Using xdelta to patch rom in Ubuntu Linux

Discussion in 'NDS - ROM Hacking and Translations' started by Verstand Bumsen, Mar 26, 2010.

Mar 26, 2010
  1. Verstand Bumsen
    OP

Newcomer Verstand Bumsen Newbie

United States
    So I am new to Ubuntu/Linux and really love it so far but today I decided to patch Soma Bringer with the translation patch found here but I couldn't I tried using wine but it is not working for this. So I was wondering if there was anyway I can use the translation patch in Ubuntu Linux.

2. Mario92

Member Mario92 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Finland
    Same problem (with differend distro). Only solutions I have found is to send files to friend with windows machine or run windows on virtualbox [​IMG]

3. Bitbyte

Member Bitbyte GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Belgium
    Download Wine.

4. DarthNemesis

Member DarthNemesis GBAtemp Maniac

United States
    1. Get the xdelta3 package
    2. Run it with the following parameters: -dfs originalromname.nds SomaPatch.xd patchedromname.nds

5. Valiarchon

Member Valiarchon trentacles

Australia
    better fix - use windows.

6. ByteMunch

Member ByteMunch GBAtemp Fan

United Kingdom
    I'm on ubuntu too, but cannot use the terminal properly... is there a detailed guide anywhere? like, for simpletons?
    does that mean put

xdelta3 patch -dfs file:///media/7A37-662B/Downloads/NDS/game/game.nds file:///media/7A37-662B/Downloads/NDS/game/patch.xdelta file:///media/7A37-662B/Downloads/NDS/game/game_edit.nds
    Because from that i get
    xdelta3: too many filenames: file:///media/7A37-662B/Downloads/NDS/game/game.nds ...

7. Beige

Member Beige GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Fixed.
    I personally use Windows on campus and I have a Parallels virtual Machine of Windows XP for games and video converters. No other reasons. Windows turned into garbage in a week on my Netbook and I've been running Linux Mint on my Netbook for a good few months and it runs just fine. In fact, if people sold computers without Windows pre-installed, it could easily knock about $50 off the price tag.
    Linux is far more secure anyways.

8. Absynthe

Member Absynthe GBAtemp Regular

Italy
    Assuming those are the correct locations of the files. Wait a couple of seconds and "game.nds" should be patched.

9. RyanfromtheShire

Newcomer RyanfromtheShire Member

United States
    I installed xdelta3 via sudo apt-get install and I ran it through the terminal and got this output:

Code:
    ryan@Matilda:~$ xdelta3 -dfvs ~/Desktop/pw.nds ~/Desktop/pw.xdelta ~/Desktop/pwp.nds
    xdelta3: source /home/ryan/Desktop/pw.nds source size 256 MiB [268435456] blksize 2.00 MiB window 64.0 MiB
    xdelta3: target window checksum mismatch: XD3_INVALID_INPUT
    Anyone know what's going wrong?

10. Rydian

Member Rydian Resident Furvertâ„¢

Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
    United States
    1 - Place the patch and ROM in a folder.

2 - Use the "cd" command in the command-line to change the current folder the command line is working in to the folder you made. For example if it's in your user folder and in there you have you desktop and a path folder, you'd...
    cd Desktop
    cd PatchFolder
    Or whatever.

3 - Run the command, but for the files just use "./filename.whatever". The "./" means "current directory". Or maybe it's just a dot, no slash? I'm not in linux ATM and haven't used xdelta from it's command-line in a while.

11. jurassicplayer

Member jurassicplayer Completionist Themer

United States
    You could be using the wrong xdelta. IIRC there was an xdelta3 and an xdelta, both of which don't work with the other's patches (I think). Or you just have a bad ROM.