Hacking UStealth - Wii U 'Format Disk' Nag workaround :)

EinMagier

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
with upgrade to windows 10 i cant stealth my hdd with ustealth. i become a failure message: "unable to get handle on or read the following drive \\.\PHISICALDRIVE1 ... and so on. One Message for every ssd, hdd i have installed or usb-connected.
After the messages the ustealth-window comes up but with UNKNOWN status for all my drives. can someone please check this behavior with win10?

Reactions: OriginalHamster

OriginalHamster

UStealthy
Trophies
XP
Country
Cote d'Ivoire
with upgrade to windows 10 i cant stealth my hdd with ustealth. i become a failure message: "unable to get handle on or read the following drive \\.\PHISICALDRIVE1 ... and so on. One Message for every ssd, hdd i have installed or usb-connected.
After the messages the ustealth-window comes up but with UNKNOWN status for all my drives. can someone please check this behavior with win10?
Thanks for the heads up, another reason to no upgrade from 7

Troopage

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah, I've had Win10 since it came out and have had no issues with stealthing a drive whatsoever.
Thanks for the heads up, another reason to no upgrade from 7
You haven't upgraded yet? I swear it's great.

Reactions: TotalInsanity4

zektor

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hmm...tried UStealth today for the heck of it and it was a disaster. I used the R8 version and it appeared to worked fine for hiding my 500W Seagate backup plus drive that I have been using with CFG on the Wii U for some time now. Hid the drive and plugged it back into the Wii U. Launched CFG and it froze (had to pull the power). Tried WiiFlow and that could not see the drive. And yes, these are the versions that are supposed to have UStealth support linked on the first post

Next I brought it back to the PC and unhid the drive. That worked and I was able to view the contents again. Brought it back to the Wii U and it complained as usual that the drive needed to be formatted. I figured "good", I am back to normal. Nope. The loaders STILL froze the system.

I also tried the R7 release after this, hiding and unhiding the drive. In both cases, still it froze.

Finally I gave up and ran diskpart on the drive and wiped it out fully..partition and all. Copied a game back to it and tried it again with CFG. It worked find as expected.

So, in the end, UStealth did something to the drive that caused the loaders not to work with it anymore. Even unhiding the drive could not resolve it. Only a full partition wipe and reformat fixed the issue.

It's a great idea and it appears to be working for other people but I think I'll just deal with clicking cancel on the error message when the Wii U boots.

Last edited by zektor,

JaboJG

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Works great for me with WiiFlow and my Seagate NTFS drive with the cheap SATA to USB caddy from eBay.
My 1 year old turned the Wii U on this morning and formatted the drive before I could get the gamepad from him. Lucky I've got a copy of GetDataBack which restored my games.

wiimanofthenorth

Trophies
XP
Country
For those that know how, could someone compile a version of ScummVM that works with Wiiflow, to be able to see hidden drives? Otherwise I have to put the needed game files on my SD card.

I updated to Abz latest version today, and still no joy.

rw-r-r_0644

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
I did some further testing with a 4GB USB. It was formatted to FAT. This one worked with UStealth, but then I thought I'd try and format to FAT32 and try again... this failed. UStealth hides it but it's not really hidden. At this point I thought I'd format it back to FAT.... now, even FAT couldn't be hidden away.

Clearly the problem isn't UStealth itself... is it the way I'm formatting...? I'm not sure what else to do other than just put up with the nag.
If you want to totally format the USB (that might solve the problem) try this (if you are on windows):
-open command prompt (win+r,cmd,enter)
-enter DISKPART and hit enter
-enter list disk and hit enter
-check the number assigned to your usb key (you can check the size: probably somethong around 39xx-4xxx Mb if your usb is 4GB) (usually number is 1 but double check: if you choose the wrong number it could break your computer and wipe all the data from your hard disk)
-enter select disk [number assigned to your usb key] and hit enter
-enter clean and hit enter - this removes the entire partition table of the device
-enter create partition primary and hit enter - this create a new primary partition
-enter format fs=fat32 quick and hit enter - this format the partition in fat32 quckly
-enter exit and hit enter
-enter exit and hit enter
-Try to use UStealth now

Do it at your own risk and responsability!

Last edited by rw-r-r_0644,

BossRoss93

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@jayjay123 have you found someone to work on porting this over to c++? Or basically making it linux compatible? if not man, I may be able to find some free time and help you out with that? shoot me a pm if you want.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: :O:rofl2: +1