". I'm currently using the Halo: Reach slim 360

Also "Unpatchable Hack" :rofl2: They said the same thing about the Switch. Though at this point in time, I doubt they'd bother.

Armadillo

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Define "Redesigned Slims". I'm currently using the Halo: Reach slim 360

The E verison of the slims, specifically the E versions with a Winchester motherboard.

Also "Unpatchable Hack" :rofl2: They said the same thing about the Switch. Though at this point in time, I doubt they'd bother.

It's unpatchable on exploitable hardware. Same as the switch is. Winchester motherboard is a new hardware revision with the flaw fixed.

Reactions: DinohScene

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BakerMan
    I rather enjoy a life of taking it easy. I haven't reached that life yet though.
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: "I'm cheating on you with your hamster's cousin's owner's dog's favorite tree" +1