Usenet Help (Please)

isobettathnu

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Okay. I am using usenet, and I really like it. But sometimes when i try to download something (games or not), it will just stick at 0-1 kbps. On most downloads, I get about 1,300kbps. But certain files for some reason make it 0 or 1. It's not my connection, because as I said, many files will give me 1mb/sec plus. I don't understand why some files have an incredibly slow speed and I'm wondering if anyone has advice for me.

For example, when downloading a file I will get this (using newsrover)
helpnt5.jpg

I've had this problem for a while but it's getting more and more frustrating, as many files would be good to have but I am unable to get). Any advice to fix the problem with slow to no speeds for certain files and average or good ones for others, would be appreciated.

EDIT: btw, could be wrong section but i didn't see where else it would fit in...

isobettathnu

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Im a noob at usenet. I just got it like a week ago-ish.
Dont even know what retention is :/

EDIT:
QUOTE said:
Days of Retention are important because Usenet newsgroup service providers don't have unlimited disk space, so they have to purge old messages from all the newsgroups over time. First in, first out, so the oldest stuff gets purged - they don't store a number of days, they store a number of bytes. Once a message is purged from the server, you can't download it to your local computer. There's no going back.
Just found that on a site after looking up usenet retention. Does this mean that I wont be able to get files that are a certain amount of time old?

isobettathnu

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
well, it happens at multiple files. for example,
from a.b.dvdr
most files from this section don't work... one that i am trying right now and getting this speed issue has age of 59.8.
another one that dosent work: age= 40.3

isobettathnu

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
damn.
well if anyone else has some suggestions for a solution, i would really like to hear them. Thanks!

also, apparently everything from a.b.dvdr gives 0kbps. its certain binaries that give me this problem, i guess. I just dont know why or how to fix it tho.

isobettathnu

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Alright I'll try one of those two here and post my results. Its more than half of the files I try and I really dont know how it could be my news reader client but I guess it's worth a try.

isobettathnu

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Alright. And thanks for the link to the tutorial.
I have been using News Rover and its file attachment locater. I recently tried nzb files and they seem to help the speeds. I havent been getting 0kbs anymore. Now for many files it is around 300-400. I still know that my connection is more capable than those speeds though. By the way I use the paid usenet servers (news-west, news-east, etc). I also tried grabit, as suggested in this thread and Im only getting speeds of 62 kbps. I feel like I am doing something wrong with connections and different servers... is it best to use one server and multiple connections or multiple servers each at a few connections? Thanks for the help so far guys. If anyone wouldnt mind taking a look at my server setup in the screenshot in the first post and telling me what to change or what could be holding the speeds back. Thanks!

EDIT: ugh. nevermind, the speeds still are at 0kbps in some binaries. Man, i'm really frustrated because I have no idea why it isnt working. I feel like it is my server setup's fault rather than the client. :/
huhon2.jpg

another picture of server setup. Anything i should try tweaking?
I don't know why I have all those servers, i just kinda threw in any usenet.com one i could find...

jaxxster

The Heretic
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
have they got a ssl encrypted server? I only use one server and allow 20 connections on that server

P.s. what price plan are you on? Try using just that unlimited server and allow 20 connections. I'd stop using newsrover too, it's ugly and i find it hard to use

luke

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
start.duckduckgo.com
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I would not use all 20 connections I find it slower and also your ISP might be throttling your connection so I would use any SSL servers if they are available.

I did use Newshosting but changed to there reseller Newsgroupdirect and never needed anymore than 8 connections on my 16 Meg Broadband maxing out at 1,600 kbps. I dont know if its different with your usenet but that should be enough. Also make sure you are not downloading anything over its retention and be aware that usenet.com say up to 150 days so that could be less on some groups.

I would say check your router as well and forward the port you are using with the software.

If you have tried all this then I don't know what else it could be?

isobettathnu

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
jaxxster said:
have they got a ssl encrypted server? I only use one server and allow 20 connections on that server

P.s. what price plan are you on? Try using just that unlimited server and allow 20 connections. I'd stop using newsrover too, it's ugly and i find it hard to use

I am signed up for unlimited on usenet.com. And I have tried all connections on one unlimited server but still, in certain binaries such as a.b.dvdr nothing will download at more than

isobettathnu

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Okay. using grabit, i noticed at the bottom, when trying to grab from a.b.dvdr , it says that it does not exist on the server. Im using an unlimited account from usenet.com. it should have groups like this, no?

EDIT: ugh sorry for double post :/

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    cearp @ cearp: Welcome hazbeans