Using an android phone to install arm9lh and cfw

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by mike a, Feb 23, 2017.

1. mike a
    OP

mike a GBAtemp Regular

Oct 28, 2014
    United States
    Ok, here's the deal

I have been reading the new plaitarch tutorial, and it looks like it might be possible with just an android phone.

I have no wifi where I live so I'd have to go to a hot spot like subway or something. I have no pc or laptop so I'd have to use my phone. It is a galaxy s4, and I can switch out the sd card while the phone is on without having to take the battery out. I have a torrent client app installed on it already. My 3ds is a new xl 9.9.0-26 with soundhax already installed on it. Thoughts?

I want to know if there is anyone out there at all that has used just an android phone to install cfw on their 3ds no pc. Please give input if you have done it

2. el_gonz87

el_gonz87 GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Aug 24, 2016
    United States
    Yes. Your phone can download torrents and transfer files to SD card, that's all the PC is required for.

3. nechigawara

nechigawara Citizen of Gamindustri

Oct 14, 2006
    Thailand
    Planeptune
    You also need file archiver app on your android so you can extract downloaded file too.
    And you will have extra folders created by android on your N3DS MicroSD card, which you need to delete after finishing installing. Also, I don't think this will work on O3Ds.

It would be hard work though.

4. Lilith Valentine

Lilith Valentine GBATemp's Wolfdog™ I drool on my knife

Sep 13, 2009
    Antarctica
    Between insane and insecure
    I would seriously suggest finding a friend who will let you use their computer. You can do it, but it's really not recommended. If something goes wrong it might be harder to troubleshoot

5. mike a
    OP

mike a GBAtemp Regular

Oct 28, 2014
    United States
    I have an rar app I can extract almost all extensions already lol. Didn't know about these folders I'd have to delete nothing in the tutorial says anything about that. Obviously I can delete the folders but I don't know which ones

6. el_gonz87

Aug 24, 2016
    United States
    The tutorial tells you all the folders to clean up, backing up the NAND backup would be a priority tho so upload that file to a cloud if you can.

7. mike a
    OP

mike a GBAtemp Regular

Oct 28, 2014
    United States
    Google drive I guess lol I never made an account on it. How big is the nand file anyway? I know it's a huge requirement

8. el_gonz87

Aug 24, 2016
    United States
    Lol that may work, here is a link to the size by device: https://github.com/Plailect/Guide_RedNAND/wiki/NAND-Size

I hope you get LTE phone service lol!

9. mike a
    OP

mike a GBAtemp Regular

Oct 28, 2014
    United States
    Lol i don't get any service on this phone its wifi only its kinda like I use it just as a computer

10. nechigawara

Oct 14, 2006
    Thailand
    Planeptune
    May be cause Wi-fi that doesn't come from home router always give the shitty speed.
    So using LTE to uploade a backup would be a lot faster.

11. mike a
    OP

mike a GBAtemp Regular

Oct 28, 2014
    United States
    Well I got 10+ gigs of space on my phones sd card so I can make a copy or 2 and put them there and upload later I know it'd take hours to upload 2 gigs to a cloud lol

12. addi33

addi33 GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Sep 12, 2016
    Gambia, The
    wow I have read a lot from plaitect to playlects but wow thats insane that you are able to spell P L A I L E C T that wrong, maybe if he would fork Retroarch he would call it plaitarch who knows, anyways yes I have Installed a9lh two years ago with a 80€ Phone with sysupdater and nonsafea9lhinstaller. took me 5-6 hours, but its possible.

nechigawara likes this.
  13. mike a
    OP

mike a GBAtemp Regular

Oct 28, 2014
    United States
    Read the tutorial now it's a lot easier I don't think it take 6 hours now lol, if it did take that long I think subway would get mad at me or something don't think I'd be able to do it then

14. nechigawara

Oct 14, 2006
    Thailand
    Planeptune
    Good Luck!!