Vanishing Cheats?

Discussion in 'Acekard' started by Atashi, Feb 16, 2010.

Feb 16, 2010

Vanishing Cheats? by Atashi at 3:13 AM (765 Views / 0 Likes) 6 replies

  1. Atashi
    OP

    Member Atashi Out of the Loop

    Joined:
    Feb 4, 2010
    Messages:
    176
    Location:
    Ontario, Canada
    Country:
    Canada
    I'm not sure what's happened, but it's probably something I messed up while tinkering around with things.

    Last week I had enabled some cheats in Star Fox Command, mainly to allow steering with the + control instead of the stylus.

    Now I go to run Star Fox Command, and the cheat wasn't working, so I went to see if they were still enabled, and now I get the error "Error No Cheats found in DB". I've tried replacing the USRCHEAT.DAT file, rebuilding the CC database, etc, but it still tells me there's no cheats for Star Fox Command -- yet there were abunch there last week.

    I opened the USRCHEAT.DAT file in a hex editor and did a search, and found that there are indeed cheats in there for Star Fox... so I can't figure out why AKAIO is no longer associating the cheats in the database with the actual game.

    I'm using AKAIO 1.5.1 on an Acekard 2i in a DS Lite.

    Thanks!

    -Atashi
     
  2. elixirdream

    Member elixirdream GBAtemp Legend

    Joined:
    May 27, 2008
    Messages:
    10,007
    Location:
    6th Dimention
    Country:
    Malaysia
    go to the game,
    press start,
    choose cheats fro, the akmenu
    it will then pop out a error screen (no cheats found in DB)
    press A - OK
    it will bring you to the cheat selection screen
    Press Y to SELECT DB - choose usrcheat.dat and rebuilt..

    by the way, where did you put your latest cheat file?
     
  3. Atashi
    OP

    Member Atashi Out of the Loop

    Joined:
    Feb 4, 2010
    Messages:
    176
    Location:
    Ontario, Canada
    Country:
    Canada
    Thanks elixirdream - I've tried that but it still comes back with no cheats in db.

    I have the latest file in the /__aio/cheats file where the original one was. I left the original one named usrcheat.dat and renamed the 'temp' one as 'tempcht.dat' and I've tried both of them but it keeps telling me there's no cheats in the database.

    I've been trying to figure out how the game titles are matched to the database, i.e. if it is by name or game code or whatever. When I search the database, I can find the game code string in one location, then the game title in two locations, for the (E) and (U) versions.

    -Atashi
     
  4. elixirdream

    Member elixirdream GBAtemp Legend

    Joined:
    May 27, 2008
    Messages:
    10,007
    Location:
    6th Dimention
    Country:
    Malaysia
    *faint*

    my last suggestion would be backup all your .nds and .sav
    then format your sd card (prefer with panasonic sd formatter)

    place a new akaio1.5.1 + latest loader into your sd card
    then repeat what i told ya or whatever you have been doing
     
  5. Atashi
    OP

    Member Atashi Out of the Loop

    Joined:
    Feb 4, 2010
    Messages:
    176
    Location:
    Ontario, Canada
    Country:
    Canada
    This is maybe a stupid question that I should have mentioned in the first place - I did say that it was probably my own fault...

    Would it matter if the rom files had been edited? In the case of Star Fox, I used a program called Rommer to 'fix' the title because it was in all upper case, so I changed it to upper/lower case. I didn't alter or hack anything else, just went from U/C to upper/lower case title. I don't know if that is when the cheats stopped working, as I don't use the game very often, but having everything in upper case was really bugging me. (I know...OCD much?)

    Thanks again for the help & suggestions elixirdream!

    -Atashi
     
  6. elixirdream

    Member elixirdream GBAtemp Legend

    Joined:
    May 27, 2008
    Messages:
    10,007
    Location:
    6th Dimention
    Country:
    Malaysia
  7. Atashi
    OP

    Member Atashi Out of the Loop

    Joined:
    Feb 4, 2010
    Messages:
    176
    Location:
    Ontario, Canada
    Country:
    Canada
    Thanks for that link elixirdream - that's a great tutorial!

    The game code, as in the four character alphanumeric code, is unchanged. All I did was edit the title from STARFOX COMMAND to StarFox Command.

    Edited to add: Thanks again elixirdream! The answer was in the tutorial... I had no idea about the 8-digit CRC, which changed when I edited the ROM title. That's why the cheats had 'vanished'...

    All fixed now! [​IMG]

    -Atashi
     

Share This Page