vinyl vs cds what do you prefer

Discussion in 'General Off-Topic Chat' started by nukeboy95, May 13, 2013.

1. nukeboy95
    OP

nukeboy95 Leave luck to heaven.

Aug 24, 2010
    United States
    not sure
    soo i wanted to know what you prefer good old vinyl or cds and why

2. frogboy

frogboy lacking both style and grace

Dec 6, 2011
    United States
    MP3s because no matter how hard I try, vinyls won't fit in my computer.

Snailface and air2004 like this.
  3. nukeboy95
    OP

Aug 24, 2010
    United States
    not sure
  4. mechadylan

mechadylan GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Aug 18, 2009
    United States
  5. frogboy

frogboy lacking both style and grace

Dec 6, 2011
    United States
  6. nukeboy95
    OP

Aug 24, 2010
    United States
    not sure
    well you can get really good digital copy if you use a Stanton ST-150 clug in to a pioneer mixer and then clug the mixer in to a aux in

but that cost $1000+

7. Plstic

Plstic Guru Meditation Error

Apr 21, 2010
    United States
    Milwaukee WI
    CD master race here. Vinyl is scratchy and crackly, plus there's too much maintenance involved.

8. ShadowSoldier

ShadowSoldier GBAtemp Guru

Oct 8, 2009
    Canada
    It actually depends on the type of song for me to be honest. Otherwise, I'm allllll atrac baby.

frogboy and air2004 like this.
  9. mechadylan

Aug 18, 2009
    United States
    Certain albums were also written to be enjoyed from beginning to end with only a break for flipping the record (Pink Floyd--Meddle, Neil Young--After The Gold Rush, etc.) Other albums gave you almost two distinct views (Led Zeppelin III, Abbey Road, etc.) Mp3s simply give you too many options to skip around, repeat and such. Sure, these are nice features; but I think it's easier to appreciate some vinyl in it's front to back form.

10. Snailface

Snailface My frothing demand for 3ds homebrew is increasing

Sep 20, 2010
    Engine Room with Cyan, watching him learn.
    Cassette tapes are where its at man. ^^ (80s <3)

Really, whatever format one grows up with is what they will have the feels for.

mechadylan likes this.
  11. nukeboy95
    OP

Aug 24, 2010
    United States
    not sure
    na man its all at the 8tracks

12. Clarky

Clarky Don't you know who I think I am?

Oct 4, 2007
    United States
    vinyl due to the better dynamics most the time, that and most cd's tend to be brick walled

RowanDDR likes this.
  13. mechadylan

Aug 18, 2009
    United States
    I like cassette to digital conversions, so long as it's something not available on cd; bootleg tapes of early punk shows or soundboard recordings, for example. If I like an album enough, I'll buy it in vinyl and digital format.

14. xist

xist ΚΑΤΑ ΤΟΝ ΔΑΙΜΟΝΑ ΕΑΥΤΟΥ

Jul 14, 2008
    This is a really good article with a simple explanation of why Vinyl releases may be better choices than CD releases. And then ripping the vinyl to a digital format to make an audio file should make a better sounding encode than a track from a CD. (I'm still not sold on cassette tapes...there has been a huge resurgence in the popularity of the cassette tape as a distribution medium, thanks in part to small black metal and death metal labels, which has seen limited runs of albums/ep's only released as tapes{or with other formats only months later}. Tapes are not friendly for use, they don't survive well and most people have already ditched any way to play them!).

Despite everything i'll still plump for CD's as my archival format because they're easier to store, rip and use. Brick walling isn't universal and i believe it's height of popularity has passed.

15. Kouen Hasuki

Kouen Hasuki Kouen the Cyber Husky

Jan 9, 2013
    Norway
    Gaming Bunker
    I bought like 20 CD's last month xD

16. J-Machine

J-Machine Self proclaimed Pog champion

Aug 25, 2011
    Canada
    A concrete Igloo
    I prefer vinyl but cds are more plentiful

17. wafflebeard

wafflebeard Member

Newcomer
    Jul 12, 2012
    United States
    mp3s because I can take them anywhere and everywhere. All I need is a pair of headphones and a charged phone.

Of the two choices though I'd go with vinyl. They make me look oh so sophisticated and they're easy to spin backwards to hear all the satanic messages.

18. FAST6191

FAST6191 Techromancer

pip Reporter
    Nov 21, 2005
    Whichever is mastered better but if the digital media is mastered the same then no contest there and if I can just rip the other then that works too.

I think my favourite phrase once uttered in a similar discussion was "if it sounds better to you then great but do not expect your mates to hear the difference".

19. Sop

Sop groovy dude lmao

Banned
    Nov 14, 2010
    qld
    Vinyl or digital.

20. pwsincd

pwsincd Garage Flower

Dec 4, 2011
    Manchester UK
    I prefered having vinyl for the covers , and cared for they can sound better than cds , I recall the day CD's arrived and i did buy a cd stereo system , they did advertise cd,s as scratch resistant , i recall someone spreading jam on a cd then wiping it clean and then playing it as part of the campaign to promote them. I always felt kinda ripped off financially for the price of a cd compared to vinyl in those days , having less physical product for my money. But im old School when it comes to music . Still have tons of vinyl but need to get a turntable .