Using Spare space on flashcart?

Discussion in 'NDS - Emulation and Homebrew' started by IceShadowX, Jul 11, 2010.

Jul 11, 2010
  1. IceShadowX
    OP

Newcomer IceShadowX Member

United Kingdom
    I was browsing the NDS Homebrew pages and I just thought... Would it be possible for a hombrew browser (or a program that requires a slot 2 device) to be able to create like a 'cache' file on the Slot-1 FlashCart using the spare space that remains on the card for things such as buffering videos etc? That way people would be able to use almost any Homebrew App. And it would probably open up more doors for the homebrew world...

Or has anybody tried this already and failed?

2. tk_saturn

Member tk_saturn GBAtemp Psycho!

United Kingdom
    What's the point of caching a video to the Slot-1 device? Presumably that's where the video will be located in the first place.

More importantly, the write speeds on MicroSD cards are much much slower than the read speeds.

3. IceShadowX
    OP

Newcomer IceShadowX Member

United Kingdom
    Understandable but I'm just thinking to speed up web browsing, by using a slot-1 cache I know some do that already but what I'm trying to say is if the user were to go on youtube on their ds using a slot-1 browser... it would make sense to cache it to the SD card rather than decline access.
    As for speeds, my 4GB SDHC card writes at about 10 MB/s on a PC... Unless the DS slot-1 is slower or limited... it's possible...

4. tk_saturn

Member tk_saturn GBAtemp Psycho!

United Kingdom
    I've never used the browser on the DS, but I really doubt the DS have enough power to do Flash as in Youtube videos. It can't do AVI's, MPG's etc so how is it going to do flash? DSTWO on the otherhand might as you have the DIVX player in the works, and that also has built in additional memory.

Wait for the DSTWO SDK.

5. Rydian

Member Rydian Resident Furvertâ„¢

Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
    United States
    The problem with viewing online videos is the DS's processing speed.

It sucks, to be frank.

6. daxtsu

Member daxtsu -

Antarctica
    Not to mention the DS' wifi speed is like 1mbit or something stupidly slow like that.

7. obito

Member obito I can have a title?! :O

New Zealand

Wait, I thought there was that tunavids thing?

8. fearofshorts

Member fearofshorts GBAtemp Fan

Australia
    Yeah, but it requires a finely-tuned .AVI file. It basically is just as easy (if not easier) to just convert to .DPG.