Using DISKPART to format

I had a few thumb/pen drives that would not work with my Wii using USB Loader GX, but on the compatibility chart it said it was compatible. This is what I did to get them to work with Wii Loaders.

To use DISKPART a Windows Command Prompt--

- Go to START
- Go to RUN
- Type DISKPART (Wait for it to load... takes several/dozen seconds)
- Hit ENTER
- Type list volume (locate your thumb/pen drive be careful to not select your main HDD or something else)
- Hit ENTER
- Type select volume x (where X = the number of the volume listed EXAMPLE : select volume 7)
- Hit ENTER
- Type clean
- Hit ENTER
- Type create partition primary
- Hit ENTER
- Type format fs=fat32 unit=32k quick (type quick unless you don't mind waiting a hour)
- Hit ENTER
- Type list partition
- Hit ENTER
- Type select partition x (where X = the partition you've just created EXAMPLE : select partition 1
- Hit ENTER
- Type set id=0c
- Hit ENTER
- Type active
- Hit ENTER
- Type exit
- Hit ENTER

It's ready.

Lostbhoy

HEY YOU GUYS!
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Or you can just format with right click!

Generally not recommended to use thumb drives in the first place as they can cause issues with nintendont and are easily corruptible. Just get a hdd, they dont cost that much anymore!

Reactions: jeannotte

Crazynoob458

That Reshiram
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
you dont have to go to the start menu just press win and r
also try to avoid diskpart unless your going to use the clean command
why not rightclick your drive and press format?
or windows partition thingy
or linux gparted

AnotherMuggle

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
DISKPART clean is necessary when you want to remove all partition and formatting information from a disk... it basically leaves you with a disk that has no structure at all. Personally I used DISKPART clean to clear the parition table but I then use Disk Manager (Right click Start button then click Disk Management) to write a new parition table and create a new simple volume on the drive.

Or you can just format with right click!

Generally not recommended to use thumb drives in the first place as they can cause issues with nintendont and are easily corruptible. Just get a hdd, they dont cost that much anymore!

Right click format does not achieve the same thing as DISKPART clean. You are formatting only the parition visible to Windows. There can be other partitions, unused space, a MBR and various flags that would all remain intact after the format and sometimes you want/need to "clean" all that and start fresh :)

Last edited by AnotherMuggle,

omerfarooq

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Pakistan
please guide me
hey, i am new to this site and i dont know which is the proper thread for my question. my flash drive (fat32) works perfect with the usb loader gx. and now i want to use my seagate 2tb external hardive(thegreen one). i started by formatting it to nfts defaul allocation and then from wii backup manager formatted it again to be sure. i transferred games like i usually do from the sofatware. when i start usb loader gx on my wii. it prompts with this , select a partition or format. i am stuck at this point as i dont know what to do. if i click the option select on wii it shows 4 partitions with partition 1 only readable with 2080 something gb, the rest parititons are not reabale i selected the first one and it showed no games,(tired dropping the same game directly and what not. then i though of formatting the harddrive on wii in usbloader gx. messed it up too and now it shows 127.8 gb of free space with no games.(i again copied the games and still it said no games and same 127 gb of free space (original 2tb harddrive) i am sorry , i am a bit noob when it comes to computer thing like disc parititons and all. so please if anyone can help me on this. i am currently experimenting with a single game wii sport resort whihc works perfectly through my flash drive.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtu.be/MddR6PTmGKg?si=mU2EO5hoE7XXSbSr