Very important question about system transfer.

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by Sonic Angel Knight, Jun 14, 2016.

1. Sonic Angel Knight
    OP

Sonic Angel Knight GBAtemp Guru

May 27, 2016
    United States
    New York
    This has probably been asked before. So i''m probably able to get a new 3ds system, but i was curious about my old one. I had installed the custom firmware on it as done in the github guide by phlacet (did i spell it wrong?) But if i wanted to system transfer to new one with cfw, what process will i be able to use to keep both on cfw?

Last edited by Sonic Angel Knight, Jun 19, 2016

2. astronautlevel

astronautlevel But he's a guy

Jan 26, 2016
    United States
    That Nightly Site™
    Plailect :P

Also yeah, system transfer won't remove CFW.

3. Sonic Angel Knight
    OP

May 27, 2016
    United States
    New York

So i do system transfer, the stuff gets on new 3ds then the old one will be like new again but still have cfw
    Do i need to install cfw on the new one first?

4. astronautlevel

Jan 26, 2016
    United States
    That Nightly Site™
    Yes, definitely install CFW on the new one first, otherwise it will force you to update to 11.0 and you'll be locked out forever.

Pirated games won't transfer, but you can install the tickets and the saves will be there

5. TheGrayShow1467

TheGrayShow1467 屈折

Oct 12, 2014
    United States
    I have an odd question on the same topic: Can you do a system transfer from one system's EmuNAND to another system's SysNAND without removing stuff from the SysNAND console? (Tickets I guess?)

6. Sonic Angel Knight
    OP

May 27, 2016
    United States
    New York

So install cfw on new 3ds first before system transfer, so then both systems will still have cfw and my new 3ds will have all my purchased owned content from the eshop too right?

7. astronautlevel

Jan 26, 2016
    United States
    That Nightly Site™
    Yes, that's correct.

8. Sonic Angel Knight
    OP

May 27, 2016
    United States
    New York
    So if i do buy a new 3ds xl, and i happen to get unlucky and need to downgrade to install hax, is there a reliable person i can contact for help? I'm hoping it won't come to that but you never know.

9. The Real Jdbye

The Real Jdbye Always Remember 30/07/08

GBAtemp Patron
    The Real Jdbye is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Mar 17, 2010
    Norway
    Alola
    Most things on the target console will be removed during the transfer anyways. EmuNAND->SysNAND seems to work fine from what I have heard, but transferring to emuNAND seems to be problematic (errors halfway through once the target system reboots and you have to boot back into emuNAND, problems getting the transferred data to be recognized etc... It seems to work out in the end but I can't remember what the workaround was)
    I did sysNAND->sysNAND myself and that went just fine, from a 9.2 console to a 9.0 one when the latest was somewhere between 9.6-9.9, using the eshop version check bypass with NTR-CFW on the target console (n3DS) and the spiderhax based version check bypass payload on dukesrg's site on the source console (o3DS). But I digress.
    emuNAND->sysNAND by extension should also work fine as I don't believe the source system reboots until the process is complete, I could be wrong though.

TheGrayShow1467 likes this.
  10. Sonic Angel Knight
    OP

May 27, 2016
    United States
    New York
    Okay, so i found a possible seller who says the system is on 10.7, Is it possible to install a9hl on the system without a hard mod downgrade?

11. Tiibz

Tiibz GBAtemp Regular

Aug 22, 2014
    France
    Yes, but you'll need an exploitable game like Cubic Ninja, Zelda OOT3D, Freakyforms etc...
    Note that appart from Freakyforms and Cubic you will need to Install the hax to the cart (so that means access to the homebrew launcher or powersave)

12. Sonic Angel Knight
    OP

May 27, 2016
    United States
    New York
    I know, i can handle it from there, i just needed to know if it could be done, or i would have passed on the system and looked for lower one. I'll be able to use my legend of zelda ocarina of time to get homebrew running and perform downgrade safely correct?

Last edited by Sonic Angel Knight, Jun 15, 2016
  13. Tiibz

Tiibz GBAtemp Regular

Aug 22, 2014
    France
    Yes, if you can inject the hax in the cart with either the homebrew launcher or a powersave (or any kind of device that can write saves to a 3ds cart)

14. Sonic Angel Knight
    OP

May 27, 2016
    United States
    New York
    I will do the downgrade then, i suppose. Glad it can be done on 10.7 then after i install the a9hl and cfw, then just do the normal system transfer from the system menu, correct?

Last edited by Sonic Angel Knight, Jun 15, 2016
  15. Tiibz

Tiibz GBAtemp Regular

Aug 22, 2014
    France
    Yup

16. Sonic Angel Knight
    OP

May 27, 2016
    United States
    New York
    just curious, what if i just use a nand back up and flash it to the new system, would that just duplicate the stuff on the new system?

17. Tiibz

Tiibz GBAtemp Regular

Aug 22, 2014
    France
    No ! Don't do that ! A Nand is unique to each console you can't just swap nands between consoles

18. Sonic Angel Knight
    OP

May 27, 2016
    United States
    New York
    Okay, recent update, i got my new 3xs xl today, and i followed the guide on github by plaiced, i installed a9hl with 0 errors, but for some reason i have what is called a luma cfw by @Aurora Wright which is not what i remember from before when i had done it on my o3ds. If i remember, there was something about pasta and cake cfw, so i think the guide has changed or been updated.

My first question is was that change necessary?
    Second, what are the differences between the pasta cake thing and the new luma thing?
    And last is Is it safe to do system transfer to the new 3ds from old 3ds? What will happen and will there be any problems? I hope that someone who has experience with system transfers can tell me cause i don't wanna mess things up.

19. Dorimori

Dorimori professional lurker

Mar 17, 2016
    United States
    possibly in your closet
    The full a9lh used to use MiniPasta and CakesFW, however in the updated guide, it's been replaced by Luma3DS. I don't know much about system transfers, as I've only done one from SysNAND -> SysNAND.

20. Tiibz

Tiibz GBAtemp Regular

Aug 22, 2014
    France
    Don't worry Luma3DS is a very good if not the best CFW currently.
    As long as your two consoles are fully updated with Luma you can perform the system transfer like normal