Mei-o

Generic Asian Kid™
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Does anyone have any idea about the prices of second-hand, fairly-new VAIO models in Akihabara? I could drop by some time soon since I've saved up a bit and kind of want a new laptop.

Raki

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Originality said:
Just wondering, why do you specifically want a VAIO? They tend to be the most expensive from my observations.

and the quality is not very good...

Mei-o

Generic Asian Kid™
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Well, I've had bad experience with Toshibas so no. Samsung, I might consider. And yeah, I said VAIO because of the assumed availability(lolSony). Something from the AW, F or CW series could be nice, heck, I could even settle for a W(just no pink). I'm pretty sure the Japanese folk currently have better laptops, so I would be glad to take one off of their hands.

Originality

Chibi-neko
Trophies
Website
metalix.deviantart.com
XP
Country
Alright, fair enough. Beware that a portion of VAIOs sold "second hand" tend to be stolen products (I've seen some shady people even trying to pass one onto me, and I was only 14 at the time!) and I've heard it's a worldwide problem. For some reason, it doesn't seem to happen to laptops from any other brand (or at least, not nearly as much).

My first laptop was a Toshiba Portégé 7010CT. Best damn laptop evar! Sure it was old, and weak, but I spent to much time tweaking it to perfection that it outperformed some laptops two years newer than it!

If you might consider Samsung, you might also consider Acer, which has made some really nice laptops lately. Packard Bell have been releasing less and less laptops as the years go by so no point looking for them, and whilst HP produce some premium laptops (yet still cheaper than VAIOs), they apparently have the worst customer support ever, should anything go wrong. You could also look for a Dell laptop (which are the cheapest around) but... it's Dell. They define "cheap", and you get what you pay for.

Aside from the above advice, there's little more I can say. I've never been to Akihabara, so you should probably look around and see what you find. Try searching for "refurbished" laptops in local websites. They may not be as reliable, but they've been professionally fixed so they should still have warranty.

syko5150

GBAtemp Syko!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
i dont know how much a used Sony VAIO is but i can find out for you...the other day when i was in Akihabara at Laox i seen Sony VAIO new for about 71,000 yen what kind of price range are you looking for?

Mei-o

Generic Asian Kid™
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Originality said:
Alright, fair enough. Beware that a portion of VAIOs sold "second hand" tend to be stolen products (I've seen some shady people even trying to pass one onto me, and I was only 14 at the time!) and I've heard it's a worldwide problem. For some reason, it doesn't seem to happen to laptops from any other brand (or at least, not nearly as much).

If you might consider Samsung, you might also consider Acer, which has made some really nice laptops lately. Packard Bell have been releasing less and less laptops as the years go by so no point looking for them, and whilst HP produce some premium laptops (yet still cheaper than VAIOs), they apparently have the worst customer support ever, should anything go wrong. You could also look for a Dell laptop (which are the cheapest around) but... it's Dell. They define "cheap", and you get what you pay for.
I think that maybe because...they're easily recognizable?

I was also considering Acer, since it's my current laptop's brand. And don't worry, I won't be getting a Dell.
tongue.gif

QUOTE(syko5150 @ May 2 2010, 03:27 PM) i dont know how much a used Sony VAIO is but i can find out for you...the other day when i was in Akihabara at Laox i seen Sony VAIO new for about 71,000 yen what kind of price range are you looking for?
I saw a brand new VAIO for around 49,000 so I thought that maybe I could find a used one for around 20,000-30,000. Do you think I'm underestimating the prices? I kind of want to find out in advance since I can only be there for half a day or two.

syko5150

GBAtemp Syko!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
well i'm not too familiar with the used prices but places like Yodobashi don't have any laptops listed at lower then 55,000 and thats for an Asus laptop and Sony has always been on the expensive side not to mention Japan is expensive enough.After doing some research from different stores it seems new Sony VAIO range from 71,000-253,000 so if you're really looking to get a used one i wouldn't expect to find one 20,000-30,000 unless you want an older one.You might want to look into getting another brand that would be cheaper with better specs.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @OctoAori20, Cool. Same here.