Validating roms

Discussion in 'NDS - ROM Hacking and Translations' started by Mumford, Jul 12, 2012.

1. Mumford
    OP

Mumford Newbie

Newcomer
    Jan 11, 2009
    United States
    Anyone familiar with how to validate nds roms?, my google fu is too weak to find a solution.
    The image on the left is of a clean rom of Bllack 2 but when i add the pokestation patch it loses it's properties thus the image on the right.

I got so far as downloading this DS scene rom tool to check but i'm not sure how to work it to make it recognize the rom....
    [​IMG]

2. Auryn

Auryn GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jul 21, 2011
    Swaziland
    You can't if you don't make a custom database.
    The tools reconize the rom just because of a checksum that will give you all those information.
    If you patch the game, it will generate a new checksum that isn't in the normal database so it show up as unknow rom.

3. Mumford
    OP

Mumford Newbie

Newcomer
    Jan 11, 2009
    United States
    Thanks for the reply

Dayum is that so?.... there any threads on custom databse tutorials?

4. Auryn

Jul 21, 2011
    Swaziland
    I never interested on doing it but I believe that if there is a place where the format of a database is written somewhere, it's probably found at " www.no-intro.org ".
    Alternatively, just open up a .dat file with an hexeditor, it's probably only coma separated values or something like that. I don't believe it's something very fancy.

5. Pong20302000

Pong20302000 making notes on everything

Sep 8, 2009
    One's inner self
    if you want to check rom data wise

[​IMG]

thats the tool i use

thats a patched pokemon rom

security bad just mean its not encrpyted

but its green everywhere else to show it has a decent header and all bytes are there

note it wont tell you tho if its missing the scene header data

if u use wood dumper r85 it will get full dumps

6. Auryn

Jul 21, 2011
    Swaziland
    I just stepped into THIS in the news section here at GBATEMP. I believe that is what you are looking for and somebody is doing it for you already :P