Useful Programs

Discussion in 'GBAtemp Art Studio' started by Waynes1987, Dec 7, 2010.

Dec 7, 2010

Useful Programs by Waynes1987 at 12:25 PM (626 Views / 0 Likes) 2 replies

1. Waynes1987
    OP

Member Waynes1987 GBAtemp Regular

United Kingdom
    I hope this Forums Allowed, But i thought id be a helpful bunny today and enlighten some of you to a few programs I’ve come across.
    (I’m planning on posting a few screens of each to show a few of the uses, But i don’t have time for that yet. So please be patient)

The first Program is called Alchemy. :http://al.chemy.org/

This program has a few very useful tools to help with designing characters as well as coming up with designs. It comes with a mirror tool which if used correctly could half the time in creating a humanoid structure on which to design Armour etc. Although the tool is flawed in several ways when creating dynamic Images. It is possible to juggle the mirror tool to give your character a better pose than Full on. Standing to attention with arms by the side etc. We all know this pose is useless when creating an image, it leaves the drawing almost emotionless.

I personally use a generic Base model which is pre-designed using in parts the mirror tool, and free hand drawing (I suggest using a tablet for ease)
    Alchemy allows you to upload a background image on which to draw upon. Allowing you to use the other tools like 'Pull shapes' etc to help come up with interesting ideas for armour and such. You can then simply unload the back ground image leaving you with a clear idea of your created character.

This programs Free! And useful if you utilise its tools.
    With the 'Pull shapes' Tool your designs can out do your ideas. Making it perfect for those days when you've reached a mental block in your character design.

Alchemy also allows you to cut parts which need more detail and work on them separately. Once completed you simply "paste" it back on using programs such as Gimp, Or another of my favourite programs GIMP-Painter.

The main difference between GIMP and GIMP-Painter is an extra brush. Which might not seem like much but is very useful. It changes an normal line and makes it more dynamic, more stylized. Thus adding depth to your image.

Ill go into more detail about these programs at a later date.
    For now Tell me What programs do you use, and Why?

2. AP Hacker

Newcomer AP Hacker Advanced Member

Canada
    Interesting. As I am a game developer, these programs seem handy for creating concept art. I already knew about GIMP and GIMP-Painter, but I had never bothered checking out what the difference was.

Thanks, I learned a few things from that. Are you going to do more program overviews like that?

3. Waynes1987
    OP

Member Waynes1987 GBAtemp Regular

United Kingdom

Yeah im hoping to Go into alittle more detail with the ones ive spoken about too. (posting a few screen shots demonstrating what you can do with it ect)
    Hopefully the end product will be a Helpful topic. [​IMG]