USN clean-up?

Zalda

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
i check the user submitted news daily and more and more I see topics like this pop up

http://gbatemp.net/t295383-woman-cuts-of-attacker-s-penis
http://gbatemp.net/t295385-outbreak-is-new...-coli-bacterium
http://gbatemp.net/t295362-russian-who-bur...dies-by-mistake
http://gbatemp.net/t295215-thieves-selling...aling-them-back
http://gbatemp.net/t295503-barcelona-signs...digy-to-academy

so yeah, topic that have NOTHING to do with anything related to tech news.
I think those kind of topics shouldn't be allowed, they just litter the USN.

today there were also way too many seperate topics in the USN. yesterday night i read the last topic at 11.30 PM local time, and now 12 hours later there were like 25 new topics! 15 of them were like this:

Silent Hill: Downpour - E3 2011 Trailer
Batman Arkham City E3 2011 Catwoman Reveal Trailer

ah come on, just put all those trailers in 1 post to try to make it clear.

Deleted member 473940

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
ShadowSoldier said:
What about E3? Maybe just have a new section for E3 so the USN doesn't get cluttered? At least just as long as E3 is around. That way it cleans it up a bit, and doesn't cancel out the world news.
We gotta live with all the E3 news flood for the next few days.
I dont think its necessary to have a E3 section just for this short period of time. Its only general gaming news..

Satangel

BEAST
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Sterling said:
First off, just because it's a gaming website doesn't mean USN has to be all about games. USN is where users submit news of all kinds. Shit, game related news doesn't happen everyday, but other stuff around the world does.

Here's a suggestion. Why not put a radio button selection that will alert the board to what type of news it is. Say:

• 3DS
  • Wii
  • DS
  • Retro
  • XBox360
  • PS3
  • World News
  • Rumor
  • Sale
  • ETC

If the news is a Game type of news, then it will be on the first page que for longer before being bumped down, or until a few more topics get posted. If it's a rumor or world news type thing, then they appear below the game news by default. Think of it like a sorting system that tells the USN that this news is lower/higher priority. After a certain amount of new game news then the last one in the que will be bumped down into the changing que. Say half the first page is reserved for game news, and then the rest are fair game for the world news to pop up.

Good idea, I really like this system. That would solve my problems.

Tanveer said:
QUOTE(ShadowSoldier @ Jun 4 2011, 04:24 AM) What about E3? Maybe just have a new section for E3 so the USN doesn't get cluttered? At least just as long as E3 is around. That way it cleans it up a bit, and doesn't cancel out the world news.
We gotta live with all the E3 news flood for the next few days.
I dont think its necessary to have a E3 section just for this short period of time. Its only general gaming news..

That is something I agree with too, we don't need a section for this week. I prefer it done like the guy above me suggests.

And yeah, I'm interested in world news but not in trivial news that is not even remotely interesting! Guy selling his kidney for an iPad 2? Boohoo.

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah, this has been an issue that's come up in the past.

My personal view is that the USN should be for gaming related news, but of course the interesting non-gaming stuff should be allowed. Just maybe moved to General Off-Topic. Maybe renamed User Submitted News to "User Gaming News" or something along those lines.\

As per E3, it's just impossible to keep people from posting a lot of news around that time and opening/closing a smaller board once a year seems impractical. It's easier to let people post all the E3 news and for the staff to keep summaries for pre-E3, per conference, and post-E3.

Zalda

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
it's clear that without the backing of any staff member this topic was bound to fail
frown.gif
sad to see the little members have no power at all here
frown.gif

Deleted member 473940

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Zalda said:
it's clear that without the backing of any staff member this topic was bound to fail
frown.gif
frown.gif
Thats the most pathetic line I have seen ever since joining here.
This is a great community. If other members(in large numbers) backed up your idea, it would have been accepted and worked on.

However there is a split in this decision, even within the staff members. So things are being left the way they are.

ProtoKun7

GBAtemp Time Lord Regenerations: 4
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Zalda said:
frown.gif
frown.gif
There have already been two staff members that agreed with you about having a separate section for things like that, but the fact is that even a lot of the "little members" have no trouble with the current system. Myself, I don't mind the current system either. I'm not opposed to splitting the news section, but at the same time, I'm not expressly advocating it either.

Sterling

GBAtemp's Silver Hero
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
ProtoKun7 said:
Zalda said:
frown.gif
frown.gif
There have already been two staff members that agreed with you about having a separate section for things like that, but the fact is that even a lot of the "little members" have no trouble with the current system. Myself, I don't mind the current system either. I'm not opposed to splitting the news section, but at the same time, I'm not expressly advocating it either.
Same here, but I would advocate a sub forum like the SC SDK is in right now.

Hakoda

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
USN is a place where people can post what they think other people should know about, they don't post it for nothing. It doesn't HAVE to be gaming of tech news, however a majority of it is. You don't like it, don't click on it. Can't find something you saw? There's multiple ways to search.

However due to high popularity, E3 should have its own section in USN for the time being. I really don't wanna see 5 threads on Nintendo's specs of Project Cafe.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: hot take: freddy fazbear's pizzeria simulator is peak fnaf