Video Game Quirks

Discussion in 'General Gaming Discussion' started by Tom Bombadildo, Aug 31, 2012.

Aug 31, 2012

Video Game Quirks by Tom Bombadildo at 5:53 AM (3,641 Views / 1 Likes) 66 replies

1. Tom Bombadildo
    OP

Contributor Tom Bombadildo Honk!

pip
    United States
    So recently a lot of my friends have been pointing out all of these quirks I have when I play games. Obviously I've never been aware of them before, but now that they point them out I kinda notice them all the time now. They can be in-game or things you do while playing the game. For example:

When playing RPG games with archery, I'll never train up any other combat skill so I end up having to fight enemies close range with my bow. This was pointed out while playing Skyrim, and now I find that I actually do this in a lot of similar RPGs.

I also do the same thing in FPS with Sniper classes, I guess I'm just fascinated with marksmanship.

While playing PC games I've never played before, I'll do a really fast quick run with cheats enable to get an idea of the controls and what I'll face in the game. I generally skip story elements and all that so the game still feels fresh when I replay it. People always ask me if that screws with boss battles cuz I have info on how to defeat them already, but this is false. 1 shot kill ftw.

I never use hints on puzzle games, there have been times when I've been stuck for over half an hour and I refused to look it up/receive help.

When playing a new Zelda console game, I'll always have a particular setting while I play. I'll have a bag of Tostito's or similar chips with some mild cheese dip, the room must be lighted in a specific way (relatively dark with little brightness) and I'll always be hunched over. I suppose I do this because this is how I played my first Zelda game, and ever since I wanted to recreate that feel for every new Zelda game. If I replay it, I don't do this.

and of course I'm sure there's more, so I'll keep adding on whenever I think of them.

tl;dr post your video game quirks.

1 person likes this.

2. Lanlan

Member Lanlan Tits

United States
    When playing Diablo clones I rarely use active spells. I'm normally melee with tons of passives.
    In Fallout 3 and New Vegas I never use energy or melee weapons, just guns. Well, technically small guns in 3.

3. Law

Member Law rip ninjacat that zarcon made me

United Kingdom
    I get super lucky my first time playing a video game and people go "well you've obviously played it millions of times before"

nope, just super lucky. I don't mean to go the right way every time, I enjoy treasure hunting more than the average person.

4. Celice

Member Celice GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

United States
    For the past few nights, I've been burning nag champa while I play s.t.a.l.k.e.r.

That's about it really :/

5. lismati

Member lismati Speedrunner in practice

Poland
    I have a magic deviation. If any game, RPG or not, has skill trees, I'll always go for magic, and level it up most, usually beyond logic. (My wet dream is collecting four magic tomes with one hero in HoMM3)

Also, when playing team games, like Team Fortress, or League Of Legends, I almost always play supportive classes, I find more pleasure in keeping the killers alive, than killing.

6. Sterling

Member Sterling GBAtemp's Silver Hero

United States
    Any game I play with scary element or the "surprise buttsecs" effect I always have a particular scream when I'm surprised. My friends all refer to it as my, "Bitch Scream". I don't even realize I do it, it's all instinct. It's actually quite funny to see me playing Dead Space. I'm all hunched over during "safe zones" and I sit like a ramrod during any "unsafe zones". Anyone who touches me in ramrod mode gets something unpleasant.

In any RPG I always play an Archer first. The game could have added the most OMG WTF PWN ROFLSTOMP class and I'd play an archer class first. Something about putting an arrow between the eyes of my enemy is just so satisfying.

In FPS games I'm either one of three things. 1) I don't give a fuck. Seriously, my mic is out and I bend people over. 2) You're good, I enjoy playing with you. (whether or not my teammates suck) 3) RAGE MODE. Curses flying everywhere. My mic is usually off though and I never direct anger at people unless they trash talk.

Oh yeah, I forgot to add, I've never played a guy in any game where I'm given the choice. Dragon Age: Origins/2 I played a girl. All the ES games I made the most attractive girl I could. Guild Wars is the exception. Both my main and second main are guys, with the rest being girls. I also always deck the girls out with as much badass equipment I can. My guys are all usually under equipped. :/

EDIT: Actually it's really more of a yelp than a scream.

7. Hells Malice

Member Hells Malice Are you a bully?

Canada
    In any game that allows me to build my character, I go for maximum DPS at all times. I have a huge issue, lol. I need to see massive numbers, or at least massive output to be happy. I don't care if I sacrifice all my defense to do it too. SMITE made that obvious, i'll pick a character with no defense, and they're supposed to get some defense items to survive better...but i'll just ignore the recomended defense items and stack more attack. I have a "It can't kill me if I kill it first." attitude.

I have a sexist quirk when it comes to my healer in MMOs, or any RPG really. Has to be a girl. If you're not female, don't bother. I've ALWAYS found females to be better at healing. Now i'm sure guys do a good job sometimes...but meh.

I have a "never back down" attitude in games. Even if i'm completely screwed, i'll see something through to the end anyway. Usually leads to a crappy K/D ratio, buuut whatever. If you quit, you lose. If you keep trying you might still win. Found that out a few times.

In certain fighters I have an apparently uncanny ability to read and counter people. Had it pointed out to me a few times. I never even noticed. Basically i'll suck ass and lose the first round, but then every round after that i'll mop the floor with your face. I subconsciously watch, learn and counter a persons fighting style without even knowing i'm doing it.

I'm a candy fiend when I plan on setting up shop in my games room and binge playing a new RPG. I think I nearly wrecked my teeth playing Tales of Graces. Way, way too much candy consumed.

I'm impatient and will jump off of tall structures to save time instead of taking a conventional path. Usually wastes time as I reload my save or wait to respawn...>_>;;

Ehhh S'all I got for now. I have a lot of quirks.

8. 1NOOB

Member 1NOOB GBAtemp Fan

Canada
    theres a monk(or martial art dude ) in that game ? well it is gonna be my character(s) ... loved my 4 black belt guys in ff1 xD

1 person likes this.
  9. Depravo

Global Moderator Depravo Jaded curmudgeon

United Kingdom
    When reaching a new town in traditional JRPGs I will grind until I can afford all the best new weapons and armour for each character (even the ones I hardly use) before continuing with the story. And it's always the armour first.

10. Tom Bombadildo
    OP

pip
    United States
    I usually stick with main quests in RPGs on my first play through, it usually gives me a general idea of what's to come later. For instance, my first playthrough of Skyrim was only 5 hours long. Of course, sometimes this causes the difficulty to increase in some games due to your low level but meh. I beat Alduin at level 10. Took me a good 20 health potions to stay alive, but it wasn't as difficult as I thought it'd be. Now on my playthrough on my 360 I'm about 40 hours in and I'm the leader of the Thieves Guild, College of Winterhold, soon to be the Dark Brotherhood and the Companions. I'm about halfway through the Imperial quests as well.

I don't usually pick up loot over 20whateverweight in RPGs with a carry limit unless it's some kind of special weapon or quest item.

When playing horror games I used to always pick something up and take it with me (if you could). I never knew this was something people did in Let's Plays until someone mentioned it to me, I just always felt better with something in my hands. I haven't played any good horror games in a while and I've pretty much gotten all of the Amnesia Custom Stories that are worth the download done, so nothing else has peaked my interest lately.

11. Blaze163

Member Blaze163 The White Phoenix's purifying flame.

United Kingdom
    - When playing any Pokemon game, I instinctively hold down and B while throwing a pokeball because someone at school once told me it enhances your capture rate. I know it doesn't now, but I still do it out of force of habit.

- I do the same thing in the Final Fantasy games, I rock the D-pad back and forth because again I was told it makes the ATB guage rise faster. It doesn't. That's what Haste magic is for.

- Having spent many hours of my life playing Ace Combat Squadron Leader (hence the name) I found myself thrilled at finding cats in Monster Hunter Freedom Unite named Kei (my chef) and Edge (my companion cat), after my wing-woman, Kei 'Edge' Nagase, the only AI squad mate in all of gaming history that can actually kill things.

- A lot of my fighting styles are adapted from various techniques used in games of many genres, something my friends rip on frequently by implying that one day I'll be able to pull off Juri's 'Kaisen Dankairaku' move from Super Street Fighter 4. I can't. If I could I wouldn't be here. I'd be dealing with the prick in the flat above me playing his dubstep til 4 in the morning.

- I'm so enamoured with the 'Cherry Blossom' paint scheme on the F14D Super Tomcat in the Ace Combat series that I'll fly the F14D simply to use it, even if the aircraft is totally unsuited to the mission. I'll endure. Incidentally, check out what I found on Amazon...http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004S969U4/ref=asc_df_B004S969U42159277?smid=A1BKVSJG1RNAQO&tag=dealtmp93519-20&linkCode=asn&creative=395105&creativeASIN=B004S969U4

DO WANT.

- Even if he's totally useless, I'll always keep the main character of any RPG in the party. For example, in my current FFXII save, Vaan is beyond worthless, but as he's meant to be the lead character, I keep him in anyway in the hope that he'll eventually do something useful.

I have more, but I wouldn't want to hog the limelight all day. Gonna go find the money for that F14D model :)

12. Fishaman P

Member Fishaman P Speedrunner

United States
    In Pokemon, I always hold A and SELECT when selecting a ball, then release both just before it closes.
    I know it doesn't do anything, but I caught my Shiny Rayquaza on Premier Ball #5 the first time I used it, and I caught a Shiny Regirock with just 1 Premier Ball using it.

In RPG games (including Pokemon), when I am working my way through a dangerous path, I always go back and heal whenever I take a single point of damage, just in case.

I am obsessed with having a low play time. Used 2 Poke Balls to catch a Diglett? RESET.

13. Depravo

Global Moderator Depravo Jaded curmudgeon

United Kingdom
    I'm totally the opposite. I'll always complete any available side quests before progressing the main story. For instance, when I first played Oblivion I had finished all the thieves and fighters guilds quests before I'd even taken the amulet to Weynon Priory.

14. Gahars

Member Gahars Bakayaro Banzai

United States
    If I get super engrossed in a game, I'll start bending in closer and closer to the screen. I'll only realize this hours later when I try to get up.

1 person likes this.
  15. Taleweaver

Member Taleweaver Storywriter

Belgium
    I play Mario games (and even most other platformers) while holding the run button pressed the whole time. For me, not pressing the run button is like pressing a button.

On really intense games (F-zero comes to mind), I tend to bite my left teeth in excitement. Usually, I notice this only afterward.

Also: I'm a cheapskate when it comes to item usage. If an item cures 25 health, I WILL NOT USE IT unless it can heal me for the full 25 health. And if there's a healing fountain within 100 kilometers, I'll go find it rather than using the one from my item list (unless I'm carrying too much to take on extra stuff). I usually finish games having taken less than half the items that I've ever found.

And not really a quirk, but worth mentioning: I'm using a N52 for PC gaming, and as Belgians we have AZERTY instead of the more common QWERTY. Which means: on pretty much all PC games, I'll start by rebinding things into something that makes sense. Usually, this tends to change three or four times once I start to get the hang of where the important buttons are (the N52 has pretty much all buttons within grasp...but games never cater for it).

2 people like this.
  16. Quietlyawesome94

Member Quietlyawesome94 GBAtemp Maniac

United States
    The Verge recently had something similar to this. Got to see how a lot of people share the same quirks about gaming.

http://www.theverge....d-gaming-habits

Here are a few things I do that a lot of other folks seem to do

1. On loading screens, spin the left analog stick counter clock-wise and the right stick clock-wise. I also click both the sticks while waiting.

2. If I am new to a RPG, I'll do a save state almost every 15 seconds, before a battle, and after a battle.

3. I only get into the mood to play through older games like Majora's Mask or MGS when I'm going on a long road trip...

4. I'm left-handed. Most people find it odd that I can only properly use a mouse in my left hand. I simply can't play a PC game that does not allow the key bindings to be switched from WASD to IJKL.

I'll edit this later if I think of any. ;)

17. SixSenseEagle

SixSenseEagle Newbie

I'm definitely Number 1 :).

18. soulx

Member soulx GBAtemp Legend

Canada
    I button-mash the A button when catching a Pokemon. I swear it works!

19. weavile001

Member weavile001 Spiritmaster

Brazil
    i never use an item in any kind of game,that makes me have a lot of game overs.

in rpgs of any kind , i never used a magic spell , only phys attacks.

while plaiyng a fighting game, i have the habit to attack eternaly the opponent while its guarding.

and when i´m going to catch any pokemon, i like to close my eyes , i swear it works.

20. Tom Bombadildo
    OP

pip
    United States
    I do the save thing too. I remember I forgot to do it once in Skyrim after killing a dragon by myself and learning 3 words of power from one stone. Damn Dragon Priest apparently showed up and killed me before I know what was going on >.