Very slow transfer speeds

yusuo

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
So I recently acquired a old PC, think it's a Intel core duo 1.4ghz with 2gb of ddr1. Anyway I don't need it to be amazing it's purely as a torrent box.
Either way I tried upgrading the hdd recently, it was running a 60gb ide hdd, I've got it to run
with a 250gb sata hdd that I had lying around.
This PC didn't have sata adapters on the motherboard itself so I got a pci sata adapter.
Now the problem that's happening since I've upgraded the hard drive it whenever I try and copy something on Windows it never manages any more than a 1.3mb/s transfer rate, most of the time settling at 1.0mb/s. This makes copying over things to my media player a lengthy process.

OK fair enough, I thought it was just a limitation with the adapter, however when I went and stuck on Linux mint for dual booting purposes I realised that I get perfect transfer speeds, 8mb/s over the network, 20mb/s internal transfers.

The os's are both still on the 60gb drive, the 250 is purely for storage

This means there is something inside windows thats telling the machine to limit the speeds.

I'm all updated on drivers and Google has been very vague so I turn to the temp for help. Any ideas guys/girls (and catboys)

Arras

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
If you're going to use it only as a torrent box anyway, why not just stick Linux on there and leave it? It'd solve the issue at least.

yusuo

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
If you're going to use it only as a torrent box anyway, why not just stick Linux on there and leave it? It'd solve the issue at least.

Rss feeds in Linux are tricky, last time I ran a pure Linux box it took me about an hour to set up my Rss feeds and even then some didn't work properly, utorrent just makes the whole process a lot easier, its the syntax in Linux that screwed me over, last one I made was using vim

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: That was scary just had a half a second power flash