Using original discs with FreeMCBoot?

Discussion in 'Sony PlayStation 1 & 2' started by VintageTorrie, Apr 15, 2015.

1. VintageTorrie
    OP

VintageTorrie Newbie

Newcomer
    Apr 15, 2015
    So for a while I've been looking around for SwapMagic but finally given up since every site selling it looks incredibly shady. So after coming across FreeMCBoot, it seems simple enough, I'll just need to go buy a Codebreaker disc.

So 2 questions I have, how would I get an original copy of an American / Japanese copy of a game working on my UK PS2? And is there any specific Codebreaker version I need?

Margen67 likes this.
  2. Foxi4

Foxi4 On the hunt...

pip Reporter
    Sep 13, 2009
    Poland
    Gaming Grotto
  3. Lumstar

Lumstar Princess

Mar 6, 2006
    United States
    Darling
    What about ESR patched backups? I haven't tried that.

HDD imports are sort of a chicken and egg problem. Disc region code doesn't really matter once installed, but you need to bypass it first. Such as via flip-top or network.
    In any case an NTSC/PAL capable TV is also recommended. It'll save time dealing with video modes.

4. migles

migles Mei the sexiest bae

GBAtemp Patron
    migles is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Sep 19, 2013
    Saint Kitts and Nevis
    my dad works for nintendo.
    or a rgb cable (i had a scart one for my ps2)

Lumstar likes this.
  5. VintageTorrie
    OP

VintageTorrie Newbie

Newcomer
    Apr 15, 2015

I'm using a slim, specific model being an SCPH-75003 if that makes any sort of difference. I have neither a network adapter or HDD.

Guess I could try that if I have any sort of issue with the Codebreaker method.

There's also another question I should ask, would this work with Japanese / American PS1 games as well when playing them on a PS2? Or would I need to do something to my PS1?

Edit: after looking on ebay and Amazon for Codebreaker 8.1, not finding one, but I do have a copy of From Russia With Love, so I could do that trick, but if I do that, will I need to do that everytime I want to play an import, or just the once?

6. Lumstar

Lumstar Princess

Mar 6, 2006
    United States
    Darling
    Homebrew does enable original imports on Xbox, but not PS2.
    PS2 needs a disc swap trick.

I haven't tried Breaker Pro. That's said to be a boot disc for PS1 imports on PS2.

7. DaFixer

DaFixer Dare to be stupid

Aug 29, 2010
    Netherlands
    In my mencave ;)
    Or better get a component cable for cheap ;)

8. Foxi4

Foxi4 On the hunt...

pip Reporter
    Sep 13, 2009
    Poland
    Gaming Grotto
    Since this is a Slim PS2, swapping isn't a problem - there's homebrew that allows you to stop the motor of the drive at any time, it's child's play. All you need to do is restrict the disc tray sensors, they're clearly exposed. Unlike with the classic model you don't need any swap key or boot disc to do this.

TeamScriptKiddies likes this.
  9. migles

GBAtemp Patron

Our Patreon
    Sep 19, 2013
    Saint Kitts and Nevis
    a component cable is also called rgb cable..

10. VintageTorrie
    OP

VintageTorrie Newbie

Newcomer
    Apr 15, 2015

How would I go about doing either of those then? Any particularly good guide avaliable?

11. osaka35

osaka35 Instrucional Designer

Nov 20, 2009
    United States
    Silent Hill
    Indeed, but component is not the same thing as RGB. To over-simplify it, RGB is a the rawer format and component is a derivative of RGB.

DaFixer likes this.
  12. TeamScriptKiddies

TeamScriptKiddies Licensed Nintendo (indie) Game Developer

Apr 3, 2014
    United States
    Planet Earth :P
    For free mcBoot, you can also just go ahead and install cogswaploader or cd/dvd loader on your memory card and use that to boot your imports. In fact, I know that Freemcboot comes with certain homebrew apps by default (can't remember what they are off hand), but you might already have a loader that will work. You will still need to use a swap trick regardless, but as Foxi4 has already stated, on the slim consoles, its easy as pie :P. As for guides for the sensors, just google it. I own the fat model myself so I can't really help you there, but there a zillions of tutorials on youtube and google in general :P.

13. DaFixer

Aug 29, 2010
    Netherlands
    In my mencave ;)
    Not in my country, component can go up to 1080i, scart only SD. VGA is almost the same as component.

14. migles

GBAtemp Patron

Our Patreon
    Sep 19, 2013
    Saint Kitts and Nevis
    people still don't get what i mean.
    both component cable scart and vga, are rgb cables, because all of them transfer separated colours. unlike a rca yellow cable plug of s-video.

this is what i meant with rgb cable. a type of cable that has a red green and blue channels.

15. DaFixer

Aug 29, 2010
    Netherlands
    In my mencave ;)
    Ow say it then in the first place, yes the color singals are separated.
    But with component and SVGA (yes Super VGA and not VGA what 99% what the world say) you get beter picture then RGB scart.
    And that is what I try to say.