uTorrent Download Speed dead ?

Ibcap

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've heard scene content usually hits usenet first, even before torrents or file hosts, but I don't know if that's accurate. a lot of people don't seem to know about usenet at all.
Kind of. The way is works is:
First the scene releases to their topsites obviously, which only a select handful of people will have access to. Then after that its autosnatched by bots run by usenet indexers and 0day torrent trackers. 0day trackers are essentially the same as a usenet indexer but for private torrents, they focus on scene content and speed rather than p2p content like most other trackers do. TL or AR will get the scene releases around the same time as top usenet indexers. Then from there it spreads to specialized private trackers, like ggn/ptp/btn/whatever depending on the content type, and then to public trackers, ddl sites, etc.

Reactions: godreborn

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
this is what I use for usenet:

upload_2021-3-30_13-8-43.png

those are probably the episodes that were missing.

Joom

 ❤❤❤
Trophies
Website
mogbox.net
XP
Country
United States
jdownloader
Gross. Anything that relies on Java isn't the best at anything. I'm also aware of MiPony, IDM, RapidLeech, and Orbit. The fact that these things exist just to make dealing with file lockers less of a hassle should tell you something about the medium you use. These also don't mitigate the issue of file poisoning, or part corruption.
I've heard scene content usually hits usenet first
You'd be correct. Technically, releases are uploaded to a private FTP somewhere (known as a "topsite"), then they're posted in a newsgroup. Then the releases propagate from there. You'll never see scene groups release as a group on torrent trackers, though their members may act individually on them. It's best to not be known on a torrent index because it just makes you Fed bait. Usenet is also possibly the fastest medium out there, but dealing with subscriptions and retention is too much of a headache for me personally since I can just use torrents for fresh stuff. You can use RSS feeds for torrents as well, so they're not all that different from NZBs. That said, I've shelled out money for a dedicated seedbox for several years, so I feel you're gonna end up paying something regardless of which way you go.
Im not sure about auto extracting
Depends on the client you use. I believe qBittorrent and Deluge can auto extract. You may have to supply the RAR/7z command line executable since they may not bundle it, but that's really not a problem.

Reactions: Henx and godreborn

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
qbitorrent is the torrent app I use when I use torrents. not sure how good it is really, but it was recommended to me.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

and, obviously, sabnzbd is what I use for usenet. I originally on itchy cat, which I'm not sure if it's still around. it's like usenet, but before you actually use usenet.

Joom

 ❤❤❤
Trophies
Website
mogbox.net
XP
Country
United States
qbitorrent is the torrent app I use when I use torrents. not sure how good it is really, but it was recommended to me.
It's probably the best client for Windows. Deluge is ok-ish, but it's a lot better on Linux, as is pretty much every other popular client since they're just wrappers for the libtorrent library. I think qBt also uses libtorrent, but it at least doesn't use some bastardized port of Qt/GTK for the UI like just about everything else. This also allows it to integrate into Windows much smoother, and it doesn't look like a non-native application. The Windows versions of Transmission, Deluge, etc. are hacked together ports of their Linux counterparts, so while they get the job done, they're iffy to say the least.

Henx

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I wouldn't use anything that is not open-source. qBittorrent, Transmission and Deluge are.
These three are actively maintained. You can't go wrong with any of them. Deluge I believe might be the worse of the three, since the codebase is in Python, which won't be running native like C/C++.

With that said, if you want to earn some extra money, I would recommend installing BitTorrent Speed (made by BitTorrent Inc) on another PC. You gain BTT just by seeding. It amounts nicely at the end of the month. Just don't use it on your main machine.

SaulFabre

I like Yoshis and the Wii/Wii U scene.
Trophies
Website
saulfabreg-wiivc.blogspot.com
XP
Country
Ecuador
Try using this open-source program called qBitTorrent, it's based on BitTorrent but with new tweaks and fixes, it doesn't have ads, IP filtering, it is compatible with most torrent formats, and it's the best election since uTorrent and BitTorrent is now used for the bitcoin mining.

Download it here in this link FOR FREE: https://www.qbittorrent.org/

Greetings

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
qbitorrent is what I still use. heard it was the best torrent app. utorrent, as I've heard, has major security issues. I also now use sonarr and nzbhydra2 for usenet. I have them set up to boot at start, and they've always downloaded my tv shows from steaming services that I don't have. haha

Vila_

Spanish code for Spanisher codecs
Trophies
Website
vilagamer999.github.io
XP
Country
Spain
tl;dr
- utorrent is literally malware and it sucks
- qbittorrent is the best client currently
- use a vpn (mullvard recommended)
- jdownloader sucks and so does all the filehost sites like rapidgator
- usenet exists and is pretty good, check out r/usenet for more info and to find the cheapest deals
- godreborn has repeated the word usenet more than 20 times throughout this post

Reactions: Dr_Faustus

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
I seem to remember utorrent adding trackers from other torrents I added with the same files after prompting me and asking; even though they weren't the same torrents just the same files. I'm not 100% sure how this works. 'parts' might need to be compatible somehow. I think that now it is more useful to use other apps to download. I suggest to everyone, to take a look at lumigon.com, it is a blog for householders. Here you can find a lot of tips about tech, home and more others that can be useful advice for your problems.
The torrents are the same (they have the same infohash) only the trackers are different, that's how clients are able to recognize them as being the same. But if the files are different at all (some trackers automatically add an file advertising their site) then they aren't the same anymore, as that changes the infohash. Torrents from private trackers will often forcibly change the infohash as seeding a private torrent to multiple trackers messes up your DL/UL stats.
I really don't understand why people use torrents unless they can't find the downloads elsewhere. It's totally possible to find 99.99% of every game other than a rare game from 15-20 years ago on occasion without ever using torrents. They're terrible, and in my case I would get notices being threatened to be sued. I haven't used a torrent in probably 10 years yet I am able to get every game I want, regardless if it's for PC or console.
Free file hosts are trash, links are unreliable and get taken down constantly, and usenet isn't free and also has problems with takedowns. Private trackers are the best option. I will give you that public trackers are usually bad though, but they are still better than free file hosts, and cheaper than usenet.
It's probably the best client for Windows. Deluge is ok-ish, but it's a lot better on Linux, as is pretty much every other popular client since they're just wrappers for the libtorrent library. I think qBt also uses libtorrent, but it at least doesn't use some bastardized port of Qt/GTK for the UI like just about everything else. This also allows it to integrate into Windows much smoother, and it doesn't look like a non-native application. The Windows versions of Transmission, Deluge, etc. are hacked together ports of their Linux counterparts, so while they get the job done, they're iffy to say the least.
There are two different libtorrents. There's the one rTorrent uses (libTorrent, known in some linux package managers as libtorrent-rakshaka) which was made specifically for rTorrent and I'm not sure if anything else actually uses. And the one Deluge and qBit use (libtorrent, also sometimes known as libtorrent-rasterbar), which is completely unrelated to the former. On the list of software using the latter (per Wikipedia), Deluge and qBit are the only ones anybody actually uses. Are there other popular clients than these 3 on Linux? If so they're probably using something else.

Last edited by The Real Jdbye,

Dr_Faustus

Resident Robot Hoarder
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Free file hosts are trash, links are unreliable and get taken down constantly, and usenet isn't free and also has problems with takedowns. Private trackers are the best option. I will give you that public trackers are usually bad though, but they are still better than free file hosts, and cheaper than usenet.

While I agree with you on most of this, I will state that PT's are a pain in the arse to get into, going through hoops and interviews that make actual job interviews seem dead easy in comparison (at least back when I tried to get into them which was a decade ago).

I have not even kept track of what PT's exist now. I remember W.CD back in the day but what exists now in replacement I have not a clue. I was part of one PT but it was the easiest one to get into, and had been offline/online many times to the extent that even I do not think they have anything worth while anymore.

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
While I agree with you on most of this, I will state that PT's are a pain in the arse to get into, going through hoops and interviews that make actual job interviews seem dead easy in comparison (at least back when I tried to get into them which was a decade ago).

I have not even kept track of what PT's exist now. I remember W.CD back in the day but what exists now in replacement I have not a clue. I was part of one PT but it was the easiest one to get into, and had been offline/online many times to the extent that even I do not think they have anything worth while anymore.
Not if you know somebody who's already there and has invites. That's how I got into most of mine. And once you're in some of the big ones, getting into others is (for the most part) really easy since they recruit on eachother's PT forums.

Last edited by The Real Jdbye,

Dr_Faustus

Resident Robot Hoarder
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Not if you know somebody who's already there and has invites. That's how I got into most of mine. And once you're in some of the big ones, getting into others is (for the most part) really easy since they recruit on eachother's PT forums.
Unfortunately in my roundup of friends I am the only guy that is actively "in the know" when it comes to these things. Or they reach out to me about such things lol. I wish D******* still carried some cred like it did in the early days when I joined up with them but a this point I think it barely counts as a reliable and respectable PT these days, plus with the outages over the years I just stopped using them for the most part.

Only supposed to give invites to personal friends, and they specifically ban giving invites to people asking on forums/chat (whether public or private)
Also this is very true. You never want to ask for invites for PT's outside of other legit PT's or a trustworthy friend who can keep their ratio's good. Otherwise it ends up badly for you and the person who gave it to you. Hell if I recall some PT's have active watchers in different areas of the net making sure someone is not abusing the invite system. Not sure how true that is but it would not surprise me given how strict some operate on.

Reactions: The Real Jdbye

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Unfortunately in my roundup of friends I am the only guy that is actively "in the know" when it comes to these things. Or they reach out to me about such things lol. I wish D******* still carried some cred like it did in the early days when I joined up with them but a this point I think it barely counts as a reliable and respectable PT these days, plus with the outages over the years I just stopped using them for the most part.

Also this is very true. You never want to ask for invites for PT's outside of other legit PT's or a trustworthy friend who can keep their ratio's good. Otherwise it ends up badly for you and the person who gave it to you. Hell if I recall some PT's have active watchers in different areas of the net making sure someone is not abusing the invite system. Not sure how true that is but it would not surprise me given how strict some operate on.
Not familiar with that one (D*******)
I have friends that are "in the know" but they are already everywhere lol. So I rarely give out any invites, since the ones who aren't "in the know" don't really care about PTs and probably wouldn't take care of their account anyway. But I'm grateful to all my friends who have sent me invites over the years. Usually without me even asking.

Oh, I'm sure some do. Not sure if they'd check in a place like this but I'm not risking my account anyway. I care too much about the PTs I'm on lol.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    A @ anotherthing: The Nintendo servers are going down in 9 days anyway.